Going to India for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureD0CT0R

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in B.Sc General at UofA. I am in first year and don't think that I would stand a chance of getting into med school at uofa. It is extremely competitive. Now, I am thinking about going to India to do medicine then get residency in Canada or US. I know that this is also really difficult but I know a couple of friends that have done it. After reading forums after forums, I think that KIMS is a good option because banglore is a big city and more similar to here in Canada than Punjab. Are there any better options in India?
If anyone went to KIMS, how much are the fees? I looked up Manipal and their fees were $200,000. That is A LOT. I would apply to DMC in Ludhiana but recently Punjab Gov't has a put in regulation that every NRI must also participate in the entrance test. Also, the deadline was Jan 31, 2014. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
I just finished my MBBS from Punjab and im returning to the states soon, TRUST ME! you would be better off doing med school back home. I wish i did, look it may be cheaper here and easy to get in, but it isnt worth it, not one bit. I hated it here, the schooling standards are no where near back home, and once you go from here you have no decent CV so its hard to get into a resident program when you get back. We have no research work here, we write no papers and even if you do manage to get a research in it isnt recognized internationally. So you wont really have much to take back with you apart from your medical degree which wont be enough given the competition these days . My sincere advice to you is do not come here. You will not like it at all i know i didnt . 5.5 years of my life wasted with nothing to bring back, so stay there

Reactions: 1 user
or go to the Caribbean, anywhere but here