good pathology books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomlogik

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just started reading the book Complications. Can't think of the author at the moment, but it was wrote by a surgical resident. It basically describes his perspective on the surgical field and medicine in general. It definately seems to be a great book and has offered me a lot of insight on the field of surgery. I guess my question is, are there any similar books out there in regards to pathology? It seems like all i have ever found is a paragraph or two description on what a pathologist does here and there. I would love to be able to read a more in depth discussion on the field of pathology and the people's lives that practice it. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

How ironic. I just loaned that book to one of my classmates applying to surgery and she likes it as much as I did when I read it.

I don't know about pathology books (but would love suggestions) but I'm currently reading Stiff: The curious lives of human cadavers. by Mary Roach (currently in paperback). It is an interesting account of cadaver use not only in medical school & forensics, but in safety research, morturary science etc. Its informative and amusing at times. I'm not sure of her background but her style and they way she explains things leads me think she's not a physician.

Give it a try.

M

I really liked Stiff....really interesting and written in a non-textbook manner :)Per google:
Mary Roach is a journalist and former Salon.com columnist and has written for Outside, GQ, Vogue, and The New York Times Magazine. She writes the humor column "My Planet" in Reader's Digest and is a contributing editor for the science magazine Discover.

As for Complications, also a great read. I attended a recent lecture by Atul Gawande, who's a great speaker, and who brought up many key issues on the ethics of erring in medicine, from the perspective of a health care provider, and also contrasting our perception of what is an acceptable error rate here in the US with developing countries.

As for pathology novels/books...a good fiction book (although not recent) is Crichton's "A Case of Need". As for books about life as a pathologist, not so sure..I'm sure somebody else knows something out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
randomlogik said:
So I just started reading the book Complications. Can't think of the author at the moment, but it was wrote by a surgical resident. It basically describes his perspective on the surgical field and medicine in general. It definately seems to be a great book and has offered me a lot of insight on the field of surgery. I guess my question is, are there any similar books out there in regards to pathology? It seems like all i have ever found is a paragraph or two description on what a pathologist does here and there. I would love to be able to read a more in depth discussion on the field of pathology and the people's lives that practice it. Any suggestions?

There is a general pathology textbook called Cells Tissues and Disease by two UMass profs - while it IS a general path text it is extremely well written, conversational, and has loads of information on the history of pathology and microscopy. Fascinating, I think. As it is a textbook it is expensive but I would think libraries would have copies. I think it is beneficial for everyone, particularly those in path, to read as it provides such a great background. The main author was my general pathology instructor in med school - I was in his last year of teaching and it was the best series of lectures I have ever attended. The book mostly does deal with history, not so much modern individuals, however.

I think there is a book called "The final diagnosis" about pathologists. I don't remember the author. You can probably find a description on amazon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to have to check them out. Anyone else have any more? Keep them coming!!

If you're looking for forensic pathology then how about the Pathology of Homicde by Lester Adelson, MD or Medicolegal Investigation of Death by Spitz and Fisher. Guide to Forensic Pathology by Jay Dix, MD and Robert Calaluce, MD. Then there is always Forensic Patholgy by Vincent J. M. Di Maio, Dominick Dimaio. If you're looking for basic path, sorry fresh out of ideas.

yaah said:
There is a general pathology textbook called Cells Tissues and Disease by two UMass profs - while it IS a general path text it is extremely well written, conversational, and has loads of information on the history of pathology and microscopy. Fascinating, I think. As it is a textbook it is expensive but I would think libraries would have copies. I think it is beneficial for everyone, particularly those in path, to read as it provides such a great background. The main author was my general pathology instructor in med school - I was in his last year of teaching and it was the best series of lectures I have ever attended. The book mostly does deal with history, not so much modern individuals, however.

I found this book in our library and it looks excellent. I'm almost thinking of reading it to reacquaint myself with the basics of pathology and pathophysiology. I think there is a new edition out but the price tag is through the roof. The paperback version of the previous edition is around 20 bones on amazon.

They have the new edition here - I would suggest there isn't a whole lot of new stuff - the appeal of the book (to me) is the story-telling nature of it and the abundant historical detail. Like the "tardigrades" (slow walkers) who can survive unnatural conditions, and the stories on Virchow. I am sure they have updated it with info on molecular techniques, etc, but as I said, the basic gyst will come across no matter what. What other pathology book uses pictures of bassett hounds and brine shrimp to illustrate a point?

I was doing a month of surg path and I thought the book by Lester, Surgical pathology (paper back) was very good for grossing/dictation/stains.
Some of the residents were reading daily out of Rosai.
I actually have been just reading Wheater's Histopath and histology atlas. Going to the basics. I thought some of the residents had forgotten their basic histology and pathology. It is good to see what is normal first before calling it abnormal.

Man oh Man do I love this book. I wish I had started reading it before my first year.

It is expensive but if you can get a used copy or check it out at your library.... please do.

I bought it and it is quickly becoming my favorite book.

It's excellent I agree. Covers many of the artifacts and benign things that commonly show up on specimens and can be confusing.