Getting Back into Canada / Staying in Canada in the First Place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IveGotQuestions

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been looking over the previous board and is it really that difficult for Canadian Citizens to return to Canada after getting their Medical Degrees in an International School? I'm still in high school and am planning on applying to schools this fall and am torn between an International School and a Canadian School. Should I go to an International School and become a doctor in 5/6 years and then keep trying to be able to get a residency match? How long would it take to be successful in this endeavor? Or should I complete four years of my Undergraduate, try to get into Med School, and then apply for a residency match? How hard is it for people with Canadian degrees to get a residency match? Do you have more choices as in what you can specialize in? If so, what kinds of options are available for Canadians with International degrees? I tried looking this up, but didn't come up with very much information.
Also, what's all this stuff about taking the USMLE's and then doing the residency in the US? How are you then able to practice in Canada? I've also heard of people spending a couple of years in the Caribbean and then spending a couple of years in the US to get their Medical degrees. Is that right, or have I read that information incorrectly? Would that be a four year option out of high school? Are there certain countries (other than Canada)from which if you get a degree, you are more likely to be able to get a residency match?
In additon, what's a Fellowship? I've read that people can do their residency in the US and then their Fellowship in Canada. Can you practice in Canada with a Fellowship in Canada? How hard is it to be able to do a Fellowship? Do you have to apply?
Finally, if I want to work in a Canadian Government hospital, upon completing all of my schooling, etc, which option is better and would increase my chances?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I've been looking over the previous board and is it really that difficult for Canadian Citizens to return to Canada after getting their Medical Degrees in an International School?
Yes.

I'm still in high school and am planning on applying to schools this fall and am torn between an International School and a Canadian School. Should I go to an International School and become a doctor in 5/6 years and then keep trying to be able to get a residency match?
You should do an undergrad in Canada and try to get into a Canadian school. Getting a residency in Canada after graduating from an international school is more difficult than getting into a Canadian med school in the first place.

How hard is it for people with Canadian degrees to get a residency match?
Very easy, provided you are not picky with your specialty or location.

Also, what's all this stuff about taking the USMLE's and then doing the residency in the US? Canadians do this because they were not able to obtain a Canadian residency spot (easier to get a residency in the US than Canada)

I've also heard of people spending a couple of years in the Caribbean and then spending a couple of years in the US to get their Medical degrees. Is that right, or have I read that information incorrectly?
You heard it right. First 2 years are basic sciences which are done in the carib. Last 2 years are clinical rotations which are done in US hospitals.

Would that be a four year option out of high school?
No. You have to do a Bachelors degree first. And since you have to do that, you might as well study hard and try to get into a Canadian med school.

In additon, what's a Fellowship?
It's a period of training in a sub-specialty after you have completed a residency.

How hard is it to be able to do a Fellowship? Do you have to apply?
Yes you have to apply. How else would you get it?

Finally, if I want to work in a Canadian Government hospital, upon completing all of my schooling, etc, which option is better and would increase my chances?
Essentially all hospitals in Canada are publicly funded.

Thanks for your help in advance!
You're welcome.

Hey Dreaming, thanks for answering all of my questions. Are you currently in Med school? Or are you doing your BSc? I'm guessing you go to a university in Canada seeing that you are all pro-Canadian universities :):)