GI Bill for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickendoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the inside scoop on using the GI bill to help assist with the salary transition from Mil MD to civilian intern? I heard you can use it during your residency.....

Members don't see this ad.

chickendoc said:
Anyone have the inside scoop on using the GI bill to help assist with the salary transition from Mil MD to civilian intern? I heard you can use it during your residency.....

There are a few threads about this already, but basically yes you can use the GI Bill as a full time student while in residency. You will get an additional 1034(+150 if you use the kicker)/month for 36 months non-taxed income.

You need to go to the VA website www.gibill.va.gov and fill out the Electronic Application Form and submit it. Then if you are still AD then you need to print it and take it to your ESO to sign and mail it back to your regional VA office per the website.

They will then mail you back an approval form and follow in information. You will have to get your residency program to fill out the enrollment certification form(VA form 22-1999) and submit that back to the regional office. This must be done once a year.

When you are filling out the EAF under the heading which program you are applying for: Enter the GME office address and for course of study list what residency you are accepted for. You need to send the EAF in about 6 months before your projected start date. Then do the enrollment certification about two months prior.

To all this is roughly 43200 non taxed income over 36 months for 1800 dollars. The best return you will ever get for your money.

For Navy folks:

If anyone did not sign up for the GI Bill you need to submit a change to the board of correction of naval records(BCNR). via form DD form 149

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/RecordsManagement/Corrections/BCNR.htm

On it state that you were improperly counseled regarding your eligibility for the GI Bill.

Non-Navy Im sure your respective service has some similiar authority.

usnavdoc said:
There are a few threads about this already, but basically yes you can use the GI Bill as a full time student while in residency. You will get an additional 1034(+150 if you use the kicker)/month for 36 months non-taxed income.

You need to go to the VA website www.gibill.va.gov and fill out the Electronic Application Form and submit it. Then if you are still AD then you need to print it and take it to your ESO to sign and mail it back to your regional VA office per the website.

They will then mail you back an approval form and follow in information. You will have to get your residency program to fill out the enrollment certification form(VA form 22-1999) and submit that back to the regional office. This must be done once a year.

When you are filling out the EAF under the heading which program you are applying for: Enter the GME office address and for course of study list what residency you are accepted for. You need to send the EAF in about 6 months before your projected start date. Then do the enrollment certification about two months prior.

To all this is roughly 43200 non taxed income over 36 months for 1800 dollars. The best return you will ever get for your money.

For Navy folks:

If anyone did not sign up for the GI Bill you need to submit a change to the board of correction of naval records(BCNR). via form DD form 149

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/RecordsManagement/Corrections/BCNR.htm

On it state that you were improperly counseled regarding your eligibility for the GI Bill.

Non-Navy Im sure your respective service has some similiar authority.

Thanks for the info! Sorry for not looking further into the threads....

Members don't see this ad :)
usnavdoc, does the BCNR reinstate your GI bill? Do they just bill you or what?

IgD said:
usnavdoc, does the BCNR reinstate your GI bill? Do they just bill you or what?

No, The BCNR would just review your case and decide if the Navy should amend your data sheet where you elected to take or not-take the GI Bill.

If they approve the ammendmant then you would take your approval to PSD and begin deductions(installments or lump sum)

If they disapprove then I dont know if there is an appeal. The information I recieved from them was incomplete to say the least. I imagine you would have to decide if it was worth getting a lawyer to help you fix the issue.

The funny thing is that its just like most things when new Physicians come into the Navy. We are looked at as 03s but we have less navy knowledge than someone who went through bootcamp. Then that first day if you are counseled by someone that doestn know what they are talking about then you miss out on programs like this. And the Navy will likely look at it as well youre an officer you should know these things.

Please pardon the idiot O-3 here who needs things spelled out.

I went to OIS what seems like an eternity ago. They told us that since our education was paid for by the Navy, we weren't eligible for the GI bill. Some of us thought it would be cool to pay $100 a month for a year and then collect GI bill benefits for 3 years while on a HPSP/USUHS scholarship. Double dipping the government coffers. Sweet. But they said no, you can't do that.

