Getting into Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is the best place to ask for advice on becoming a derm.

I'm in the process of applying to med schools and what I gather from the competition of the derm residency in order to be considered for an allo derm residency my best bet would be to get into an MD program vs. DO.

As a future med student I just wanted to know how to go about from there. How do you find research positions in order to gain publications and is this research done in the summer or doing your med school year? How do you go about acquiring the derm rotations and getting to know people in derm if you don't know anyone in the field? Is this something you discuss with an advisor in med school or do you just line up your own rotations, research etc.?

Thanks guys..sorry if I sound like an amateur, but I kind of am

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still trying to navigate this whole maze myself but hopefully some of the advice will be helpful (or accurate)

1) I do think MD applicants have the advantage over DO's.

2) Research can be done during the school year itself in Years 1 and 2 and for those who are highly ambitious, maybe even into Year 3. Most students take the first summer (which is usually free) and turn that into a research summer. In speaking with some of the derm faculty, research that is meaningful usually requires taking a year off. How to gain publications is a good question as I've garnered exactly zero myself. In learning from my mistakes, I would recommend being upfront with the researcher you're working with about your goals (I was afraid this would make me seem too pushy or narrow-minded but maybe it helps?) and if you're pressed for time, seek out a clinical research project as opposed to a basic science one.

3) In terms of getting to know faculty members, I basically sent blind emails to the department in my first month at school and asked if I could sit down and chat. Oddly enough, most of my emails were very well-received and many did grant me that opportunity to sit and chat. (I should note I did speak with my academic adviser before doing this)

4) In fact, speaking with your academic adviser as soon as possible would be a great idea in lining up contacts, research projects, and ultimately, rotations in dermatology. (Our school doesn't allow for electives until the final year so to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to select such a rotation. I have heard repeatedly that the key is to nab one early and to impress everyone!)