GI Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on doing a fellowship in GI? It seems like a pretty interesting area to me. Would having this fellowship be marketable in the private sector, or is it kinda like doing a surg path fellowship? Also, could someone with this training do mostly GI path, like the hemepaths and cytos can do, or would you just function as general surgical pathologist? One of my attendings told me to do only heme, cyto, or derm, if I decided to go for private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

trent05 said:
Any thoughts on doing a fellowship in GI? It seems like a pretty interesting area to me. Would having this fellowship be marketable in the private sector, or is it kinda like doing a surg path fellowship? Also, could someone with this training do mostly GI path, like the hemepaths and cytos can do, or would you just funtion as general surgical pathologist? One of my attendings told me to do only heme, cyto, or derm, if I decided to go for private practice.

Completely depends on where you train in GI path at, IMO Cleve Clinic with J Goldblum is the best. Some famous dude used to be at BID (Appleman?). Of course, Haggitt was likely the best but he got whacked by a crazed resident. Luciw at UCLA also was one of the best, but he has dementia now. Im sure there more than I dont know. A run of the mill crap GI program is likely not worth it because you dont get a certificate like Heme/derm/cyto and some groups require their partners to hold AP+CP+1 other subspeciality certificate.

PS-Yes there are some (not lots) of GI biopsy only positions, typically in very big urban centers like NYC, WashingtonDC, Boston, LA etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
Appelman is at UMich now. Greenson is da bomb too here.

Every time a good Harvhaad faculty member leaves, a kitten, somewhere, is killed or at least thats what they told me.

LADoc00 said:
Every time a good Harvhaad faculty member leaves, a kitten, somewhere, is killed or at least thats what they told me.

Everytime you masturbate, a kitten dies. (not to mention those hairy palms)

CameronFrye said:
Everytime you masturbate, a kitten dies. (not to mention those hairy palms)
I believe the line is, "Everytime you masturbate, God kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens."

AndyMilonakis said:
I believe the line is, "Everytime you masturbate, God kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens."

Yeah, I suck at quotes. The last time I tried to quote Super Troopers on SDN, I think people thought I was a homicidal nut (but now we know it's actually LADOC).

CameronFrye said:
Yeah, I suck at quotes. The last time I tried to quote Super Troopers on SDN, I think people thought I was a homicidal nut (but now we know it's actually LADOC).

Dont reveal my secret identity! WTF. Have some respect. Im a diplomate of the ABP and that counts for...for..........sumthin I think. :laugh:

trent05 said:
Any thoughts on doing a fellowship in GI? It seems like a pretty interesting area to me. Would having this fellowship be marketable in the private sector, or is it kinda like doing a surg path fellowship? Also, could someone with this training do mostly GI path, like the hemepaths and cytos can do, or would you just function as general surgical pathologist? One of my attendings told me to do only heme, cyto, or derm, if I decided to go for private practice.

Mt. Sinai pretty much is "THE" IBD center in the country, with a very prestigious fellowship. Noam Harpaz is a pretty big name in GI path and gets his fellows pretty good jobs afterwards.

I don't think Appelman has ever been anywhere other than UMich. Perhaps you are thinking of Antonioli or Goldman (I think it's Goldman) at BIDMC.

yaah said:
I don't think Appelman has ever been anywhere other than UMich. Perhaps you are thinking of Antonioli or Goldman (I think it's Goldman) at BIDMC.
I didn't think so either. The guy's been quite a fixture in the land of the Wolverines!

I'm gonna miss Michigan football.

Go Blue!

AndyMilonakis said:
I'm gonna miss Michigan football.

Go Blue!
He he he he he... I made a funny mistake at Hopkins during my interview. One of the residents I was with was a Michigan alum. Of course, we spanked Michigan this year. So I said "That's ok - at least you made it to the Rose Bowl." She was not amused. :D

geddy said:
He he he he he... I made a funny mistake at Hopkins during my interview. One of the residents I was with was a Michigan alum. Of course, we spanked Michigan this year. So I said "That's ok - at least you made it to the Rose Bowl." She was not amused. :D
You know, I didn't realize this until just now! One of my co-residents is a Buckeye fan! But because you can easily kick my ass, I will tone down the Wolverine rhetoric.

*whispers* go blue.