This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to apply to the NAU PT program.
Bio Major at ASU
My GPA is 4.0
GRE 161 V and 163 Q and 3.5 AW

Observation hours for NAU are not required but highly recommended. Because I have spent a lot of time on my coursework and studying for the GRE so far, I don't have any observation hours. The deadline for NAU PT is October 1st, 2017. Is there any recommendation to scoring a strong LOR for a PT in such a short period?

BTW, I haven't started looking at shadowing opportunities until today; I am kinda scared that I can't find anywhere to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Go on craigslist and look up PT tech job in your area. You have about three months so you got to go all in. If you have to work for free do it. I usually recommend people spend a good deal of time with the PT they are shadowing in order to develop a relationship. Nothing hurts your application more than a generic recommendation. Even if NU does not require O.H, it is still expected to do observations in the field. Is this the only school you're applying to? I don't think you get a strong recommendation without shadowing, so luckily for you, you have 3 months to make it happen. Get it done my man!

Reactions: 1 user
What are the recommendation requirements? I would go ahead and get some hours this summer at wherever. But you can certainly get your recommendations from professors or others who know you better. If they don't require one from a PT, don't feel like you have to go that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the recommendation requirements? I would go ahead and get some hours this summer at wherever. But you can certainly get your recommendations from professors or others who know you better. If they don't require one from a PT, don't feel like you have to go that route.
The school recommends 100 PT hours. They need at least 1 PT to write a letter of recommendation for a total of 3 letters. I already have professors lined up to do the 2 LORS, but it's the PT part that is stressing me out.

The school recommends 100 PT hours. They need at least 1 PT to write a letter of recommendation for a total of 3 letters. I already have professors lined up to do the 2 LORS, but it's the PT part that is stressing me out.
Interesting to me observation hours are not required but a PT req is.....hmmmmm.

Anyway, I would look to do the volunteer route versus paid. Just start calling some clinics close to you. Hospitals will be much harder to get into (the paperwork and background checks generally take a while....private practice outpatient ortho clinics will be more flexible to take on volunteers). I would be very upfront about your need for a recommendation from a PT. I only shadowed over 1 summer (June, July and Aug). I had about 100 hours and got a very nice recommendation. I think you will be fine. You need to really give it your all when you are there and take the time to get to know the therapist.

Just curious, how do you get to know the PT well while shadowing? I always felt like I should be staying out of the way, or helping with cleaning, but opportunities to ask questions were pretty brief in a busy clinic.

Just curious, how do you get to know the PT well while shadowing? I always felt like I should be staying out of the way, or helping with cleaning, but opportunities to ask questions were pretty brief in a busy clinic.
After calling numerous places, I have finally found a spot. The answer to your question is to shadow there for a full shift. When you have 8 or more hours to work with in a day, you will definitely get to know the therapists there. Since observation hours are my goal right now, I am doing 8-hour "shifts" 5 days a week like everyone else. This is the only way to make sure they know you.

After calling numerous places, I have finally found a spot. The answer to your question is to shadow there for a full shift. When you have 8 or more hours to work with in a day, you will definitely get to know the therapists there. Since observation hours are my goal right now, I am doing 8-hour "shifts" 5 days a week like everyone else. This is the only way to make sure they know you.
Hmm this sounds like it would be a great way... but I don't know how one could maintain a full time job, full time school, plus this kind of observation commitment. It doesn't seem possible to me.

Hmm this sounds like it would be a great way... but I don't know how one could maintain a full time job, full time school, plus this kind of observation commitment. It doesn't seem possible to me.
In that case, I will aim for clinics that are small as possible. Try to find spots with only 1 PT and 1 tech. Go in as many time as possible. Otherwise, you risk being lost as a 'volunteer' in a large clinic. Since these clinics are undermanned anyways, they will greatly appreciate your help.

I am doing 8-hour "shifts" 5 days a week like everyone else. This is the only way to make sure they know you.
This is definitely not the "only way". Make an impression, show up on time and come in consistently, ask questions when you can etc. There are many ways to make an impression on someone. I volunteered at the same place for over a year, came in once a week for a 4 hour shift and made a very good impression and got great LORs. Just do what works for you and act like you would if it was your job - professional.