Getting insignificant results...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StatsNerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
... kinda sucks. Especially when you were so sure your hypotheses were correct. I still have more data to collect but just looking at what I have so far (about 70% of the data), it looks like I'm going to have mostly insignificant results.

This is for a senior undergrad individual research project. I was really excited about it, but now I'm just... scared people will think my lack of significant findings mean I must have poorly designed my study, or that I was just stupid in my predictions. :/

That said, even if nothing comes back significant there is still much that can be taken away from this. In fact, the lack of sig. will actually make me think more about and question some long-held beliefs I've had about this topic, which I think is a good thing.

Still, I'm kinda bummed. :lame:

Members don't see this ad.

... kinda sucks. Especially when you were so sure your hypotheses were correct. I still have more data to collect but just looking at what I have so far (about 70% of the data), it looks like I'm going to have mostly insignificant results.

This is for a senior undergrad individual research project. I was really excited about it, but now I'm just... scared people will think my lack of significant findings mean I must have poorly designed my study, or that I was just stupid in my predictions. :/

That said, even if nothing comes back significant there is still much that can be taken away from this. In fact, the lack of sig. will actually make me think more about and question some long-held beliefs I've had about this topic, which I think is a good thing.

Still, I'm kinda bummed. :lame:
A few points:

1) I've been there. It is lame.
2) If you're interested in a career in research, get used to it
3) As you go on, you learn how to set up your experiments better so that getting results that are not statistically significant doesn't sink your experiment. It just comes with time and experience.