Good anesthesiology programs to do a 4 week clerkship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRNickiTay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:

I am a third year interested in anethesiology and I am setting up some visiting rotations for this summer and fall. I am looking for help with a few of the following questions:

1) Any suggestions of good programs to do a rotation in anethesiology? If you know if they provided housing and if I would need a car that would be helpful info.

2) What is the best time frame to do these visting rotations. Summer/ faFall or closer to Winter.

3) When did most of your programs interview you early fall or winter?

3) Would anyone suggest a Surgery ICU rotation at a program you were interested in for anesthesiology?

4) How do programs feel about leaving to do other interviews while you are visting their program for four weeks? Would this look bad or do they understand that it is interviewing season?

Any input would be great!! Take care and good luck for those of you who are still interviewing.

Nichole Taylor MS 3
AZCOM

Members don't see this ad.

1) Any suggestions of good programs to do a rotation in anethesiology? If you know if they provided housing and if I would need a car that would be helpful info.

That depends on where you hope to go. I did an away rotation at a hospital in NC, where they treated me very well, I did a number of procedures, I was able to get very reasonably priced housing and did not need a car. Unfortunately, I was bored silly in the area, and ultimately realized that it was not a location I could consider for residency.

2) What is the best time frame to do these visting rotations. Summer/ faFall or closer to Winter.

You should definately do away rotations in August, September, maybe October....

3) When did most of your programs interview you early fall or winter?

The fall. I think by the end of Dec. / Jan. you start to get tired of the whole interviewing scene, and you start to cancel interviews at programs you doubt you'll end up ranking high on your list.

3) Would anyone suggest a Surgery ICU rotation at a program you were interested in for anesthesiology?

Most definately. My best rotation in medical school was SICU.

4) How do programs feel about leaving to do other interviews while you are visting their program for four weeks? Would this look bad or do they understand that it is interviewing season?

I think overall, it looks bad. Hence, it may be to your benefit to go in August or Sept. before you start interviewing.

Thanks for all the information. It is very helpful as I plan my upcoming year. Thanks,

Nichole Taylor MS3
AZCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
About doing interviews while on your away rotation...

I think it really depends upon where you are and who the attendings are. I did an away rotation and actually did 3 interviews at the same time. I also did some research in anesthesia at another school and did 2 interviews during that time.

My away rotation was extremely laid back, and I usually rotated with different attendings randomly, so they didn't care at all (and most of the time, didn't even realize I was away interviewing). The ones I did tell were extremely understanding. In fact, I was able to talk to them about different programs and they gave me very helpful info.

So I think it depends upon the place and the relationship you have with the attendings. I had a very good one, so they were very understanding and actually very helpful.

Beezar

Could you tell me the names of the programs that were very understanding about you going on interviews?

Thanks

Nichole Taylor MS3
AZCOM

for clerkships:

at MGH i would definitely recommend doing a SICU rotation as an elective... for two reasons
1) the SICU is run by the anesthesia department and that way you can get to know everybody
2) a month of SICU is worth a lot more than a month of anesthesia during 4th year - you want to start internship thinking and acting like a star, which is something the SICU can definitely help you with... and you can always meander down to the ORs to hang out and learn stuff on your downtime...

Tenesma

WHat does MGH stand for?

THX,
Niki

Tenesma,

I'm curious; is there a seperate cardiothoracic ICU at MGH? If so, does anesthesia/cardiac anesthesia run this unit?

yes there is a cardiothoracic icu at MGH, and it is run by a cardiac-anesthesiologist who trains the surgical residents who rotate through there.

mgh- mass general hospital