Got a 93...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjughead03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone...

I took my exam on Aug 4th and scored a composite score of 93..My breakup are as follows...Ant- 87, Physio-86, path-85 and DA-85...343/400

Some of u know of my score of first attempt of 84...

First Attempt Books read - Kaplan usmle for physio,Biochem,Patho
Micro- Clinical Micro made ridiculously simple
and some immuno from kaplan micro
DA - wheelers,Decks,okeson
Result - 84...Mistakes realised after exam - i never read the basic for biochem as its not covered in kaplan usmle books...

Second Attempt - same books excpet read basics for biochem from kaplan nbde and mosby.. DA - Threw wheelers out and just read fullers along with okeson ...I did almost every ASDA papers .Didnt try crack or kaplan q bank or Decks...

Result - 93..I just wanna say that hard work always pays off..u dont have to smart to get high scores..I am just an avg student with a gpa of below 3...I finished dentistry almost 6 yrs back and all this yrs of rusting didnt prevent from me from high scores...So IF i can, anybody can get good scores...

The irony of life is i applied to UIC this yr with an 84, My first application for this yr with an 84 as my new score was yet to come and was interviewed and got an acceptance from UIC today....I am yet to apply to single school with my new score of 93....I guess my repeat attempt seems to a waste of time and money...

So i guess not everything is ur control...I have posted this thread to inspire everyone ...Only way to crack tis exam is pure hard work and dedication...Feel free to ask ur doubts...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone...

I took my exam on Aug 4th and scored a composite score of 93..My breakup are as follows...Ant- 87, Physio-86, path-85 and DA-85...343/400

congratulations on such a high score and being selected .and thanks for the help u offering .
i just want to ask one thing if u can help i am using usmle kaplan review should i use usmle kaplan review or nbde kaplan i find nbde kaplan even in more depth then usme review can u help and which past papers should i use
thanks

hi, congratulations on getting such a great score.

i am retaking my exam , got 82 in my 1st attempt.

can you guide me as to how much time i should take to study again??

i had studied from review and decks.....dint do many papers, my mistake......
but now i am reading the first aid , and decks and revising the review.....plus want to do all papers.......do you think this will be sufficient???

pls do reply and guide me....thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey congart... thats a nice score, good job :thumbup:
iam studyin frm firts aid and decks only and some released exams,,, ..hows was the exam?
any way gud luck..

Try to read first 6 chapters of okeson and u can skip the second chapter and also cram the table given at the end of chapter 6...u dont have read whole chapter 6....

If u r studyn for first time..i recomend try reading atleast 8 to 10hrs everyday and 13 to 14 hrs in last month of exam...

Kaplan anat nbde is more when compared to medical...i read gross anat from first aid, histo and few chapters of neuro anat from kaplan usmle....

I dont think as a foreign dentist doing just decks and papers can take u beyond 84....but again tats just my persona opinion...

hi, congratulations on getting such a great score.

i am retaking my exam , got 82 in my 1st attempt.

can you guide me as to how much time i should take to study again??

i had studied from review and decks.....dint do many papers, my mistake......
but now i am reading the first aid , and decks and revising the review.....plus want to do all papers.......do you think this will be sufficient???

pls do reply and guide me....thanks in advance.

The most important thing when u r retakers like me is...check where u went wrong first time and work on those mistakes and shortcoming and change ur study plan...I think Only gross Anat is good in First aid...rest u need kaplan nbde or usmle...

I think u should be fine this time....

you are right, planning is very important......thank you so much........

Hey Drjughead03,

Congrats on such a nice score.....you have achieved which we all are dreaming right now.........

I am a foreign trained dentist too......I am preparing for the exam since May 2009.......I am reading thoroughly from my text books.....and then I go through decks and finally I do the ASDA questions.....

Do you think it is enough?

Thanks in advance

Hey Drjughead03,

Congrats on such a nice score.....you have achieved which we all are dreaming right now.........

