Glad I Found This Place!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was feeling SOOO lost! I would be a VERY non-traditional medical student. I will not even be qualified to apply until I am 31. Married. 7 month old. I thought about medical school years ago, but decided to be a paramedic. I have been a paramedic for almost 8 years(in a VERY busy area). I love being a paramedic but feel like I NEED to take the next step. Being a doc has always crossed my mind. I need to give it a shot. Now, I wish I would have started sooner. I have several college credits because I have always CRAVED school.
I am going to start at a private college this semester. I hope to fill in my credit gaps needed to apply to KCUMB. My family is very happy. I have several Docs in my family. They have been telling me to do this for years. My mother-in-law is pissed. ANYWAYZ, nice to meet u.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome aboard :) !! These forums are a tremendous inspiration for me as well. Love your avatar.

Welcome aboard :) !! These forums are a tremendous inspiration for me as well. Love your avatar.

Thanx for the warm welcome:)
Are u still, "somewhere in california"? My uncle is a dr. in cali. He sometimes teaches classes at Loma Linda.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
This place is a great source for information for every step of the medical process. It also inspired me to apply to medical school. I remember working in my cubicle and wondering if I should have applied to med school and coming upon SDN in one of my random surfing. Hearing all the chatter about medical school inspired me to finally go for it myself. The wealth of information found also made the process easier.

Anyways, I highly recommend doing some lurking on the many forums to see what is available. They are constantly tweaking it and adding new features.

Welcome aboard. From one former paramedic to hopefully another! 31 isn't that old. I went back for my undergrad when I was 35. Now I'm about to be an MSIII.

You'll find lots of company here. :)

Welcome aboard. You are not that old, and you won't be the only student with a child either. Quite a few medics/former medics around here...lots of good advice to be had. Good luck, and hang in there.

She's mad about the time it will take away from my child. I think it will be best for him in the long run. She is the only person in my family that does not agree.

I was feeling SOOO lost! I would be a VERY non-traditional medical student. I will not even be qualified to apply until I am 31. Married. 7 month old. I thought about medical school years ago, but decided to be a paramedic. I have been a paramedic for almost 8 years(in a VERY busy area). I love being a paramedic but feel like I NEED to take the next step. Being a doc has always crossed my mind. I need to give it a shot. Now, I wish I would have started sooner. I have several college credits because I have always CRAVED school.
I am going to start at a private college this semester. I hope to fill in my credit gaps needed to apply to KCUMB. My family is very happy. I have several Docs in my family. They have been telling me to do this for years. My mother-in-law is pissed. ANYWAYZ, nice to meet u.:)

Welcome, I'm newer to the boards too. I'm 31 as well, with a 3 month old. I'm starting back to school this fall to do some GPA repair and get my pre-reqs in.

Everyone has been really helpful...

Take care,
Anne

She's mad about the time it will take away from my child. I think it will be best for him in the long run. She is the only person in my family that does not agree.

Just tell her that now she will have more opportunity than ever to interject and support your child as a loving grandmother. I'm sure she'll understand :D

Just tell her that now she will have more opportunity than ever to interject and support your child as a loving grandmother. I'm sure she'll understand :D

I will give it a try. She can't really say anything bad to that;)

Welcome aboard. From one former paramedic to hopefully another! 31 isn't that old. I went back for my undergrad when I was 35. Now I'm about to be an MSIII.

You'll find lots of company here. :)

I have been noticing TONS of paramedics!!!! This place seems full of them. YAY:cool:

Good Luck on your quest! I am older than you and will be starting in the KCUMB class of 2012 in Aug!! You can do it--be determined and NEVER give up!! There are times it will be hard, but so worth it! Please come to one of the open houses at KCUMB next year!:luck:

Welcome!

I plan to to back for prereqs+ when I'm 42. :D

This is a great place. I'm sure you'll love it here.

Star

31 is nothing.

I'm in my 40's.

Unfortunate. On the positive side, at least she's mad for a caring reason - and not because you won't be buying her daughter any fancy stuff for a while...

If I were you, I'd keep trying to convince her of how much better a father you'll be as a stressed and overworked - but happy - med student/doc than you were as an unsatisfied paramedic. Hopefully she'll come around at some point. But as long as your wife is on board, everyone else is just gravy.

I'm a 35yo father of two, myself. We may be "VERY non-traditional" as you say, but as you'll see in this forum we're definitely in good company. (Look at these last two geezers, bragging about how old they are!)

Welcome! My mother-in-law was less than supportive when I told her I was going back to school. She wanted me to stay at home I guess and take tennis lessons and learn to drink in the afternoons. Wait, nevermind - that's what she did! She'll come around eventually, or maybe she won't - either way, congratulations on deciding to fullfill your dreams! Best of luck to you.