GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSPK10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a physician active duty in the Navy (HPSP scholarship) and
will be starting a civilian residency deferment. I will have 2 years of
active duty completed. I have heard that you can receive the GI bill
($12,000/year or so for 3 years) for civilian residency on top of your
civilian residency pay. I have not been able to find out any info about
this, including from the VA/GI bill office. Does anyone know any info about
this and if HPSP physicians are eligible? Does anyone know anyone that has
actually got the funding and how they did it? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

MSPK10 said:
I am currently a physician active duty in the Navy (HPSP scholarship) and
will be starting a civilian residency deferment. I will have 2 years of
active duty completed. I have heard that you can receive the GI bill
($12,000/year or so for 3 years) for civilian residency on top of your
civilian residency pay. I have not been able to find out any info about
this, including from the VA/GI bill office. Does anyone know any info about
this and if HPSP physicians are eligible? Does anyone know anyone that has
actually got the funding and how they did it? Thank you.

Not sure about the situation with you deing on FD rather that RAD and applying. Might be some differences there. I go on terminal in a few months then will be going to a Civ residency. I have already applied and recieved approval for my GI Bill + Kicker as a Full time student. All you have to do is fill out the online application at the VA web site, submit it electronically as well as Print it and have your ESO sign it and mail it back to the VA at there regional office. Then you will recieve approval or disapproval and you will be told to have the residency program or the Med College registrar fill out some paperwork confirming your start date which is when you will begin recieving allotments.

usnavdoc said:
Not sure about the situation with you deing on FD rather that RAD and applying. Might be some differences there. I go on terminal in a few months then will be going to a Civ residency. I have already applied and recieved approval for my GI Bill + Kicker as a Full time student. All you have to do is fill out the online application at the VA web site, submit it electronically as well as Print it and have your ESO sign it and mail it back to the VA at there regional office. Then you will recieve approval or disapproval and you will be told to have the residency program or the Med College registrar fill out some paperwork confirming your start date which is when you will begin recieving allotments.

USNAVDOC-

I am in the exact same situation as you. I have touched base with my residency coordinator and we are starting the process of having the program "approved" by the VA. Have you talked to any residents receiving the GI Bill currently? I want to make sure we will get the full monthly benefit and not the "On the Job Training" amount.

Where are you headed? Where are you now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I am on the RADS program. My residency will not be funded by the
Navy. Is the kicker just when you give the extra $600 and then get a $150
per month extra? Any advice when filling out the application that they look
for in particular? Or will it not be a problem getting approved? Thank you
for the reply.

You may not qualify for the GI bill because you've only served for 2 years. If you can qualify, you certainly may draw the benefits during residency. I was in a similar situation...did 2 years as s flight surgeon on AD and then left for civilian residency....tried to apply for the GI Bill...the residency got approval to be a participating school...then I got notice that I was ineligible for the benefit since I only did 2 years on Active Duty. Bottom line, check the GI Bill website. It has the info regarding what it takes for you to qualify based on your uninterrupted time on active duty. Good luck.

FliteSurgn said:
You may not qualify for the GI bill because you've only served for 2 years. If you can qualify, you certainly may draw the benefits during residency. I was in a similar situation...did 2 years as s flight surgeon on AD and then left for civilian residency....tried to apply for the GI Bill...the residency got approval to be a participating school...then I got notice that I was ineligible for the benefit since I only did 2 years on Active Duty. Bottom line, check the GI Bill website. It has the info regarding what it takes for you to qualify based on your uninterrupted time on active duty. Good luck.

Now that you're out, can you use your GI bill to pay tuition fees at conferences and workshops (laparoscopic trainers, etc?)

bobbyseal said:
Now that you're out, can you use your GI bill to pay tuition fees at conferences and workshops (laparoscopic trainers, etc?)
When I got out, residencies were considered qualified academic training and were eligible for GI Bill stipends. At that time, the supplement was a little over $400/ month for up to 3 years. I was able to collect this even though I was also on ready reserve.

You have to sign up for the GI Bill first. If you have already, then there should be information your separation packet--what you are supposed to get along with other information, copies of DD214, etc. when you check out of active duty. See your admin. department about this: it is one of your VA benefits and is administered by the VA. You need a copy of your DD214 to prove your eligibility (BTW, it seems you need a DD214 for everything, licenses, hospital privileges, so get as many "official copies as you can) You may have to verify with them in writing that you are still enrolled in your program from time to time. As I remember, I got a little chit in the mail I had to sign and send back. Hopefully that is now possible via email.

mildoc said:
USNAVDOC-

I am in the exact same situation as you. I have touched base with my residency coordinator and we are starting the process of having the program "approved" by the VA. Have you talked to any residents receiving the GI Bill currently? I want to make sure we will get the full monthly benefit and not the "On the Job Training" amount.

Where are you headed? Where are you now?

On the application online it asked if I was a full time student. Thats how I got approval for full time. Currently the GI Bill is 1053/mo and the kicker is another 200 or so per month(I believe but not absolutely sure about the kicker).

usnavdoc said:
On the application online it asked if I was a full time student. Thats how I got approval for full time. Currently the GI Bill is 1053/mo and the kicker is another 200 or so per month(I believe but not absolutely sure about the kicker).
MSPK10- Have you checked out www.gibill.va.gov? There is a lot of good info there, as per standard DOD and VA directive it is not always easy to find, but you should check it out. Specifically there is a section under the "Payment Rates" that gives amounts for "less than 2 years enlistment".

Since there isn't much info specifically for MDs and residency (let's face it, we're not who the GI Bill was designed for and we are a speck on the demographics of the overall military) I doubt if there will be much in the way of well defined guidelines for your VA benefits advisor to go by. My advice is to ask very nicely, but also in a way that says you expect these benefits to be paid. If that doesn't work, be persistent. I know the VA routinely denies initial claims without even looking at them (much like HMOs) figuring if the person is really entitled they won't give up easily. I know that sounds like an audacious claim (note to self: Don't bite the hand that feeds you...) but one of my patients was a "Claims advisor".

Good luck and be persistent!

Orbitsurg-

Was $400 the "FULL" amount at the time?