gone like the wind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHCl3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Faha @Goro @gonnif @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12 @chilly_md

Hello, I would really appreciate any feedback on my current school list. Mainly interested in east coast but there are some schools on my list that I fit stats wise that are midwest

Last edited:
You are applying to far too many schools. Rutgers admits few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
New York Medical College
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
NYU Long Island School of Medicine
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
State University of New York Upstate Medical University Alan and Marlene Norton College of Medicine
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Weill Cornell Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Yale School of Medicine
Harvard School of Medicine
Drexel University, College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western School of Medicine
Mayo School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Northwestern School of Medicine
Vanderbilt School of Medicine
Dartmouth School of Medicine
University of Michigan School of Medicine
Brown School of Medicine
Emory School of Medicine
Tufts School of Medicine
University of Miami (Miller) School of Medicine
USF Morsani College of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
You are applying to far too many schools. Rutgers admits few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
New York Medical College
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
NYU Long Island School of Medicine
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
State University of New York Upstate Medical University Alan and Marlene Norton College of Medicine
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Weill Cornell Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Yale School of Medicine
Harvard School of Medicine
Drexel University, College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western School of Medicine
Mayo School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Northwestern School of Medicine
Vanderbilt School of Medicine
Dartmouth School of Medicine
University of Michigan School of Medicine
Brown School of Medicine
Emory School of Medicine
Tufts School of Medicine
University of Miami (Miller) School of Medicine
USF Morsani College of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Thank you for your input. Do you think my school is too top heavy in any way? Looking at MSAR, my MCAT fall below the median for many schools.

Thank you for your input. Do you think my school is too top heavy in any way? Looking at MSAR, my MCAT fall below the median for many schools.
It's less about the 50th %Ile than the 25th for some if the Really Top Schools that I have struck some from your list. Others will resource protect you out as they rightly figure (from historical norms) that you'll go elsewhere.

Delete:
Drexel
Albany
Cornell
The Rutgers
GWU
FAU
JHU
ROSY FRANKLIN
COOPER/ROWAN
YALE
HARVARD
TEMPLE
CREIGHTON
Nova

Add:
U VA
U VM

Reactions: 1 user
It's less about the 50th %Ile than the 25th for some if the Really Top Schools that I have struck some from your list. Others will resource protect you out as they rightly figure (from historical norms) that you'll go elsewhere.

Delete:
Drexel
Albany
Cornell
The Rutgers
GWU
FAU
JHU
ROSY FRANKLIN
COOPER/ROWAN
YALE
HARVARD
TEMPLE
CREIGHTON
Nova

Add:
U VA
U VM
Not OP, just curious for myself, is the rule of thumb that you shouldn’t apply to top schools if you are below 25th percentile?

1. Research experience and productivity: sustained research experiences, medium to high productivity
  2. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: IM (most hours), gastro, rad, endocrin, hem/onc
  3. Non-clinical volunteering: mentorship programs, started own afterschool program, soup kitchen, (> 5000 hours across different experiences)
Please provide more detail and number of hours.

Please provide more detail and number of hours.
I apologize for the lack of details, I did not include much to avoid any identifying details. If it helps, there are a few recurring themes in my app: working with underserved communities and focus on communication. Also research is a big part of my app (5/15 work/activities) but I mentioned medium/high productivity because although there are pubs and posters, they are not "top-tier". I also think my LORs are solid because they are from my closest mentors but of course thats hard to say for sure.

Delete:
Drexel
Albany
Cornell
The Rutgers
GWU
FAU
JHU
ROSY FRANKLIN
COOPER/ROWAN
YALE
HARVARD
TEMPLE
CREIGHTON
Nova

Add:
U VA
U VM
Thanks for the input @Goro. I do have ties to some of these institutions (research related). Would it still be worth applying?

I apologize for the lack of details, I did not include much to avoid any identifying details. If it helps, there are a few recurring themes in my app: working with underserved communities and focus on communication. Also research is a big part of my app (5/15 work/activities) but I mentioned medium/high productivity because although there are pubs and posters, they are not "top-tier". I also think my LORs are solid because they are from my closest mentors but of course thats hard to say for sure.
Documenting your hours and responsibilities will not breach your identity unless you put in that information. We have examples in this WAMC forum as guides.

The number of hours you put down shows true commitment and service orientation. If you want more accurate assessments, you need to put in the details. I don't like making assumptions because I find I overestimate one's true preparation.

Not OP, just curious for myself, is the rule of thumb that you shouldn’t apply to top schools if you are below 25th percentile?
My rule of thumb is that the higher the pole you want to climb, the more slippery it gets.

Also, if you look at emsar and the acceptance results for mcat, you can see that they are extremely tight numbers around these percentiles meaning they are accepting extremely high test scores

@Goro

Not OP but just curious, in your recommendation for deletion of drexel, GWU, Temple, and Rosalind franklin from OP's list, was it mostly because you think an MCAT of 517+ would almost automatically get someone yield protected from these schools, or was it because OP was also very strong in all the other area, or both?
Thanks.
Resource protection

If you have >129 in at least three sections and >125 in all four sections, apply anywhere you want. If you have >130 in less than 3 sections, you might want to keep your reach schools to not more than 25% of your list.

I also concur that you've got to shave off schools from the other end. What schools are you unlikely to choose if you have any choice? Those schools won't interview you because you are too good for them. They don't want to waste interview slots on superstars when they are not likely to land any of them.