Getting a pharmacy residency with low P1 grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UconnRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'am currently a pharmacy student who just completely my first professional year and moving on to my second professional year. I want to do a residency after I finish all my years in pharmacy school but the thing that concerns me is that my grades for my first year was really low, my GPA for my first year is around a 2.6. It was a difficult adjustment after getting into pharmacy school. I wonder if I do better later on in the future what are my chances of getting into a residency?

Will my first year grades totally ruining my chances of ever getting a residency? I wanna work in a clinical setting and the last thing I want to do after I graduate is be stuck in a retail setting for the rest of my life. I am currently involve in organizations and what not to try to boost my other areas to make up for my bad GPA. does anyone know anyone who had a residency that their grades were not so great? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

bottom line... you got two more years to seriously boost up that gpa. anyone can correct me if im wrong, but you need at least a 3.0 to even be looked at.

THEN all the extra curricular stuff looks good

Will my first year grades totally ruining my chances of ever getting a residency? I wanna work in a clinical setting and the last thing I want to do after I graduate is be stuck in a retail setting for the rest of my life. I am currently involve in organizations and what not to try to boost my other areas to make up for my bad GPA. does anyone know anyone who had a residency that their grades were not so great? Thank you!

Do what you can to pull your grades up over the next few years. I don't remember how the new curriculum works, but make sure you do well in any clinical based classes and IPPEs/APPEs. Rho chi offers tutoring. Take advantage of this and any office hours available.

Talk to Dr. Schlesselman and Dr. Fitzgerald for advice on pursuing residency. They both have worked with students pursuing residency in the past. They can help put you in contact with other people to help you. Work with the faculty to pull up your grades.

What organizations are you in? Are you actively involved in community service and professional projects that these groups do? Do you have any experience working/volunteering at a hospital pharmacy? Do you have any faculty members you work closely with or you feel you could get to know? Faculty are great networking tools and will likely provide letters of recommendation when you apply.

If you have any specific questions or want to send me this info privately, PM me.