Going Crazy!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasim288

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK!!!! I am 29, a graduate of a small four year college in Tacoma Washington with an overall GPA of 3.11. Transferred in with a community college GPA of 3.68 with a ton of math credits to my name, algebra; trig; calculus 1 and 2 etc, and a few science courses. Struggled thru the four year due to financial burdens, filed for bankruptcy in my first year and held down 2 jobs, as well as lost a brother in late 1998 just before graduation. For the last 4 years, I have been working in the research and high-tech fields: 1 year as a research tech from 1999 - 2000 and the last 2 1/2 years as a technology consultant for one of the largest firms in the world.

My BIG question to all of you is what the heck do I have to do to get into DO school? I haven't taken the MCAT, just couldn't find the time due to work, and haven't worked in research or healthcare for some time. Did 3 years as an EMT in California and a summer research stint in the summer of 1995. With my low GPA and dinosaur history of healthcare and research experience, do I have a shot say if I got 9's on the MCAT?

For your information, I grew up in Vallejo California where Tuoro is and wish all that got in good luck. SOME ADVICE....stay away from Country Club Crest over by Marine World and South Vallejo, called Beverley Hills near Magazine street. Very Very bad areas and unless you know someone, be very cautious.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will have a good shot at making an osteo school if you can pull out all 8's. I have a 3.3 gpa undergrad with a 3.29 science gpa. I have a 26 mcat. Not much volunteer work but enough to show i care. I have already gotton 4 interviews at D.O. schools and waitlisted twice. Waiting to hear from the others still. Just take a few months to prepare for the MCAT and kick its ass. Live it, Breath it, and Eat it. Good Luck you can do it !!!!

Nasim288

i certainly can't speculate about your chances, but i can tell you alittle about my situation. i graduated from loyola marymount in los angeles('99) with a gpa far lower than yours. i did a post bach at san diego state and pulled a 3.7. i was an emt in LA for 4 years. my mcat was 12v, 9b, 9p. lots of people told me my earlier academic history would prevent me from getting in anywhere and i was recently accepted to western/comp class of 2007.

i was pleasantly surprised to find that some adcoms really weigh your most recent academic history and take into account personal and intelletual evolution. your strong clinical experience is a definite plus. i think 9's on the mcat would make you a competitive applicant. do you have a pre med advisor? any osteopathic experience? my pre med advisor at sdsu was a god send (especially because the one at LMU blew). good LOR's are important as well.

kick ass on the mcat (it took me 3 times to get the last set of scores), detail your clinical experiences in you personal statement, and try to begin a rapport with the admissions people at schools you are interested in.

sorry to ramble on, but the point is if i can get in you can too. stick with it and good luck.

jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Do decently on the MCAT (as already said...and I'd shoot for 9s) & I think you stand a better than decent chance. Your past experiences are great. If you can, spend some time shadowing some DOs (some schools require a letter of recommendation from a DO, some don't but it always looks good). Apply early & get your secondaries in early as well.

Good luck!

Nasim288,

lapiz007 and DrMom speak from successful experience so I would definitely follow their advice.. your GPA is not that low, so all that is left is to knock out the mcat..

If you know that you want to go to a specific school, you may want to research if there is an early decision program that you could apply to (I wish I had done so...)

good luck in all your endeavors!!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]