I am a foreign trained dentist too......I am preparing for the exam since May 2009.......I am reading thoroughly from my text books.....and then I go through decks and finally I do the ASDA questions.....

Do you think it is enough?

Thanks in advance

I think it sounds fine..try the 04 pilot paper if u r doing like 340 and above u r safe and ready...

I do suggest everyone here try to check orkut thread on question a day..people post their exam questions there and discuss ansers...its very helpful....

Hello Everyone...

Result - 84...Mistakes realised after exam - i never read the basic for biochem as its not covered in kaplan usmle books...

Second Attempt - same books excpet read basics for biochem from kaplan nbde and mosby.. DA - Threw wheelers out and just read fullers along with okeson ...I did almost every ASDA papers .Didnt try crack or kaplan q bank or Decks...

Result - 93..I just wanna say that hard work always pays off..u dont have to smart to get high scores..I am just an avg student with a gpa of below 3...I finished dentistry almost 6 yrs back and all this yrs of rusting didnt prevent from me from high scores...So IF i can, anybody can get good scores...

The irony of life is i applied to UIC this yr with an 84, My first application for this yr with an 84 as my new score was yet to come and was interviewed and got an acceptance from UIC today....I am yet to apply to single school with my new score of 93....I guess my repeat attempt seems to a waste of time and money...

So i guess not everything is ur control...I have posted this thread to inspire everyone ...Only way to crack tis exam is pure hard work and dedication...Feel free to ask ur doubts...

Congratulations!
I have a couple of questions. How lond did you prepare for 2nd attempt afte your first one? Did you do any exam papers before 1980's? and what's okeson book you're talking about? thanks

congratulations on ur good score.i just want to know doing gross anatomy from first aid USMLE is same as good as first aid NBDE?.as i have usmle one.also do u suggest doing anatomy from only first is fine no need to study from else where.

congratulations on ur good score.i just want to know doing gross anatomy from first aid USMLE is same as good as first aid NBDE?.as i have usmle one.also do u suggest doing anatomy from only first is fine no need to study from else where.

I did the following - Gross Ant- First Aid
Histo - Kaplan usmle---its like a story..u can finish one
reading in 3hrs
Embryo- Refferered Brs Embryo and just read basic..

I personally feel anat is a scoring subject if u supplement the above with asda papers..

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been mainly having trouble with remembering random bacterial factoids & biochem details.

Do you recommend any resources that you thought did well in these areas?

Thanks in advance:)

Hello Everyone...

Hi congrats n thanks for ur valuable information.

I've been mainly having trouble with remembering random bacterial factoids & biochem details.

Do you recommend any resources that you thought did well in these areas?

Thanks in advance:)

Try the last chapter called key information in kaplan micro usmle..They have some good mnemonics and bacterial charts well organized...just cram those charts...

Hello Everyone...

congratulations to u!
am at the starting stage and i would like to know how many months are a must to prepare well and take the exam by stuyding at 6-8 hours per day.or is it too less......as u said 8-10 hrs the minimum ?
also i have the kaplan nbde review notes , Nbde First Aid, Netter's Anatomy, 06-07 decks and asda papers , please temme is that enough or do i need to add anything else. Is Kaplan review notes worth the exam?

would you mind suggesting wats the best sequence of going through all the material i have. I sometimes.....as it very confusing,sometimes i sit with papers and then taken up First aid and other things......

I certainly do wish u the very best.....and am looking forward to your reply so that i can help myself towards a superb score as yours.......

hi...congrats for ur awesome score....can u let me noe how to rememnber biochemistry and esp. microbiology...its so difficult...tell us about ur srategy to study..method to study...and yeah is nbde 1st aid is good or kaplan nbde..

Hello Everyone...

HI my name is sandra, i´m from spain, I´m just studying the dental decks and exams, I want to take the test by the end of October...any help on what else I need???
THankss

HI my name is sandra, i´m from spain, I´m just studying the dental decks and exams, I want to take the test by the end of October...any help on what else I need???
THankss

Hi Sandra..

