Got a W...Still Competitive at Top 20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's only logical that you should switch your priorities to lower ranked D.O. schools and Caribbean. It's a very well established fact that a single W in medicine shows an inability to do well in medical school or residency. If you are to get accepted into some low ranked program, there is hope that you may get fellowship after family med, but you're SOL for other residency specialties already.

Hope this helps.

OP, I ended up with 6 Ws and got into several top 20 schools with similar gpa and mcat. seriously. Just be able to talk about why you got the W in case you are asked. And I'm sure an A in orgo II would make the orgo I W look better, but even if you get less than that you aren't screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one cares about one or two W's. Your current GPA and projected MCAT prove that a withdrawal is atypical for you.

Your numbers are great. I don't think anyone will care about one W with those stats

Thanks guys, was scared cause my friend freaked me out saying that a W is worse than a C-. I didn't think it's a big deal because my numbers are good anyway.

A W says nothing about your performance in the course, while a poor letter grade implies poor work ethic, lack of ability, or other problems. W is always better, and can be explained without having to justify a demonstrably poor performance.