Going To Become a Neurosurgeon

Nascent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to become a neurosurgeon. Feel free to ask me for questions/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

justin-bieber-love-me-l-o.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
From 12/13/12:

I'm a soon-to-be pre-med student. Theoretically, what is the best possible resume to ensure my acceptance into medical school: what specific volunteer activities, clubs, and courses? (besides the basic reqs.) I've heard that studying for the MCAT is not useful until junior year; is this true, and should I have less volunteer work/courses during those latter years for more time to practice the MCAT? And, lastly, is a ~4.0 at a lower tier school valued more than a ~3.7 at a higher tier school?

:confused:

Did you go to St. James by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the function of the fusiform gyrus?

That's a good question, neuro nephrons. I believe that there still is some controversy over the functions of the fusiform gyrus, but generally speaking, it controls distinct visuals such as the face or body and word recognition.

Do you have any questions?

I, like many other aspiring neurosurgeons, have a plethora of questions. It's almost a personality that comes with becoming a neurosurgeon: we must be students of life. I feel as I am always constantly questioning the world and it's surroundings, always trying to create the order from the chaos. It is an innate penchant that transcends the branches of science. In fact, without this incessant questioning, I'm afraid we would be otherwise steadfast in complacency and henceforth would lack progress that are so crucial to the developments that have, in recent years, unfolded within neuroscience, itself.

That's a good question, neuro nephrons. I believe that there still is some controversy over the functions of the fusiform gyrus, but generally speaking, it controls distinct visuals such as the face or body and word recognition.

"There is still some argument about the extent of the functioning of the fusiform gyrus, however, there are a few functions that are agreed upon. The fusiform gyrus has a part in processing color information. It plays a role in face and body recognition (with the fusiform face area). "

Source: http://editthis.info/psy3242/Fusiform_gyrus

I, like many other aspiring neurosurgeons, have a plethora of questions. It's almost a personality that comes with becoming a neurosurgeon: we must be students of life. I feel as I am always constantly questioning the world and it's surroundings, always trying to create the order from the chaos. It is an innate penchant that transcends the branches of science. In fact, without this incessant questioning, I'm afraid we would be otherwise steadfast in complacency and henceforth would lack progress that are so crucial to the developments that have, in recent years, unfolded within neuroscience, itself.

Quit it and just ask your questions

i, like many other aspiring neurosurgeons, have a plethora of questions. It's almost a personality that comes with becoming a neurosurgeon: We must be students of life. I feel as i am always constantly questioning the world and it's surroundings, always trying to create the order from the chaos. It is an innate penchant that transcends the branches of science. In fact, without this incessant questioning, i'm afraid we would be otherwise steadfast in complacency and henceforth would lack progress that are so crucial to the developments that have, in recent years, unfolded within neuroscience, itself.

10/10

Troll quota must be incredibly behind this month.

How many lives have you saved today?

It is truly an imperfect science to pinpoint exactly how many lives doctors save each day. Speaking for myself, I can say for certain that I really don't know how many I've saved. Maybe the trash I picked up on my way to the car had saved someone from tripping and falling, causing hemorrhaging of the brain. Maybe the advice I gave over the internet was crucial in a certain case that would have otherwise resulted in a loss of one's life. These, of course, are just guesses in the dark. There may not be a definite answer. But there is something I can tell you: we are all doing our part in this intricate world, and we are all affecting each other, for better or worse.

It is truly an imperfect science to pinpoint exactly how many lives doctors save each day. I can say for certain that I really don't know. Maybe the trash I picked up on my way to the car had saved someone from tripping and falling, causing hemorrhaging of the brain. Maybe the advice I gave over the internet was crucial in a certain case that would have otherwise resulted in a loss of one's life. These, of course, are just guesses in the dark. There may not be a definite answer. But there is something I can tell you: we are all doing our part in this intricate world, and we are all affecting each other, for better or worse.

Nicely done. :laugh:

It is truly an imperfect science to pinpoint exactly how many lives doctors save each day. I can say for certain that I really don't know. Maybe the trash I picked up on my way to the car had saved someone from tripping and falling, causing hemorrhaging of the brain.

I think the more important question is: how many people would have died had you not taken the garbage out?

What would you recommend me doing to bring my vocabulary up to par with yours?

It is truly an imperfect science to pinpoint exactly how many lives doctors save each day. Speaking for myself, I can say for certain that I really don't know how many I've saved. Maybe the trash I picked up on my way to the car had saved someone from tripping and falling, causing hemorrhaging of the brain. Maybe the advice I gave over the internet was crucial in a certain case that would have otherwise resulted in a loss of one's life. These, of course, are just guesses in the dark. There may not be a definite answer. But there is something I can tell you: we are all doing our part in this intricate world, and we are all affecting each other, for better or worse.

when_someone_is_way_off.gif

Quit it and just ask your questions

I'm afraid I'm very busy tonight. I'll have more time to respond to you guys tomorrow. It's been fun. Ciao!

I've decided to become a neurosurgeon. Feel free to ask me for questions/advice.

Since you're still a premed, do you wear scrubs and a surgical cap to your Physics Without Calculus class so everyone there will know you're going to be a neurosurgeon?

But you won't answer my question (which was the first one to be asked). Way to go OP. :(

You nerds have WAY too much time on your hands...

When does school start?! lol! jk

GIFSoup

someone plz tell me how many times this one has been used, i don't wanna overdo it next time.

It's a little (a lot?) sad how many posts I've made in the last couple days, but I'm using my being sick and miserable as an excuse to internetz all day long :D

I saw your rampage in the c/o 2016 thread. :D

On another note, I'm craving crème brûlée something awful now too.

Since you're still a premed, do you wear scrubs and a surgical cap to your Physics Without Calculus class so everyone there will know you're going to be a neurosurgeon?

What we have here is a "soon-to-be-pre-med" as of 12/13/12.

how much do you bench, squat and deadlift? if it isn't 225, 315, 405, then you have no chance of becoming a neurosurgeon

Physics WITHOUT calculus?! That actually exist?!

...my engineering advisor has been lying to me...rat bastard.