Getting your DPT in the US but practicing in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtlot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I originally posted this question in the Physical Therapy forum. I'm curious if anyone is able to help me!

I have a few questions regarding this topic. Currently, I've been accepted to a DPT program in Texas and will begin in the fall. Because my significant other lives in Canada, my plan is to eventually move there. I'm curious what type of process I will have to go through in order to practice in Canada. Because I am using student loans to pay for PT school, I will owe the US federal government a lot of money.

I understand that in order for me to work in Canada, I would have to apply for the Ontario Internationally Educated Physical Therapy Bridging Program (OIEPB). That program alone takes 9 months. Then I will become eligible to take their national licensure exam.

I'm curious if are any others who have been in this situation or have any insight to offer on what I am able to do.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! I originally posted this question in the Physical Therapy forum. I'm curious if anyone is able to help me!

I have a few questions regarding this topic. Currently, I've been accepted to a DPT program in Texas and will begin in the fall. Because my significant other lives in Canada, my plan is to eventually move there. I'm curious what type of process I will have to go through in order to practice in Canada. Because I am using student loans to pay for PT school, I will owe the US federal government a lot of money.

I understand that in order for me to work in Canada, I would have to apply for the Ontario Internationally Educated Physical Therapy Bridging Program (OIEPB). That program alone takes 9 months. Then I will become eligible to take their national licensure exam.

I'm curious if are any others who have been in this situation or have any insight to offer on what I am able to do.

Thanks!
Are you a canadian citizen/PR? Or do you intend to just be married by the time you want to move to Canada? (I couldn't figure out if you are a dual citizen or just have a canadian partner as a US citizen etc). That will be the first checkpoint.

It will vary by province for sure.

I am currently a US citizen, having been born and raised here my entire life. My plan is to eventually seek dual citizenship between the US and Canada because my parents will still live in the US. My goal is to hopefully be engaged or married by the time I would move to Canada.

I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to rail from OP's question, but would a U.S. DPT be able to advertise as a Dr.? I know that physio programs in Canada do not award doctoral degrees in physiotherapy, so I was just interested whether foreign DPT's can retain their doctoral status as working practitioners in Canada.

Not to rail from OP's question, but would a U.S. DPT be able to advertise as a Dr.? I know that physio programs in Canada do not award doctoral degrees in physiotherapy, so I was just interested whether foreign DPT's can retain their doctoral status as working practitioners in Canada.
Does it matter?

You wouldn't be a Doctor in the sense of physician.

You would be a physiotherapist who just happens to have a doctoral-type degree.

It honestly doesn't matter though.

Does it matter?

You wouldn't be a Doctor in the sense of physician.

You would be a physiotherapist who just happens to have a doctoral-type degree.

It honestly doesn't matter though.

For me it doesn't (and I really dont think it should). But, among my PT friends stuyding in Canada Vs. U.S, this is often a very heated discussion. In terms of public perception, lets say one PT advertised as "Dr." while another PT did not have that notation....could make a lot of difference in terms on who people go to.

Anyways, hopefully OP gets the answer he/she is looking for.

For me it doesn't (and I really dont think it should). But, among my PT friends stuyding in Canada Vs. U.S, this is often a very heated discussion. In terms of public perception, lets say one PT advertised as "Dr." while another PT did not have that notation....could make a lot of difference in terms on who people go to.

Anyways, hopefully OP gets the answer he/she is looking for.

Well they shouldn't really be advertising any differently I don't think - the services they would provide would be more or less identical on the baseline, with variance on an individual practitioners extra training or comfort levels etc.

I guess you can put Dr in front if you really wanted to - but it would be misleading as it wouldn't be because you have some extra training or are a physician , just difference in the distributing bodies degree notations.

Hey all!

I actually found the answer to my question through some heavy research!

I found a ton on information on how I would be able to practice PT in Canada. According to The Alliance (The organization that regulates practicing physiotherapists in Canada), the education Americans receive here should meet the standards set by the Alliance. So I believe that those educated in the US could apply through The Alliance, they would determine if the education we received here meets their standards, and then we would be eligible to take the national licensing test. Here is the link if anyone is curious: http://www.alliancept.org/credential_scp_unitedstatesofamerica.php

Regarding the title, I believe to the public's eyes, PT's should not address themselves as doctors because the term "doctor" is commonly known to be licensed practicing physicians. However, in an academic standpoint, I believe the term "doctor" could apply. It's essentially the same if a nurse were to get their DNP. Would the nurse want to be called Doctor to their patients? If I were to practice in the US or Canada, I would not want to be called Doctor. I feel the term sounds pretentious as there are much more experienced, wiser PTs out there with just their bachelor's or master's. I would instead want to be called by my first name or Ms. _____.

Reactions: 1 users