U def need a kaplan nbde review books..Decks and exams can only take u upto 84 or so not beyond that....

Ali

hi...congrats for ur awesome score....can u let me noe how to rememnber biochemistry and esp. microbiology...its so difficult...tell us about ur srategy to study..method to study...and yeah is nbde 1st aid is good or kaplan nbde..

I tried the most primitive way..struck up charts on my walls in study room and used to cram one cycle every night for micro and biochem....

Repitition is the only way to remember micro and biochem...

congratulations to u!
am at the starting stage and i would like to know how many months are a must to prepare well and take the exam by stuyding at 6-8 hours per day.or is it too less......as u said 8-10 hrs the minimum ?
also i have the kaplan nbde review notes , Nbde First Aid, Netter's Anatomy, 06-07 decks and asda papers , please temme is that enough or do i need to add anything else. Is Kaplan review notes worth the exam?

would you mind suggesting wats the best sequence of going through all the material i have. I sometimes.....as it very confusing,sometimes i sit with papers and then taken up First aid and other things......

I certainly do wish u the very best.....and am looking forward to your reply so that i can help myself towards a superb score as yours.......

U seem to be in right direction and with right books...kaplan review notes is a must for exam....i would try kaplan review -decks-papers ..In this order...

Congrats on your score.
Do you think it's fine to use kaplan usmle notes (biochem,anatomy,micro,path, physio) for NBDE prep?
My friend gave these notes to me and I don't know if I should get new kaplan NBDE notes. Do you think USMLE notes covered similar stuffs compare to NBDE? Thanks.

thanks for ur replies....but i want to noe that is that buk known as kaplan nbde review buk better than nbde part 1 1st aid? and which buks did u refer for microbiology and immunology.

U seem to be in right direction and with right books...kaplan review notes is a must for exam....i would try kaplan review -decks-papers ..In this order...

thanks for replying.
>can u please suggest the time req for preparation, since the new ada rules about non retake is oin full swing from Jan2010 onwards.
>how many sets of revision for each subject or did u mostly concentrate on papers?
>also did u get ur ece evaluation - general or course-by-course.
I know schools ask course-by-course , but ada requires general, so is it okay to hav both ticked ?
am jus praying n gonna try hard to be in the right direction n do well

Hey congratss on ur score.....I m retakin my exam in Nov nd i also ve toefl exam on 19th of september...So i can stdy NBDE after the toefl exam...Dat means i ll b left with around 6 weeks to prepare.....Wat shud i stdy nd hw many hrs shud i stdy??? Please help..

hi there

i am got my results n they r 84 for part 1

i have decided to retake..paid yest..
do u think i should apply n give it a try

ada is comin with this rule of not allowing those who have passed the exam once to retake..so out of tht fear i just thought i should give one more shot

can u email me ur reply at [email protected]

thanks
bye n congrats...
Hello Everyone...

hI
Congratulations and celebrations for you
This is Hanan from India, i did dental school more than ten yrs ago. i feel lost.my email [email protected]
i started studying since august 2009 have a 4 day job with additional responsiblities etc
i read(sdnf) that reading the all text books is not required. so i stopped reading the text books. currently reading Den d 2007
i was planning to take exam before or in dec 2009 but i fear i may get stuck, if i get below 84/82 and if i will not be able to retake again in 2010 as the first attempt was already done in 2009 by law of ADA
but many suggested me to just take the exam for the feel of it because after 2009 no retakes etc.
i hope u r understanding.
many students near me taking the exam in nov or dec 2009. but i am scared. i will apprecaite if u can reply on my email. and Congratulations once again. thank u and best of luck in ur future endevoaers.

