Getting in Shape for PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTtoBe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
More than a couple PTs and PT students I've talked to have recommended getting in good physical shape for PT school. Are there any programs or books out there that anyone recommends? I'm trying to get at least somewhat away from the idea of isolated muscle exercises, and am looking for something that hits more muscles in less time, using compound motion.

I'm also a big believe in running...just have to get a little more disciplined and do it more than once a week. :)

Members don't see this ad.

More than a couple PTs and PT students I've talked to have recommended getting in good physical shape for PT school. Are there any programs or books out there that anyone recommends? I'm trying to get at least somewhat away from the idea of isolated muscle exercises, and am looking for something that hits more muscles in less time, using compound motion.

I'm also a big believe in running...just have to get a little more disciplined and do it more than once a week. :)

Never heard that before. I wonder why it would matter. Has anybody else heard this?... anyways I'd recommend swimming along with doing some type of cycle-resistance workout.

I've never heard that either, but at orientation they said for one class we'll be running 2 miles and then they'll test us at the end of the semester again to see if we improved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard 2 reasons that it's prudent to get in shape:

1) You'll be spending a lot more time on your feet and learning transfers and physical maneuvers on each other in the labs.

2) When you pull off your shirt to have your posture or something else scrutinized in the 2nd week of school (as some schools are said to do), you might wish you'd taken the time to lose a couple pounds around the middle.

1) You'll be spending a lot more time on your feet and learning transfers and physical maneuvers on each other in the labs.

2) When you pull off your shirt to have your posture or something else scrutinized in the 2nd week of school (as some schools are said to do), you might wish you'd taken the time to lose a couple pounds around the middle.

Those are the exact reasons I was thinking! I'm gonna try to get in better shape this summer, but it's not necessarily for PT school. It's just because I feel I could be healthier.

LOL on #2...so true!

From the time i left my interviews i have been thinking along these lines! Who wants the title of flabbiest person in their class?? Think about it - we will be spending a lot of time partially clothed in our 1st year of school. Anyway, i picked up this book and i highly recommend it to anyone regardless of experience level...this book hits on everything: flexible training schedule, how to clean up your diet, programs designed for fat-loss, hypertrophy, strentgh - check it out (there is also a version for women)

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lif...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242828106&sr=8-2

Ha ha, nice CroakerSoaker! I actually just picked up the New Rules of Lifting for Women a week ago, having heard good things about the program. I just started Stage 1 of the workouts and love it so far! :)

wow I really want to buy that book now!

Croaker, you should receive a percentage of their sales, because I also just purchased a copy for me and my wife (incidentally, I noticed a PT gave it thumbs up as well). The reviews seem solid, and it's exactly what I was looking for in terms of getting more towards compound exercises using more muscle tissue to the task.

I'll plan on running/biking on the days I'm not at the gym. Thanks!

I thought about this as well. I would consider myself a little bigger than average, but not out of shape totally. My friend just gave me a copy of this workout he bought called P90X. It looks promising so I will try it.

I have a fairly normal diet. I haven't drank soda in the last 5 years and don't eat fast food at all. I think just giving those up, I have lost 20 lbs in the past several years. I have been trying to cook healthier foods as well. I really want to be healthier and be more confident when I start school. Hopefully this will pay off.

I think it's important for PT's to be in good physical shape (only my opinion) because of the work they do and being a role model for patients. I also think it's important because I feel S&C coaches and PT's should understand each other’s careers more because they can greatly benefit from each other, resulting in more benefits for patients and clients.

Eric Cressey is a great S&C coach and I bet he knows more about the body than most physical therapist know. Check out some of his articles: http://ericcressey.com/, he's very intelligent and you can learn a lot from him even in the field of PT.

Personally, this is the type of training I enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hk9z1YVcE&eurl=http://www.rosstraining.com/&feature=player_embedded

Ross is a freak.

O_O Wow, that Ross training is pretty awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
p90x is the most legit video program type product. definately good results from it and a great learning experience... however their cardio is tae boe type stuff which you can just substitute for whatever else you might enjoy.

Yeah, I am starting this week and I am excited. I usually work out with free weights at home and some cardio like running, but the video looks pretty intense. I am planning to follow their 90 day guide. Any suggestions on what I should do for nutrition intake?

