Getting into med school with a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreliz26

Reaction score
I am a sophomore currently in college with a gpa of 3.04. The reason that it is so low is that I participated in a dual enrollment program in high school that gave me credits for both high school and college. During this time I developed many medical problems that the doctors couldn't figure out so I spent the majority of my time at the dr. office or at children's hospital. This caused me to get terrible grades which have now been moved to my college transcript as well. They eventually figured out what was wrong with me and I have been on medication since and am doing fine now. Since entering college last school year I have maintained a gpa of at least a 3.65. Will having my gpa being so low make it too difficult for me to even be considered for medical school or do I still have an ok chance because it was during high school and due to medical issues? I've tried talking to my university's pre-med advisor about it, but they weren't very helpful and just kind of brushed me off. Also, I am open to both MD and DO schools but do have a preference towards MD. If anyone could give me any advice or their thoughts on the matter I would really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Rising GPA trends are always a good thing. You're not dead yet by any means

Thank you for your reply! I’ll be doing plenty of volunteering, shadowing, and am currently applying for a research internship for this summer and beyond. I am wondering for my gpa, I am going to do my absolute best in classes but can’t guarantee a 4.0 each semester, but do you think it would be a good idea to do a program after my bachelors? Or would this upward trend in gpa be enough to show that I’m doing well in school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
you will need to raise your GPA, if I were you I'd try to focus on my grades and get higher than a 3.65. You may need a post-bac but you are no means disqualified from medical school. I would still try to "check the boxes" of shadowing, volunteering etc, but I would make grades my main focus. You can do it!

What is your GPA by semester?

High School
Freshman Fall
Freshman Spring
Soph Fall

What is your GPA by semester?

High School
Freshman Fall
Freshman Spring
Soph Fall

High school credits: 2.62 and 3.44 (different dual enrollment programs)
Freshman fall: 3.65
Freshman spring: had to defer due to medical diagnosis
Sophomore fall: no final grades yet but probably somewhere around a 3.7 or 3.75 (chemistry is killing me)

High school credits: 2.62 and 3.44 (different dual enrollment programs)
Freshman fall: 3.65
Freshman spring: had to defer due to medical diagnosis
Sophomore fall: no final grades yet but probably somewhere around a 3.7 or 3.75 (chemistry is killing me)

You're doing great.

Reactions: 1 user