Got an F in Physics 2. Now What???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmaplez

Reaction score
I am rising premed senior bio major and have never failed anything in my entire life. I am in shock and don't know what to do. Are my chances of getting into med school gone forever? What should I do? My plan is retaking it on my last semester (Spring 2019) and hopefully getting an A since I won't be taking many science classes and I will be done with all my required courses.

Sorry if I sound ridiculous, but I have never failed a class and this is bringing my GPA to the underground. Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Are my chances of getting into med school gone forever?
No

What should I do? My plan is retaking it on my last semester (Spring 2019) and hopefully getting an A since I won't be taking many science classes and I will be done with all my required courses.

Exactly - retake, get an A.

this is bringing my GPA to the underground

An isolated F in the setting of an overall good GPA is fine. If you already had a low GPA and now got an F, well then that may be an issue.

Reactions: 4 users
You’re fine. Retake it and get an A. Why don’t you try retaking it sooner or perhaps in the summer?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above

Understand why you got that F and what you should do differently when you retake. It's important to understand this, so that you actually do well and help your GPA when you retake. Remember that F level work is far different from A level work, and familiarity won't automatically fix that disparity.

If you need more tips, feel free to ask!

Reactions: 2 users
You’re fine. Retake it and get an A. Why don’t you try retaking it sooner or perhaps in the summer?
Thank you. I have an internship this summer and the course is only taught in the spring.

I agree with the above

Understand why you got that F and what you should do differently when you retake. It's important to understand this, so that you actually do well and help your GPA when you retake. Remember that F level work is far different from A level work, and familiarity won't automatically fix that disparity.

If you need more tips, feel free to ask!
Thank you! I will ask if I need to.

Reactions: 1 user
I would retake it sooner, where you still remember some of the stuff, taking it a year from now, then you will likely forget everything and have to start anew.

Why did you fail and why didn’t you drop it midterm?

What are your GPAs now?
The final counted for a huge part of the final grade and I did ok in the midterm, but had a rough time studying for the final.

Is the internship required in your major? Will it make you a more appealing med school candidate?

If not, you might consider retaking Physics II at another school over the summer.
The internship is at my school. I was told by the instructor that I could retake the course during the summer (2 months), but I don't know if it would be smart to do so since it'll be fast pace and I have to do my internship and am doing the MCAT course.

I would retake it sooner, where you still remember some of the stuff, taking it a year from now, then you will likely forget everything and have to start anew.
I was told by the instructor that I could retake the course during the summer (2 months), but I don't know if it would be smart to do so since it'll be fast pace and I have to do my internship and am doing the MCAT course.

My science GPA dropped to a 2.9, but overall is 3.4

You’re a rising senior biology major with a sGPA of 2.9. That is not looking good.

I would recommend the following things:
- do not apply this cycle
- retake physics and get an A
- do everything you possibly can to ace all your classes senior year
- do well on the MCAT - you NEED this since as of right now you look like a bio major who is not good at science
- consider a post bac or SMP to bring up your grades and especially sGPA
- apply to DO schools

Reactions: 1 users