Good books for interns on-call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGirlDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, folks...now that the match is over and we can breathe again (at least for 4th year med students), now is right about the time when the panic sets in that we haven't learned enough in medical school to handle a night of call when we get the dreaded page.

Anybody have any good suggestions on small pocketbooks that were HELPFUL during internship for call...common complaints e.g. fever tx, headache, pain, etc.

With my impending limited salary, I just don't want to waste my money on books that won't do me any good. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i cant say what the interns have used, but for my sub i i think having a palm pilot w/ 5 min. clinical consult is nice, as is the wash. manual or the one put out by mass general--- the little black book w/ tiny 3 ring binders. plus i got a pharmacopeia and one of those tiny emergency med books, that have like glasgow scale and little skeletons for admit notes, d/c notes, summaries, etc. all of that together shouldnt even cost 90 bucks except for the palm

I used G5CC, ePocrates & qID on Palm and it worked great.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about those On-call books?

Anyone have experience with Medicine On-Call?

I picked up a copy of Surgery On-Call. It looks pretty good. I hope it turns out to be useful next year.

Originally posted by beezar
What about those On-call books?

Anyone have experience with Medicine On-Call?

I used it during my internship-- and its pretty darn good. I'd recommend it very strongly. Not only does it help you deal with the common on-call problems, it also has a great prcoedures section.

great recommendations above....just wanted to include the all-important Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide (about 25-30 bucks)

Just wondering - did you mean the book surgery on call or on call surgery? Which is better? Thanks.