Good way to differentiate ToRCH infections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diana_UC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

First off, anyone got a good way (basically, some buzzwords) to tell the ToRCH infections apart on the exam? Y'know, in case they give a more sublte clinical description of the baby and don't let on that the mom just ate a raw cat or something.....

2nd question - I always thought "blueberry muffin rash" was for CMV, but I have seen it listed for Rubella, too. Is it both or is it more characteristic of one or the other? Just mean they both cause thrombocytopenia? :confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its both, but Ive always classically associated it with CMV. To differentiate on the exam, you will get more info (i.e. mother with unknown immunization status, maybe an immigrant) that will help feed it one way or the other. Also remember the periventricular hemorrhage and calcification with CMV (Calcified Muffiny Ventricles was my mnemonic), and the other congenital abnormalities with rubella

Diana_UC said:
Hi all!

First off, anyone got a good way (basically, some buzzwords) to tell the ToRCH infections apart on the exam? Y'know, in case they give a more sublte clinical description of the baby and don't let on that the mom just ate a raw cat or something.....

2nd question - I always thought "blueberry muffin rash" was for CMV, but I have seen it listed for Rubella, too. Is it both or is it more characteristic of one or the other? Just mean they both cause thrombocytopenia? :confused:

Thanks!

As far as the first part, you should get a pretty good idea of whats wrong with the baby and as long as you remember the big hitters as far as congenital malformations (d/t drugs, diseases, etoh) then you should be fine. They wont say "child has a I/VI systolic murmur, whats the cause"

Idiopathic said:
Its both, but Ive always classically associated it with CMV. To differentiate on the exam, you will get more info (i.e. mother with unknown immunization status, maybe an immigrant) that will help feed it one way or the other. Also remember the periventricular hemorrhage and calcification with CMV (Calcified Muffiny Ventricles was my mnemonic), and the other congenital abnormalities with rubella
nice one!