Then I went to USUHS. Graduated. Internship @ Bethesda. 3 year GMO tour with the Marines. I'm going to Portsmouth for anesthesia this July.

Are you suggesting I can fill out this form, pay a lump sum of $1800 to get my GI bill payments caught up ... and then collect full GI bill benefits while getting paid $80-90K+/year as a military resident?

That just doesn't seem right. If it is possible, it seems like an unintended manipulation of a loophole in the rules (which is OK with me). Does the system really work that way? I have never run into a military resident who said he was collecting GI bill cash ... the whole thing just doesn't seem plausible.

usnavdoc said:
you will have to get your residency program to fill out the enrollment certification form(VA form 22-1999)
I take it this isn't, er, fraud?

Thanks for the info.

pgg said:
Please pardon the idiot O-3 here who needs things spelled out.

I went to OIS what seems like an eternity ago. They told us that since our education was paid for by the Navy, we weren't eligible for the GI bill. Some of us thought it would be cool to pay $100 a month for a year and then collect GI bill benefits for 3 years while on a HPSP/USUHS scholarship. Double dipping the government coffers. Sweet. But they said no, you can't do that.

Then I went to USUHS. Graduated. Internship @ Bethesda. 3 year GMO tour with the Marines. I'm going to Portsmouth for anesthesia this July.

Are you suggesting I can fill out this form, pay a lump sum of $1800 to get my GI bill payments caught up ... and then collect full GI bill benefits while getting paid $80-90K+/year as a military resident?

That just doesn't seem right. If it is possible, it seems like an unintended manipulation of a loophole in the rules (which is OK with me). Does the system really work that way? I have never run into a military resident who said he was collecting GI bill cash ... the whole thing just doesn't seem plausible.

I take it this isn't, er, fraud?

Thanks for the info.

No its not Fraud.....

I am talking about using it as a civilian. Not a Military Resident. I will be a civilian resident as I have completed my ADSO. This was stated in the OPs original question.

And you are ineligible b/c you went to a service academy.

All members who went to USUHS, USNA, USMA, or USAFA are ineliglible.

If you have doubts about the use of the GI BIll and its intent then Call BUPERS and discuss it at length with them. As I did.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/Education/GIBill/

or the VA who I have also discussed this at length with.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

If you take the GI bill, does that obligate you to further military commitment?

I am assuming you are talking about taking the GI Bill after you have completed the active duty service commitment?

What's The Catch? (Free Money :) )

usnavdoc said:
No its not Fraud.....

I am talking about using it as a civilian. Not a Military Resident. I will be a civilian resident as I have completed my ADSO. This was stated in the OPs original question.

And you are ineligible b/c you went to a service academy.

All members who went to USUHS, USNA, USMA, or USAFA are ineliglible.

If you have doubts about the use of the GI BIll and its intent then Call BUPERS and discuss it at length with them. As I did.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/Education/GIBill/

or the VA who I have also discussed this at length with.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

sethco said:
If you take the GI bill, does that obligate you to further military commitment?

I am assuming you are talking about taking the GI Bill after you have completed the active duty service commitment?

What's The Catch? (Free Money :) )

No it does not obligate you to further service. This question gets asked alot. The GIbill is a college entitllement that the govt uses to attract people to the service, but it is funded through the Dept of veterens affairs.

The program to stay away from while in AD is tuition assistance. This adds ADSC.

You may use the GI Bill up to 10 years later after leaving AD. Although I cant think of a better time to use it than while in civ residency. 1200 non taxed income 36 months. That is a good chunck of change on my mortage.

Chickendoc,
I, and my wife, both former Navy flight docs are currently using the GI bill during residency. She was smarter than I was and didnt believe what she was told initially.....that we were not qualified for it.....and payed when she first started internship. I had to pay the lump sum toward the end of my active duty, but it is definately worth the trouble.

If I am starting active duty in July, do I apply for the educational benefits now, if I don't want to pay the lump sum? How do you start paying during internship (or during ADSC) if you don't even have a residency position yet?

