GI fellowship app timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathologic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can i wait until early in my third year to apply for GI path fellowships or is that too late? I won't be able to do an elective in GI until then.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you AP/CP? Generally, the application process for most fellowships starts about 2 years prior to fellowship start date. But interviews sometimes don't happen until about 18 months prior, depending on the program. Basically, the entire process blows and is wildly inconsistent (with regards to timeline and expectations) from program to program, and even within a program from year to year. The best advice is to contact the program and ask them their specific instructions (don't rely solely on their website).

But I would think that most programs would not have decided on their fellow more than 2 years prior to the start date.

yes I'm a PGY2 ap/cp res. I was hoping to get some research under my belt this year and want to do a GI rotation before applying. Unfortunately I won't be able to do the elective until next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a PGY4 and will start a GI fellowship next July. I sent out applications in September of my 3rd year, got interview offers in November - January, and interviewed in December and January. I got a fellowship offer in January and cancelled my interviews that were supposed to be in March.

I agree that the whole process is chaos and you're just stuck in the middle trying to make sense of it all. I'm thrilled with the fellowship I got but it would have been nice to see all of the programs that offered me interviews before I had to make a choice.

Also, I agree with yaah that you can't rely solely on the information on the program websites. I emailed all of the programs to see when and if they were accepting applications. It saved me alot of time to find out which programs had filled there positions internally and weren't even interviewing outside applicants.

Last edited:
is there a list of non-accredited fellowship programs like GI, breast, GU, etc?