Good place to observe ENT surgery online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTAfoHIRE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Im a premed student interested in ENT and I was wondering if there was a good organized location where I could see the different kinds of procedures that an ENT performs. I have tried youtube but its kind of hard to find stuff unless you know exactly what you are looking for and being a premed that is usually not the case. ORlive doesnt seem to have a lot of ENT stuff. I was primarily looking for skullbase/oncology surgeries if it matters.

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Docta,

You've already mentioned the two websites i would have recommended. Honestly, if i were you I would just google (or google video) typical procedures that you are keen to watch- i appreciate you may not know their names now, so here's a couple to get you started

head and neck oncology:

-Radical Neck dissection (any variant)

skull based surgery (most in conjunction with neurosurg):

-acoustic neuroma resection (any approach)

Im sure youtube will have videos of both. Hope they whet your appetite :).

Goodluck

Hello everyone!

Im a premed student interested in ENT and I was wondering if there was a good organized location where I could see the different kinds of procedures that an ENT performs. I have tried youtube but its kind of hard to find stuff unless you know exactly what you are looking for and being a premed that is usually not the case. ORlive doesnt seem to have a lot of ENT stuff. I was primarily looking for skullbase/oncology surgeries if it matters.

Thank you so much for your help!

Although not exactly what you were asking about, www.sinusvideos.com has a lot of excellent videos of endoscopic sinus surgery.

There's also a really good multipart video of a neck dissection on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uilaptogdU.

Other ideas:
1. the related videos on the right side of the youtube video link
2. Search google or youtube for terms like neck dissection, head/neck/mouth/throat cancer surgery, laryngectomy, parotidectomy, thyroidectomy, parathyroidectomy, glossectomy, pharyngectomy, skull base surgery, acoustic neuroma surgery, CSF leak repair, craniofacial resection.

Members don't see this ad :)
glad to see the sinus videos website made it.. That's a very well done site and a nice resource that I was planning to recommend.

Many thanks guys. Now all I have to do is actually make it into medical school haha.

As a random side question: How helpful will a PharmD be in getting a oto residency and within the actual profession? Im currently finishing one up before applying to medical school. I know this is far in advance, but im just curious.

Many thanks guys. Now all I have to do is actually make it into medical school haha.

As a random side question: How helpful will a PharmD be in getting a oto residency and within the actual profession? Im currently finishing one up before applying to medical school. I know this is far in advance, but im just curious.

Just curious how you already know you want to do oto :D. I don't think it would be any more beneficial a background for oto over other medical specialities (e.g. its not like engineering for rad onc or radiology, which can be rationalised)

Just curious how you already know you want to do oto :D. I don't think it would be any more beneficial a background for oto over other medical specialities (e.g. its not like engineering for rad onc or radiology, which can be rationalised)

Haha I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I am not actually sure that I want to do oto. In fact I am very aware of many obstacles and years that stand between me and actually making a decision of what kind of medical specialty I want to pursue. However oto quickly went from one of those specialties that I was sure I was never going to have an interest in (mainly because I was not fully aware of all it encompassed) to something that I cant stop thinking about. Whether or not this interest will translate into medical school remains to be seen. And like I said, I still have to get into a medical school.

Also I guess it makes sense that a PharmD would be no more beneficial for oto than any other specialty. I guess my question was more along the lines of comparing a PharmD to other graduate degrees. Would it be reasonable to assume that an applicant with a PharmD would have an advantage over someone with a less clinically based degree?