Getting started...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etoile

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so happy to see this forum. I just started looking into MPH programs.

So here's my question...I was looking at the program at the University of Washington and it says you need three years of US public health experience. What kind of work experience do you all have? How did you get started in it?

I have a BA in French/buisness, so I don't really have a background in this area, but I want to find out more about it. I'm currently back in school taking my med prerequisites. Is there anything else I should be taking if I want to keep the MPH option open?

Oh, the other thing is that I'm living in Canada right now, so if any happens to have any ideas specific to public health in Canada, that would be great, too!

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Research experience is a huge plus when applying to MPH programs. I spent a year after undergrad working as a data manager and neuropsychology technician for a clinical trial of anti-inflammatory drug treatment for Alzheimer's Disease.

You should be able to find some entry-level public health gigs at this website:

http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm

You may also want to contact individual faculty at UW with whom you share a research interest, and see if they have any openings for a research assistant or lab technician. A letter from them would certainly be an asset to your application!

If you are looking for experience unique to Canada, maybe check out some of the addiction treatment and harm prevention programs there. British Columbia, I think along with one or two other provinces (i really dont know too much about it yet) is throwing around the idea of opening government supervised addiction maintenance clinics. There are many syringe exchanges that I'm sure could use some help if you've got some time to spare volunteering. These suggestions come to mind because I've recently started work at a syringe exchange in NY, and I'm intrigued by the whole harm-reduction philosophy.

I had no public health experience before starting my mph program. If this school requires it, I would try to find something in research or health education. Internships at your local health department might be a start if you are currently working.