Get another EM LOR vs GREAT LOR from another specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth spending one of my elective months in another specialty where I know the PD from previous research work and will definitely get a great letter? OR should I invest my month on another EM rotation to get another SLOR and possibly a higher chance of interviewing at that particular EM program? I am sure both will be good learning experiences.

Background info:
- Will have 1 or 2 EM letters beforehand. This will probably be a third if I do the EM rotation.
- The other specialty I would be rotating in would be anesthesiology.
- I am a US student in Australia, so LORs are KEY!

Please donate your thoughts to a good charity... me. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I would go for the Anesthesiology LOR to show your depth, but only if there is a feeling they will mention your critical care and procedural ability, your ability to handle multiple tasks, etc. If it is written to be too focused on gas, it may hurt you...

NinerNiner999 said:
I would go for the Anesthesiology LOR to show your depth, but only if there is a feeling they will mention your critical care and procedural ability, your ability to handle multiple tasks, etc. If it is written to be too focused on gas, it may hurt you...

I would be doing more of a critical care rotation there anyway. I don't see myself learning as much from the OR aspect as I would in ICU. I will keep it in mind come letter time.

Thanks NinerNiner999!