Good Vision Research Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leverp2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an aspiring MD/PhD student with a strong interest in ophthalmology and I was wondering which of the schools have strong research programs in the vision sciences, and what are the particular research strength of each of the programs. I am currently in the application process and I've visited several schools, most of which seem to have fairly strong vision science research (UMich, WashU, Pitt). From what I have learned, I would be interested in pursuing something in the developmental biology, immunology, or biochemistry/molecular biology fields as it is associated with the cornea, lens, retina, optic nerve, etc.

If anyone knows any information about the top vision research programs, I would appreciate your input. Also, for the following programs does anyone have any other information, opinions, etc: UPenn, Columbia, Cornell, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Harvard, in addition to the ones listed above.

Thank you very much for your help.

leverp2000

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have some input? Are there any resources where I can find out this information?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
leverp2000 said:
Anyone have some input? Are there any resources where I can find out this information?

Thanks.

I'm also an MD/PhD student going through the match this year. I thought you might be interested in seeing this NIH ranking of funding to ophthalmology departments. I think it says something about funding success, which says a lot about the research at the various institutions. I thought it was interesting to see U. Wisconsin, U. Michigan, and U. Penn. in the top 5 with Harvard coming in at 31...not that this is the only source of funding...but it is the NIH...

http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/ophthalmology02.htm