Georgia Southern PsyD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybob2

Reaction score
Hey all! Does anyone have any insight or opinions into Georgia Southern's PsyD program? Any remarks would be appreciated! Positive or negative, about the reputation, program, admissions... really anything! Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Newish program, recent match rates are good. Tuition isn't absurd as long as you are in-state. I think you can get an assistantship to cover some costs, but they are limited.
Tuition is now fully waived and a stipend offered. I went there for undergrad, and the program was rather good then and has only gotten better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Does anyone have any insight or opinions into Georgia Southern's PsyD program? Any remarks would be appreciated! Positive or negative, about the reputation, program, admissions... really anything! Thank you! :)
PM me

Tuition is now fully waived and a stipend offered. I went there for undergrad, and the program was rather good then and has only gotten better.
Seems it would depend on how big that class happens to be.
"
  • Are there Graduate Assistantships (GAs) available for PsyD students?
Yes! There are 4 GAs available in the Psychology Department for incoming students each year. The other incoming students can apply for GAs in various departments on campus. All GAs (regardless of whether they are in the Psychology Department or in other departments) include a stipend and a full tuition waiver (including out of state tuition) in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. Students are still responsible for university fees.

Reactions: 1 users
Familiar with the program and location. I have heard mixed reviews. I have interacted with graduates of the program who seemed happy with the training they received. I have also interacted with some students/people who have negative perceptions of the program but their reasons were not related to the curriculum per say but more so other factors (happy to say more privately if needed).

Seems it would depend on how big that class happens to be.
"
  • Are there Graduate Assistantships (GAs) available for PsyD students?
Yes! There are 4 GAs available in the Psychology Department for incoming students each year. The other incoming students can apply for GAs in various departments on campus. All GAs (regardless of whether they are in the Psychology Department or in other departments) include a stipend and a full tuition waiver (including out of state tuition) in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. Students are still responsible for university fees.
Hmm...that's odd. I had been told they recently expanded full waiver to all 8 incoming students. Funding issues notwithstanding, I think the program is quite good as far as the curriculum goes, but OP should keep in mind that it is focused on rural mental health, and keep in mind that Statesboro is, well...very rural and located deep in the hot, humid, gnat-infested, Red south...emphasis on all of those words (and I grew up in that area, so take that as you will). I will always love Statesboro, but people who did not grow up in such an area may find it uncomfortable for cultural and climatological reasons.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm...that's odd. I had been told they recently expanded full waiver to all 8 incoming students. Funding issues notwithstanding, I think the program is quite good as far as the curriculum goes, but OP should keep in mind that it is focused on rural mental health, and keep in mind that Statesboro is, well...very rural and located deep in the hot, humid, gnat-infested, Red south...emphasis on all of those words (and I grew up in that area, so take that as you will). I will always love Statesboro, but people who did not grow up in such an area may find it uncomfortable for cultural and climatological reasons.
Slightly unfortunately, I am already stuck in Statesboro for my husband's work at the university (lol so gnat infested, so red, so damn hot, but so cheap which is great at my age!). This is why I was curious about other people's opinions on the program! Trying to figure out making both our career ambitions work!

Slightly unfortunately, I am already stuck in Statesboro for my husband's work at the university (lol so gnat infested, so red, so damn hot, but so cheap which is great at my age!). This is why I was curious about other people's opinions on the program! Trying to figure out making both our career ambitions work!
As an alumnus of their undergraduate program who was taught my some of the doctoral students, and who knows the faculty and the curriculum, I think it’s a great program if rural mental health practice is an area of particular interest to you. I grew up not far from Statesboro, and will always have love for the area, despite knowing it has some sociocultural issues to address.