hI
This is Hanan from India, i did dental school more than ten yrs ago. i feel lost.my email [email protected]
i started studying since august 2009 have a 4 day job with additional responsiblities etc
i read(sdnf) that reading the all text books is not required. so i stopped reading the text books. currently reading Den d 2007
i was planning to take exam before or in dec 2009 but i fear i may get stuck, if i get below 84/82 and if i will not be able to retake again in 2010 as the first attempt was already done in 2009 by law of ADA
but many suggested me to just take the exam for the feel of it because after 2009 no retakes etc.
many students near me taking the exam in nov or dec 2009. but i am scared. i will apprecaite if u can reply on my email. and Congratulations once again. thank u and best of luck in ur future endevoaers.

hI

hI

Hello,

Congrats for a wonderful score of 93 :)

Since ur done with the exams i think you must b the right person to request for some information.

I have just finished with my NBDE part I waiting for the score.
Although hv no ieda whats my score gona be i wish to know what is the next step after i get my score?
1) WHAT is the application procedure to the Universities? Do i apply individually to the preferred Universities? or there is a centralised application system?
2) I am just done with my NBDE I & there are Universities which expect Part II score too so can i apply with just my NBDE Part I socre?

Please help me with it.

Thank you.

Hi...Sorry for late replies...

goalnbde - U can apply thru central process called Caapid..I think of the most of schools are done with deadline except for NYU,BU,UTHSC,COLORADO..

These schools dont need part 2 scores...

dental tsunami - Hi Hanan...well both the options r right...Do wat suits u best...If I were u...I would give my best shot for first attemp it self...Try studyn the material for part 1...When u do practise papers if u r getting in Mid 80s and 330 above in pilot then u ready ..Or else study more...

aka47g - usmle notes doesnt cover basics which is a must for nbde..I would suggest read kaplan usmle for physio,biochem,patho,neuroanat and histo...
Gross anat from nbde first aid...Do also cover basics of biochem from kaplannbde review book..

nida89 - I read micro from clinical micro made simple and immunology 2 readings from kaplan usmle micro book...Kaplan nbde is gold standards and must...First aid is good in parts BUT SHOULD NEVER BE USED FOR WHOLE PREP...

ddsMSD - U Need course by course evaluation..I recomend 3 sets of revision...Until u r confident that u can remember mostly everything... followed by one round of paper solving and second round of cramming ur mistakes from those solves papers by u...

Well IF ITS UR FIRST time 4months of 8 to 10 hrs followed by 12 to 14 hrs for last mont should c u thru...

shreyamadam - toefl is not important as nbde...u can giv exam and also get ur result while waiting on ur part 1 result..it needs max 2 to 3 days prep....My frnds have just walked in with no prep and got over 110 in toefl..so concentrate on ur part 1..dont worry on toefl...

Hello Everyone...

congrats 4 such agud score....plz can u summarize....all d buks n materials required.for nbde1....in one shot wid approx time required to study each...n total time requird 4 a fresher to start wid it....plz guide it wl b a gr8 help

My friend has taken the exam going on his fourth try now and he says the exam seems harder each time (he found no repeats from 3 times taking it) and although he keeps doing better by 20-30 ans, he is stuck at 83. The exam is harder second time around so watch out.

My friend has taken the exam going on his fourth try now and he says the exam seems harder each time (he found no repeats from 3 times taking it) and although he keeps doing better by 20-30 ans, he is stuck at 83. The exam is harder second time around so watch out.

I wonder how true is this that every retake the exam gets harder...do others also feel the same ??

Hello Everyone...

can u tell me crack ndbe is good or kaplan online q bank ?

Hello Everyone...

congrats

Last edited:
Congradulation for your score!Please tell me what kind of books did you use for the clinical teslets questions.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone...

HI
For DA, threw wheelers out means wheeler is useless ??
which book is more useful ? wheeler Vs fuller?
Is okeson a must to read??
plz help me!!
thank you all

Hey guys,
my scores are 80 part 1
78 part 2
108 Toefl
3.0 gpa

is there any possibility of an interview from nyu ,
apprecaite u'r valuable suggessions ? plzzzzzzzzzzz