Yeah, I am starting this week and I am excited. I usually work out with free weights at home and some cardio like running, but the video looks pretty intense. I am planning to follow their 90 day guide. Any suggestions on what I should do for nutrition intake?

If you give me your stats (age, bf%, weight) I can give you a somewhat detailed description of kcals/proportions you need to make the most out of your time and effort, if you want. You can pm me.

enjoyed watching Ross beat the tire with the hammer, fun exercise LOL!

p90x is the most legit video program type product. definately good results from it and a great learning experience... however their cardio is tae boe type stuff which you can just substitute for whatever else you might enjoy.

hey! were can I find it?

My friend gave me a copy, but you can download it anywhere online as a torrent. The file is pretty big, it is about 8.5 gigs.

I just started yesterday and I am really sore. I am using the classic routine since I am new. There is also the choice of double or lean. I think double incorporates more muscle building and lean has more cardio.

exrx, you got a pm. Thanks

I agree that the P90X stuff is a great program, but also that it's incredibly insane. I doubt anyone needs to look like that to be in PT school but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt...

I think that having decent core strength would be the most important, since all strength seems to involve that area. What interests me is how everyone will deal with their workout routines once they start PT school. I hear that exercise is a great stress reliever -- assuming you have the energy left.

It's true, exercise was a HUGE stress reliever for most of us.

Exercise can be a great stress reliever, but I find doing anything besides studying to be a stress reliever. I work on motorcycles in my free time and I find that very relaxing as well.

True pttrac...however, most of us in NYC don't have a car or bike to play around with! Would be awesome to have that hobby though.

On the other hand, exercise has been shown to keep your mind sharp during those long days in class! Especially for me, a person who doesn't drink coffee or soda.

Many in my class even went so far as to run a half marathon which took a lot of dedication and time away from studying but was so rewarding.

We just need to keep that thing that we like, I mean we do need to have something to do besides school or we'll go insane. I love ballet and is a stress reliever for me and an excellent workout. However, since I know I'm going to spend many horus in school, I'm thinking that I would just go to the school's gym in between classes or study sessions.

Well, that book arrived (The New Rules of Lifting) and it looks like exactly what I was looking for. It emphasizes building the muscles our body actually uses in every day activities, and not isolating biceps/pectorals etc. Also stresses power (speed in which the activity is carried out). Between that and In Defense of Food (by Michael Pollard) and Trail Guide to the Body, I've got my hands full with some fun reading material for the next several weeks easy. Of course, I can't exactly exercise while I'm reading...

:eyebrow:

I'm not looking to get huge or anything like that. I basically just want to strengthen my trunk (which stabilizes the appendages better, giving them something to brace off of more effectively), lose the softness that's developed around my midsection, feel more energetic (sans Red Bull), and ensure the safety of my back as well as the safety of the patients I'll be assisting in the lab.

Honestly, once school starts, I'm not sure I'll be doing much for exercise other than biking to class ever day. From what I hear, just the act of being a PT (on your feet, demonstrating exercises constantly, etc.) is enough to keep you in decent shape. I remember when I was an aide I lost 6 lbs. in a few weeks without even trying....which was more than I'd gained or lost in the previous 15 years. Just the constant walking, lifting, and bending adds up.

sorry im a little late but they have a nutrition guide if you've already downloaded it.

but in general depends if you want to lose fat or gain muscle. doing both at once is not possible unless you are untrained (initial newbie gains where body is like WTH is going on). its safe to say that eating healthy (whole grains, veggies) and consuming 1g of protein per lb you weight key.

I'm sorry, but that's too much protein. I am not going to eat 205 grams of protein in a day or for comparisons sake 6.5 cans of tuna. I do agree though that nutrition is a key though. a good rule of thumb is 60 percent carbs, 20 percent protein and 20 percent fat, depending on what your goal is.

I would fair to say that eating 4-6 SMALL meals is a key element to maintaining a healthy bf% along with regular cardio, strength training and flexibility training.
In the New Rules of Lifting book and on online health forums I read it's good to have 40c/30p/30f. But I know it differs with every person, and like you said, what their goal is. Eating 5 small meals is definitely key for me! Keeps me full throughout the day and keeps my metabolism working.

