"Good Residency Guide"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hj0517

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing to make judging the merits of a program? I know of scutwork.com but quite a few reviews are outdated. I'm moving from the UK so naturally have little knowledge about the vast array of programs out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there such a thing to make judging the merits of a program? I know of scutwork.com but quite a few reviews are outdated. I'm moving from the UK so naturally have little knowledge about the vast array of programs out there.

I'm not aware of any such guide. Most folks learn about residencies based on word of mouth. US med school applicants frequently sit down with advisors/mentors in the desired specialty and find out what they can about the various programs. Usually the community within each specialty is a small one, and a good advisor can tell you -- "don't go here, the chairman is a SOB and you don't want to work for him", and "this place is dropping off the map in terms of quality", but "this program is really starting to make a name for itself", and "we had a graduate who went to this program and seems to really like it". Talking to alumni from your med school at various programs is also a good way to find out whether a place is good versus malignant. Coming from abroad, you probably won't have access to this kind of input, so you probably will need to focus on (1) location, (2) national reputation of affiliated med schools, and (3) what you can glean reading between the lines during interview day. Good luck.

thanks Law2Doc, I figured as much but just put that feeler out there "just in case", I'm going on elective for 8 weeks so hopefully I can ask some of the 4th years / residents. Thanks for the info!