Getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for fellows/sports docs, what types of things can we be doing to set ourselves up for success as a resident.

-How important is attending the AMSSM confrence? Does it really make or break an application? Taking leave for confrences is difficult in my residency, the military had really tightened down on CME.

-how important is event coverage? Are some fellowships lighter on events?

-how important are publications? After some programs more academic than others or is scholarly activity pretty standard at most fellowships?

-audition rotations. Is it common to take elective time during residency to go rotate at places youre interested, or is that more of a med stud thing?

-other stuff...does anyone care about board scores anymore? 3 lors from sports docs or 2 from sports and one from your pd? Do they care about stuff like being chief, volunteering, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

So for fellows/sports docs, what types of things can we be doing to set ourselves up for success as a resident.

-How important is attending the AMSSM confrence? Does it really make or break an application? Taking leave for confrences is difficult in my residency, the military had really tightened down on CME.

I'd say important. If you can do a case presentation that's likely to put you in the top 99% among the candidates. If you can't, no biggie. The fellowship fair is a big deal. You'll see PD's there, try and connect as much as you can, setup away rotations if they offer. It's a great way to find info from the current fellow on what its like, what to expect etc.

Again, important. You need some. They want you to be familiar with how the system "works" aka. working w/ PT, ATs etc.
No fellowship will be light on events, since that's where you see the injuries happen, that's what the kind of work environment they prep you for. Infact, you should be looking at programs that are event heavy, since that'll give you great exposure.

-how important are publications? After some programs more academic than others or is scholarly activity pretty standard at most fellowships?

No one really expects it, unless you're applying for an academic program. I did had them, because I wanted to be at a academic program.

-audition rotations. Is it common to take elective time during residency to go rotate at places youre interested, or is that more of a med stud thing?

Yes, yes, yes. This is a huge plus for you and the program. I did 1 (This is ACGME mandated, if you do more than 2+ weeks away from your home program, they don't get funding, so they might fight you, but go ahead and do it for 2 weeks if you can). I infant was able to lower the rank on a program that I auditioned at because I was able to see much more than what I would have if I was there for just an interview.

-other stuff...does anyone care about board scores anymore? 3 lors from sports docs or 2 from sports and one from your pd? Do they care about stuff like being chief, volunteering, etc.

No to board scores.
Sports letter is key. PD's letter is a requirement.
I was not a chief, no one really cares.
Volunteering is completely upto you, doubt it counts.

Again, this is all anecdotal, since I managed to match by doing the above this year.

I would suggest going on the AMSSM website, they have a great tutorial on what to do!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
-How important is attending the AMSSM conference?
** Important, but not entirely necessary. It's important because of the fellowship fair and networking with potential programs. Sports medicine is a smaller world than you think, and we all know each other (or their reputations). If for some reason you can't make it, try to do an away elective at a fellowship, or know the local programs in your state, or previous/current PCSM physicians in your area and ask for advice.

** It's good to have some in residency. When programs look at your application, they'll look to see "Well what have they done sports medicine related in residency?". Event coverage is probably the easiest thing to do. Find a local high school and cover a few football/soccer games. Volunteer for the local marathon or Special olympics games. Event coverage is essential for sports medicine, but some are heavier than others.

** It helps, but not necessary. Scholarly activity is required in fellowship (just like in residency). Can't escape it. In sports medicine we are always trying to push the envelope, so there are so many opportunities to publish/research/case presentation.

-audition rotations
I never did it, but if your program does not have a sports med fellowship, I would highly recommend to do an audition rotation. It beefs up your "sports medicine experience during residency" on the CV

Eh not really, although there were a few programs that even asked for my ITE scores.
I think PD is required, as well as from a physician who is a member of AMSSM.
Volunteering/sports event coverage is one and the same.
What i've told people, and i've heard this from programs as well, is that the a good sports medicine fellow is good at their primary specialty. If you're an excellent resident, you can translate well into fellowship. If you have been put into academic prescription, suspended, took multiple times for Step 3, and professionalism issues, etc, it'll be harder to match, let alone get an interview.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users

I was always told it was important so I made a point to go. Fellowship fair is how you get your name and face out there, I think it was helpful in getting interviews.