I am an athletic training student and we were somewhat suggested to do the same. It makes sense because we have to be able to work with the athletes doing a lot of things. Also, doing special tests and such it is useful to have some arm strength to actually be able to move the patient's extremities as well as helping athletes off the field, etc.

And for some it is a great way to relive stress. I try to go at least twice a week for about an hour each time..

So, I bought the new rules for lifting too (for women)!! I haven't started though. However, while in Amazon I bought anatomy of strenght training, and stretching anatomy...and I LOVE these books, I find them really useful. Is funny because I went to read the reviews and everyone wrote the same thing "It's great but terms are too technical/anatomy" and in fact that's why is good for us!

Yes, I picked up Strength Training Anatomy at Costco for about 11 bucks. I find it useful to look at the exercises that New Rules has in Strength Training Anatomy, so that while I'm executing the exercise I can think about which muscles are involved.

I have to confess I just don't feel like counting calories or figuring out percentages of c/p/f. I pretty much try to just eat food in its more natural state (mixed salads, sandwiches with unprocessed meat, fruits) and make sure there's at least some mix of proteins/carbs/veggies (fats pretty much take care of themselves), and protein shakes after exercise, eat every 3 hrs, drink water often, and only eat until I'm not really hungry. I figure that covers it pretty well.

So do you think you guys would judge your fellow classmates who aren't as fit? 'Cause I know there are many people in physical therapy school who do have some extra pounds on them.

I don't think I'll judge them at all, but is just the idea of that MDs should be healthy so for example they shouldn't smoke, PTs should be active and maintain a healthy diet...I mean everyone should be that way, and it shouldn't be: do as a say. not as a I do.

Some of you people really have the wrong idea...you should not want to get in shape so you can look good when you take your clothes off to find anatomical landmarks. Seriously.

That type of extrinsic motivation is weak and eventually runs out. You should want to work toward overall better health by taking a multifaceted approach (i.e exercise, eating right, stress reduction, full night's sleep, etc...).

You are not going into a field that encourages its patients to look good so they can be one the cover of a magazine. You are going into a field that encourages its patients to become functional through taking the aforementioned approach--the emphasis being on exercise and rehabilitation. Your standard, and as far as I am concerned, every health care professional's standard should be that second paragraph.

So what if you have a few extra lbs? What it comes down to is whether or not you are actively pursuing to live a healthy life, or are an acting hypocrite.

Some of you people really have the wrong idea...you should not want to get in shape so you can look good when you take your clothes off to find anatomical landmarks. Seriously.

That type of extrinsic motivation is weak and eventually runs out. You should want to work toward overall better health by taking a multifaceted approach (i.e exercise, eating right, stress reduction, full night's sleep, etc...).

You are not going into a field that encourages its patients to look good so they can be one the cover of a magazine. You are going into a field that encourages its patients to become functional through taking the aforementioned approach--the emphasis being on exercise and rehabilitation. Your standard, and as far as I am concerned, every health care professional's standard should be that second paragraph.

So what if you have a few extra lbs? What it comes down to is whether or not you are actively pursuing to live a healthy life, or are an acting hypocrite.

I hear you fallback, but honestly I think there will be some diversity among each students' individual motivation, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as the end result is they are staying in shape (i.e. maintaining their functionality) in my opinion.

Now, it would be pretty screwed up if, say, they're urging an obese patient to get in shape "for cosmetic benefits", rather than the much more important benefit of lowering their blood pressure through fat loss.

For me personally, the "not wanting to be a hypocrite" side of things is my biggest motivator (probably a pretty common theme among most PT students I'll bet), and what will give my physical self-maintenance longevity, but sometimes when I'm trying to decide what to eat it helps to picture myself standing shirtless in front of a class for some added motivation. :)

Actually, I'm a really small/petite/short girl. I know I will have to gain more strength since I will need not only for school but to work in the future, either to assist patients, or lift a child if I go for pediatrics (which is the plan for now) that's my main motivation....of course, is summer and I'm not taking classes for the first time in 4 years so yeah I can take the time to workout