Get a roommate while apart?

ruhroh_raggy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all! I have a "what would you do?" type of question...

I just matched at UAB for residency, and I'm thrilled about it - it was my favorite of the programs I looked at, and my husband and I are excited about living in Birmingham. The only catch is that he can't join me until next May when he finishes grad school. We've talked about it and while it's not ideal, we're not worried at all - it's not far from where we live, we know it's only a year and we'll make it work.

One of my co-interns just emailed all of us and asked if anyone would be willing to get an apartment together. I hadn't considered it before, but I started wondering if getting a roommate might make the distance a little easier to deal with during intern year. Has anyone in a long-distance marriage ever lived with a roommate? Is it a weird idea? Would it make visits from your spouse awkward? Or did it help anyone alleviate some of the pain of being apart from your spouse? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, all! I have a "what would you do?" type of question...

I just matched at UAB for residency, and I'm thrilled about it - it was my favorite of the programs I looked at, and my husband and I are excited about living in Birmingham. The only catch is that he can't join me until next May when he finishes grad school. We've talked about it and while it's not ideal, we're not worried at all - it's not far from where we live, we know it's only a year and we'll make it work.

One of my co-interns just emailed all of us and asked if anyone would be willing to get an apartment together. I hadn't considered it before, but I started wondering if getting a roommate might make the distance a little easier to deal with during intern year. Has anyone in a long-distance marriage ever lived with a roommate? Is it a weird idea? Would it make visits from your spouse awkward? Or did it help anyone alleviate some of the pain of being apart from your spouse? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Assuming that your potential roommate is female and that there are separate bedrooms (spouse visits), I think it is a good idea. I lived with roommates in med school while being engaged and in a long distance relationship. Also bear in mind that your husband will be joining you after ten months, a potential roommate may be looking for a longer commitment.

I agree with the post above......as long as it is not a dude and you are not into women at all....and there are separate rooms, then yea maybe not a bad idea.

Also, I would let that person know the deal with your spouse...

Lastly, I would like to ask whether or not you can handle living with a stranger and learning that person. Personally, I am not big on "roommates". I am hard to live with.....

I enjoy living by myself, but I also like to have roommates. They're entertaining, can understand the same stresses you are going through, and make you feel less... lonely. Even if the two of you aren't really "friends", just having another warm body in the same vicinity helps with the lonely feeling. Good luck.