ProwlerturnGas said:
Chickendoc,
I, and my wife, both former Navy flight docs are currently using the GI bill during residency. She was smarter than I was and didnt believe what she was told initially.....that we were not qualified for it.....and payed when she first started internship. I had to pay the lump sum toward the end of my active duty, but it is definately worth the trouble.

sethco said:
If I am starting active duty in July, do I apply for the educational benefits now, if I don't want to pay the lump sum? How do you start paying during internship (or during ADSC) if you don't even have a residency position yet?

You are just confused on this whole thing. You pay into it during your first year on AD. Then you apply through the VA 4+years later to use the benefits after you leave AD.

Simply go to PSD and opt for the program. When I checked into Portsmouth Naval hospital for intern orientation in 2001, they came and presented it to us as an option. Alot of people have been screwed in the past few years though with bad advice from PSD stating that you are ineligible due to hpsp or b/c you are a physician. That is crap. SIGN UP FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, everyone should sign up for the GI bill at their entrance into Active duty. This usually, for us, is internship. It is not a scam, it is not duping the government! It most certainly is not fraud. You are eligible. If you chose not to have the $100 a month taken out of your pay the first year, based on bad gouge, you can do a lump sum payment to get the GI bill later. It is VERY nice to use the GI bill during civilian residency as it almost doubles your pay. You also get it for 3 years of your residency. $1200 for $36,000 worth of GI bill is the best investment you will ever make!

For me, I believed that I was not eligible and did not sign up during my internship. This was based on what I was told. Despite what has been said above, it is very confusing and there is much misunderstanding. To restore your GI bill benefits, you need to petition the board for Correction of Naval Records. This will reverse your original declination. Start by going to this website: www.hq.navy.mil/bcnr/bcnr.htm#applicant
You can download the form needed to petition the board. State the truth....that you were given bad gouge when you first came on AD and you would like to correct this error. Be polite and professional. Once you get a correction letter, go to PSD and sign up for the GI bill. You will need to pay $1200 at this time. You will get a letter from the VA stating eligibility. It seems like a pain in the ass, but is easy. It just takes some time, ie: months.
Hope this helps some :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
ProwlerturnGas said:
Chickendoc,

thanks for the encouragement.....anything to help the salary transition! I was lucky to have started it back in OIS. Even then it was not well advertised and I figured I could always use it to go to culinary school!

Is it worth participating in the GI Bill during School Orders (i.e. end of 2nd year of medical school)? Or is it better to wait until internship year (i.e. the year after medical school)?

Thanks.

navy said:
Is it worth participating in the GI Bill during School Orders (i.e. end of 2nd year of medical school)? Or is it better to wait until internship year (i.e. the year after medical school)?

Thanks.

You have to wait till you are on AD before you can sign up. Just wait till then. Besides once you are on AD you will not wory at all about spending th 1800.

navy said:

Thanks.
You have to wait till you are on AD before you can sign up. Just wait till then. Besides once you are on AD you will not wory at all about spending th 1800.

usnavdoc said:

i thought that school orders were considered AD?

navy said:
i thought that school orders were considered AD?

Yes, technically school orders are AD, but considered active duty for training, which cannot be used for GI bill qualification. Once you start internship, you are considered on permanent AD and then you can sign up for the GI bill.

ProwlerturnGas said:
Yes, technically school orders are AD, but considered active duty for training, which cannot be used for GI bill qualification. Once you start internship, you are considered on permanent AD and then you can sign up for the GI bill.

got it. thank you very much.

this forum is quite useful (-:

usnavdoc said:
Also dont forget the kicker portion when you sign up.

I read about the kicker, but still don't understand what it is or what I need to do to get it. Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

navy said:
I read about the kicker, but still don't understand what it is or what I need to do to get it. Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

Whe you sign up for he GI Bill you will also sign up for it. It basically an additional 600 dollars you contribute. In return you will recieve anadditional 150/mo for the 36 months.

It will up your payback from 1034/mo to 1184/mo.