Glumetza fortamet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are there generics so expensive..i mean they are linked to same generics mftr I just don't understand why it's so expensive!! I know glumetza has different release of mechanism. But it doesn't mean it's generic is so freaking expensive!

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What are there generics so expensive..i mean they are linked to same generics mftr I just don't understand why it's so expensive!! I know glumetza has different release of mechanism. But it doesn't mean it's generic is so freaking expensive!

Thoughts?

Probably because brand glumetza is approx 130-150/tablet for metformin cash price...what a stupid drug at an even more stupid price.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, let's blame it first on the real culprit: The FDA.

They were the fu*king idiots who first approved Glumetza and Fortamet to being with. Were those 2 drugs even necessary? No.

Apparently all you have to show in the US is that your drug is safe and effective. It can be the same exact copy cat of a drug with a minor change (released over 18 hours instead of 24 hours) and FDA has it's hands tied behind it's back approves it.

Do we have to go through all the bullsh** drugs they approved over the years to finally realize why these generics are so expensive? There are only a few manufacturers of generic Fortamet and Glumetza and for them to make money they have to charge high prices. There are, however, a ton of manufacturers for generic Glucophage XR and it's been out so long that demand and competition allows for low prices.

The real question is why any insurance company would ever pay for Fortamet or Glumetza or their generics. Kickbacks?