Glycogen soluble in water?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rippinitez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that starch and cellulose are insoluble in water, but I'm not sure about glycogen. I know that glycogen is highly branched, unlike starch. ?So maybe there are more interactions between the OH groups and water? Anybody have an idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that starch and cellulose are insoluble in water, but I'm not sure about glycogen. I know that glycogen is highly branched, unlike starch. ?So maybe there are more interactions between the OH groups and water? Anybody have an idea?

you are absolutely correct, the reason why glycogen IS soluble in water is because of those branches. Now pay attention to those little side branches, they are all -OH's, basically little attachment points for water to hold on to.... Here is a picture of the little -OH "hooks"

eipfro.jpg

Thanks my dude. Btw, I recently switched to your 8week program for my retake of the DAT. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:
All sugars are very soluble in water because of their many hydroxyl groups. Although not as concentrated a fuel as fats, sugars are the most important source of energy for many cells.

All sugars are very soluble in water because of their many hydroxyl groups. Although not as concentrated a fuel as fats, sugars are the most important source of energy for many cells.

Not entirely true...

For example, in plants starch is not water soluble and is the main form of storage in the cells. If the plant wants to transport the starch somewhere else, it cannot because it is not water soluble. It must convert the starch to sucrose because sucrose is water soluble.

There's always an exception somewhere in biology.