Giving up a more competitive specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lp92

Reaction score
For those with "good stats" who were deciding between a more competitive specialty and a less "prestigious" specialty and chose the less prestigious one, do you ever regret your decision? how did you put ego aside? and what factors went into choosing the specialty you are currently practicing?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those with "good stats" who were deciding between a more competitive specialty and a less "prestigious" specialty and chose the less prestigious one, do you ever regret your decision? how did you put ego aside? and what factors went into choosing the specialty you are currently practicing?

Prestige doesn't pay the bills or get you out of the bed in the morning. Unfortunately that's much easier to see in retrospect.

I didn't have to make this decision personally, but I was fortunate in that I was happy with the less prestigious specialities from the outset. However I did have a number of friends choose "less prestigious" fellowships and they are all, without exception, happy with their choices. But in talking with them, the choice is much more obvious in retrospect.

All I can tell you is that once you get into practice, no one is waving palm leaves and being carried on a litter just because they are in a "prestigious" specialty. The physicians whom are respected are those that excel in their role, regardless of specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users