Going to interview with UIW soon. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989644

Hello! I was given an opportunity to interview with UIW's Optometry program.

I was curious if anybody has interviewed with them already. If so, what are some nuggets of advice and questions I should expect from the interviewers?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Overall it was very relaxed and conversational with typical interview questions. There was one question that threw me off. It was a hypothetical question where it asked who would I invite to dinner if I could invite anyone in the world, living or dead. Despite that, it was my best interview experience. The faculty members were so welcoming and kind and I enjoyed every moment of it. Good luck!

Overall it was very relaxed and conversational with typical interview questions. There was one question that threw me off. It was a hypothetical question where it asked who would I invite to dinner if I could invite anyone in the world, living or dead. Despite that, it was my best interview experience. The faculty members were so welcoming and kind and I enjoyed every moment of it. Good luck!

Okay! So some questions probably include:

-Why UIW?

-Why optometry?

-Questions about the school?

-What are you looking at in terms of specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
tell me about yourself
why UIW
why optometry
how would your professors describe you
what was the hardest thing for you in undergrad
where do you see yourself in 7-8 years
what did you learn from shadowing
anything you would like to add

i feel like im missing a question but thats what i remember! It was very chill and so just be professional and answer the questions. it is closed file but they do have your personal statement

Reactions: 1 user
tell me about yourself
why UIW
why optometry
how would your professors describe you
what was the hardest thing for you in undergrad
where do you see yourself in 7-8 years
what did you learn from shadowing
anything you would like to add

i feel like im missing a question but thats what i remember! It was very chill and so just be professional and answer the questions. it is closed file but they do have your personal statement

Just finished my interview.

As you said, it was conversational and the interviewer, an optometrist that was affiliated with the school, was very pleasant.

I'm...not too sure how I did though since I rambled toward the end, especially my closing thoughts. I might be a bit paranoid, but I'm also wondering what the interviewer said indicated I bombed my interview: that he / she (to keep it anonymous) hopes that I will be happy with the results, whatever they may be.

Do the interviewers sit on the committee to decide on who gets in post-interview? I'm just a bit paranoid now at this point because my final thoughts were kind of blase.

Just finished my interview.

As you said, it was conversational and the interviewer, an optometrist that was affiliated with the school, was very pleasant.

I'm...not too sure how I did though since I rambled toward the end, especially my closing thoughts. I might be a bit paranoid, but I'm also wondering what the interviewer said indicated I bombed my interview: that he / she (to keep it anonymous) hopes that I will be happy with the results, whatever they may be.

Do the interviewers sit on the committee to decide on who gets in post-interview? I'm just a bit paranoid now at this point because my final thoughts were kind of blase.
I felt like i got flustered near the end of mine as well because it felt kind of long but dont worry!! im sure you did great.

i want to say that they dont sit on the committee post interview because your file was already looked through before getting offered an interview and that the person who interviews you ultimately decides if you would be a great fit for the school or not.

If you havent already i'd suggest preparing a few questions for the group presentation part of the interview! Im not sure if they evaluate you then but just to feel better just be attentive and ask a question or two

I felt like i got flustered near the end of mine as well because it felt kind of long but dont worry!! im sure you did great.

i want to say that they dont sit on the committee post interview because your file was already looked through before getting offered an interview and that the person who interviews you ultimately decides if you would be a great fit for the school or not.

If you havent already i'd suggest preparing a few questions for the group presentation part of the interview! Im not sure if they evaluate you then but just to feel better just be attentive and ask a question or two

I'm definitely going to ask a few questions during the presentation...'cause I have a few :).

I also got an interview invite from Western as well. Quick question: Did you interview with them? If so, any tips?

I'm definitely going to ask a few questions during the presentation...'cause I have a few :).

I also got an interview invite from Western as well. Quick question: Did you interview with them? If so, any tips?
I did not but good luck with it!!

I did not but good luck with it!!

Hello!

Would it be possible for me to message you privately? I had a question specifically about UIW that I kind of want to get on...the down low.

Thanks!

Hello!

Would it be possible for me to message you privately? I had a question specifically about UIW that I kind of want to get on...the down low.

Thanks!
Of course!