IMPORTANT! Can't stress it enough, this is where your money is . Find a local physician (FM, ortho, etc) that covers the high school/colleges near by and get tuned in with them.

I had a poster at our state FM conference. It was enough for me, but other programs may want more.

Like 2nd most important thing. This is how you figure out if you can work with a group of people for a year and vice versa.

-other stuff...does anyone care about board scores anymore? 3 lors from sports docs or 2 from sports and one from your pd? Do they care about stuff like being chief, volunteering, etc

Board scores probably not, just make sure you pass and not just by skin of your teeth. Same for ITE I assume.

LORs from the people you work with the most, doesn't hurt to have an AMSSM member

Volunteer to get experience and/or you enjoy it. I did some free clinic work in addition to event coverage because its good for the community and doesn't hurt to have it on an application

Always heard that people are looking for people that are truly interested in sports medicine and not that they just thought half way through residency it would be a fun thing to do. Get your hands dirty and get out there! Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback everyone...you can read the things your supposed to do on AMSSMs website, but it's nice to hear what people actually do.

I'm in a mil residency so all our fellows tend to train at the mil fellowshup, where the selection process is very different and there is no one to ask what the civilian process is like.

Not necessary but it does show you are actually interested if you did the leg work and showed dedication.

It heavily depends on the program. Most programs prioritize side line coverage. Then again a few programs do not care too much. And those few programs which do not care about side line coverage do produce leaders in the field who lead us in sports medicine research to actually change how we practice, and the same programs donproduce sports docs that would cover division 1 and professional sports teams. The question that you should be asking is: do you like sideline coverage. You can still be a very good sports doctors without covering team sports that are trusted for specific skills you bring in, so don't be shy in admitting it if you do not like standing on sideline in freezing rain. The path to sports medicine fellowship is various, and my advise is to pursue it however you feel is right. Just try not to take it easy on yourself. Hard work, regardless of the types or directions, will be appreciated by certain programs. Try not to be what they want you to be. Try to be who you want to be, and make sure you do it well.

Some academic programs highly value this. Again, if you want to be a community doc or staff physician at academic centers, I believe your best bet is to do lots of sideline coverages. But if you want to make changes in current practice, or if you see a hole in current sports medicine and want to make changes, then publication and research would be your focus of choice. There are different ways you can be a sports doc (nerdy kind and hands on kind, or little bit of both) and you should be making the decision on what type of program you want to impress.

You can consider audition rotations but most prominent programs usually give priority to their own residents.

-other stuff...does anyone care about board scores anymore? 3 lors from sports docs or 2 from sports and one from your pd? Do they care about stuff like being chief, volunteering, etc.[/QUOTE]

Scores do not matter as much as strong endorsement by leaders in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
The path to sports medicine fellowship is various, and my advise is to pursue it however you feel is right. Just try not to take it easy on yourself. Hard work, regardless of the types or directions, will be appreciated by certain programs. Try not to be what they want you to be. Try to be who you want to be, and make sure you do it well.

That is the best advice in this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it important to go to a FM residency program that has a sports fellowship? Does it matter where I do FM residency?

yes to all if you want a top fellowhsip

I don't think it makes or breaks but it definitely shows interest in the field. Go if you can, present if you can but if you can't make it then do other things.

These are very important. Again it shows interest and dedication to the field. Try to work with a team doctor during 1st/2nd year but try to cover your own team as a 3rd year. I think individual programs vary on what they cover which to some extent dictates the volume they cover but they ALL stress coverage.

This depends on what or where you want to go. Some are very academic and doing/publishing research would be very important but others are not just depends. Some will require unique research while others simply a case presentation at AMSSM or ACSM.

You don't have to do this but if you really want a particular program then it can either help or hurt you. You may go there and show them all the good things about yourself and increase your chances of a match but you might also show them things that you application does not and kill your chances of a match.

They want to see that you pass your tests on the first try. I would say 2 from sports docs and 1 from your PD as they will have spent the most time with you and know more about you then someone you worked with off and on for a number of weeks to months. I don't think they care about chiefs as some programs make all of the 3rd years chiefs so it does not always mean much. I think the most important thing is volunteering and showing interest. Help with pre-participation physicals, mass events, longitudinal sideline coverage above all. Go to conferences if able and if you do try to present a poster.