good stats, bad interviews, no acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVETEETH

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of people who had good stats that didn't get into dental school? Especially after getting interviews?

I have a 3.55 non science gpa and a 3.6 science gpa...DAT scores of: AA/TS/PAT = 22/23/20.

I plan to apply to 16 schools. I would like to go to columbia, but will definitely go where ever I am accepted.

Thanks for your input!

BTW- I plan to send in my application in the next 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

You really shouldn't have too much of a problem with those scores. The interviews are usually pretty laid-back. They want to know if you're a decent person and have a true interest in dentistry. Maybe you could even reduce your list of 16 schools. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

Just don't be a jerk and you'll be fine. I don't think interviews are so much a chance for people to try and make a good impression on the adcomms, but rather for the adcomms to at least have a chance at weeding out the weirdos before they start sending acceptances. That is to say, a good interview most likely won't raise your chances of being accepted but a bad one could very easily lower your chances.

Just be polite, be yourself, and don't try too hard. You'll be fine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
Just don't be a jerk and you'll be fine. I don't think interviews are so much a chance for people to try and make a good impression on the adcomms, but rather for the adcomms to at least have a chance at weeding out the weirdos before they start sending acceptances. That is to say, a good interview most likely won't raise your chances of being accepted but a bad one could very easily lower your chances.

Just be polite, be yourself, and don't try too hard. You'll be fine. :)

Well, I don't think I'm a weirdo or a jerk, but I was rejected post interview at Baylor. But, I was accepted first round at both of the other Texas schools.

My stats were pretty good. 3.9 GPA and 19 AA 21 Science. My personality just didn't "click" with some of my interviewers at Baylor. Plus, I was super nervous, and I think it showed.

So, to answer your question. Yes, an interview can blow your chances regardless of your stats. I think I'm a good person with a good personality and a lot to offer any school. I just didn't let that shine on my Baylor interview like I did at the other two schools, and it got me a big fat rejection letter :thumbdown:

It's just too competitive to not think interviews don't matter or matter very little. Schools have the luxury of picking from a large group of competitive applicants. And to be honest, a 3.9 GPA is not gonna separate you from someone who has a 3.5. They are both good, and at the interview you are at the same level, IMO. I believe part of it is a matter of luck to, with who you get for an interviewer. Just gotta roll with the punches and do your best.

ILOVETEETH said:
Does anyone know of people who had good stats that didn't get into dental school? Especially after getting interviews?

I have a 3.55 non science gpa and a 3.6 science gpa...DAT scores of: AA/TS/PAT = 22/23/20.

I plan to apply to 16 schools. I would like to go to columbia, but will definitely go where ever I am accepted.

Thanks for your input!

BTW- I plan to send in my application in the next 2 weeks.

nice numbers ILT!!! you recently took the dat, eh? do you mind telling why you like to go to columbia? i've heard some good stuff and some really bad stuff about cu and would like to know more about it if you can help out. thanks man!

critterbug said:
...I think I'm a good person with a good personality ....
QUOTE]

are you sure about that Critterbug?
damn, all this time i have been thinking that you are a jerk. LOL

just kidding there buddy. its really funny how people think that just because their numbers are high the acceptance letters will be coming non stop. not true at all. i have heard many stories of that sort.