Army GMO/Fellowship time on station question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year or the year before GME came down with a new directive regarding time on station requirements for GMO's or Fellowship applications if you are on the operation side of medicine. I think I read somewhere you had to remain at that duty location for 24 months prior to PCSing for continuing medical education. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find this reg. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this is a codified "regulation" so to speak as much as a policy change by the JSGMESB. There is a MILPER message (https://www.hrc.army.mil/milper/14-030) that refers you on to the MODS site for further clarification. Ultimately the JSGMESB makes the decision, and they have decided that a time on station criteria should be a discriminator. This is from the MODS site (bold/italics mine):

TIME ON STATION (TOS) UTILIZATION REQUIREMENT:
Due to the present fiscal climate and Army operational needs, there are several anticipated changes to the TOS/utilization requirements; although these new policies are under review, they may result in modifications which may affect applicants to the upcoming JSGMESB. However, all individuals interested in further GME are encouraged to apply. Fulfilling the requirements for physician training for the Army MC will remain a priority.
  1. There are no restrictions on eligibility for current FYGME trainees in applying for further GME.
  2. Individuals who are current GMOs or in a staff utilization tour may be considered for selection if they have less than 24 months TOS.
  3. Fellowship applicants should note the potential for a requirement for a utilization tour prior to beginning training. Equally qualified candidates who have completed such a tour may be prioritized for selection.
  4. Officers who are enrolled in, selected for, or graduated from Intermediate Level Education (10-month resident program at Fort Leavenworth only) or a Senior Service College are not eligible to apply for GME selection until they have completed the utilization tour described in AR 351-3, paragraph 6-2b. Determination of this utilization tour will be made by Medical Corps Branch, AHRC.
Basically, this is not a cut/dried "you shall not pass" policy. if you are interested, don't let this stop you. because the fact of the matter is if there is a position they need to fill, and the only applicant has only a year on station, or if there are a couple of applicants for a position and one only has a year but the other is a PT failure and didn't pass boards, then this policy is just a guide. A lot of "may" statements in there that allow them to still kinda do what they want. This is how things have worked in the peds world for years.

--your friendly neighborhood Gandalf quoting caveman

So what I'm really getting at is if I don't match this year and the army PCS's me to a new duty station I'll have to restart the whole 24 month TOS unless they decide to waive that for other considerations. But what if I was PCS's as a GMO to a location that had a residency position and I applied to start residency after only 12 months on station. Since I'm not PCS'ing then that shouldn't really matter...

Ultimately I'm 1 year out from internship, I've got 12 months as a GMO in an Division HHBN unit where it's traditionally slotted for a Maj but I'm still only a CPT. Total empanelment is about 1300 (largest on installation). I'm just really hoping to match this upcoming cycle to EM but my board scores weren't stellar. So, I'm looking forward to what may happen if I don't match this year and have to reapply next year