Glasses benefits as optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 4th year student.. I recently broke the glasses I got from school at a discounted rate. Just wondering if it's better to just replace them while I'm still in school? I've heard of optometrists getting free pairs of glasses/sunglasses but wasn't sure if it's because they are run the business so companies they are contracted with extend the offer or it would also be available if you are an employee as well (which I highly doubt)-- but am just curious all the same.

Thanks!

-(broke student) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a 4th year student.. I recently broke the glasses I got from school at a discounted rate. Just wondering if it's better to just replace them while I'm still in school? I've heard of optometrists getting free pairs of glasses/sunglasses but wasn't sure if it's because they are run the business so companies they are contracted with extend the offer or it would also be available if you are an employee as well (which I highly doubt)-- but am just curious all the same.

Thanks!

How complex is your prescription? If not very, consider a cheap pair of eyeglasses bought over the Internet.

Thanks!

Why don't you ask the optical at your school or one of the professors who has a side practice? When I was in school we were allowed 1 free pair of glasses per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think so,consider a cheap pair of eyeglasses bought over the Internet. thanks
ynQ4mJ

Not sure what your school offers but my optometrist gets all her glasses and her family's for free. But she has been with the lab for over 20 years. Also if you work at a practice that has their own lab it might be cheaper. Do you have vision insurance?

I do have vision insurance, but I actually wanted to replace my frame since I had just gotten free transition lenses and really loved my Tiffany frames!

Thankfully, when I went back to my school clinic I spoke to a more senior employee who said there would be no charge to have them replaced which was a different story than when I had checked in earlier.

Whew! Just got my new glasses :) Was about to shell out another $135 for them :p

Thanks guys for your responses :)