Getting into optometry school with average grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avgafterhs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I’m a current third-year at UCLA and will be taking a gap year after graduation. My goal school is SCCO, but my science/major (psychobiology) GPA isn’t very strong - we’re talking right underneath 3.0. Basically, I’ve gotten Bs and B-s for most of my science courses. My overall GPA is only over 3.5 because of my As in my GE courses. Will this be a huge problem for getting into SCCO? And will a C on the transcript look really bad?

I will be taking the OAT this coming September, and I have relatively decent extracurricular activities that are related to the optometric profession.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have similar stats and got into Western, SCCO, and Berkeley. I even had a scholarship extended from SCCO. I graduated from UCLA psychobiology with a cumulative 3.3 and a science 2.9. With SCCO they want to see a strong OAT. Study hard and I'm sure you'll be fine :) feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Not to sound obtuse but isn’t that why most people end up applying to optometry? You should be a ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to sound obtuse but isn’t that why most people end up applying to optometry? You should be a ok.

I really hope you’re not insinuating subpar grades lead “most people” to optometry. That comment does sound obtuse, and somewhat ignorant.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi,

I have similar stats and got into Western, SCCO, and Berkeley. I even had a scholarship extended from SCCO. I graduated from UCLA psychobiology with a cumulative 3.3 and a science 2.9. With SCCO they want to see a strong OAT. Study hard and I'm sure you'll be fine :) feel free to message me if you have any other questions!
Thank you!! That’s good to hear. Do you know how they view retaking classes?

Thank you!! That’s good to hear. Do you know how they view retaking classes?

I'm not entirely sure how each school views them. When you retook the classes may be a factor. I retook the classes early in my undergraduate career. SCCO told us at their admissions workshop that if our grades were better in the 3rd and 4th years they would take that into consideration. Hope this helps!