Good Book About Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. A friend of mine (She is a Pharmacist) was asking me if I happened to know of a good book about the History of Anesthesia/Anesthesiology.

She has always been interested in the field and was looking for some reading that is interesting and fact based.

Anyone know of a good book?

NOT looking for a textbook, but rather a book that highlights the interesting points about the history of the field.

ANY comments are genuinely appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked the book "Ether Day" by Julie Fenster. It is definitely not a complete history of anesthesia, but it gives a good historical sketch of the men surrounding the first public demonstration of ether for surgery. It is very entertaining and easy to read.

Or you can talk to a cardiologist!

On a prelim med interview, I was interviewed by a cardiologist who just started talking about the history of anesthesia... he knew who first started using ether, the doctor who did the first public demonstration of ether, the 1st patient's name and background, even the artist who did that famous picture on the demonstration of ether...

Those cardiologists are too damn smart for their own good!