Goals/Tasks to accomplish during PGY1 to prepare for Critical Care PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgentAlaska

Reaction score
I will be starting my PGY1 at the end of this month and am actively looking for ideas to best tailor my PGY1 experience to help make me the best critical care PGY2 candidate I can be. My site does not have any PGY2 positions. I saw a past thread that was not very helpful so I thought I would pose this question again. So far I have become a member of SCCM, will be working to get my research project in a critical care topic, will pick critical care topics for my grand rounds presentations, I am thinking of potential review article topics I could pitch to a preceptor to draft and publish, I will be completing a teaching certificate, and will be picking elective rotations that I feel tie into critical care.

Please provide further suggestions.

Further questions:

Do PGY2 programs evaluate candidates much differently than PGY1 programs?

My program is a smaller community hospital but has affiliations with an academic medical center at which I will have some rotations. Does the size/scope of an applicant's PGY1 program play into status as a PGY2?

Outside of completing a teaching certificate/precepting students what are some other ways or opportunities to get academic involvement?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally you should have completed an ICU rotation before midyear- so you're absolutely sure you want to dedicate another year of training to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ideally you should have completed an ICU rotation before midyear- so you're absolutely sure you want to dedicate another year of training to it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have discussed having my ICU rotation and other more intensive rotations prior to midyear. Additionally I did both MICU and Neuro ICU rotations during my P4 year so I am not unaccustomed to life in the ICU.

Members don't see this ad :)

And will have at least one critical care letter of recommendation when applying for those PGY2 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
And will have at least one critical care letter of recommendation when applying for those PGY2 spots.
Thanks for the suggestion, something I will be sure to do. I think more of what I’m looking for is if there are any current or past critical care PGY2 residents that can give specific examples of roles or projects they undertook during the year that benefited and propelled them into their PGY2.