Got MCAT score.. need some advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex_shimp

Application Cycle..... good luck all.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted in the MCAT forum, but thought that I might have a better answer here.

I am a Canadian .. I have just recived my MCAT score 29M (not too steller....) and I was still considering applying to American Med Schools... my GPA is 3.69 and i do have ok ECs... (TA'd, worked in a doc's office, research.. etc)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would advice me to schools that I might have a fighting chance in?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

alex_shimp said:
I have posted in the MCAT forum, but thought that I might have a better answer here.

I am a Canadian .. I have just recived my MCAT score 29M (not too steller....) and I was still considering applying to American Med Schools... my GPA is 3.69 and i do have ok ECs... (TA'd, worked in a doc's office, research.. etc)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would advice me to schools that I might have a fighting chance in?

Thanks...
For the American schools, your best friend will be the MSAR (order at http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msar.htm). With those stats you should have a good shot at the mid-tier schools, with lower-tier schools as backup. Just don't forget to only apply to those that actually take internationals (i.e. Canadians).

You may have a chance at some Canadian schools too - where are you from? However, Canada would probably, indeed, be a crapshoot. A U.S. acceptance somewhere would be pretty certain - but be ready to move anywhere (and take out MASSIVE debt). If you retook the MCAT in August and bumped it up by even a few points, you might have a better shot at Canada.

Good luck and don't give up - if you want it, you'll do it! Your stats are not as bad as you seem to think they are. :)