Georgia Re-App Chances/Out of State recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pico23958

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Georgia re-applicant with a science GPA of 3.64, regular GPA 3.71. I was wait-listed at Mercer, and I will be a re-applicant to MCG and UAB (my top choices), and others. My old MCAT was a 26 (horrible I know), and I just retested during the new April 2015 exam (I will post when I find out percentiles/scores). My extracurriculars are solid, as well as my two-year gap year work (nonprofit work in underserved high schools).

Do you all have any advice regarding my chances at UAB/MCG, and any recommendations for out of state programs I can apply to to have decent chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Come back when you get your MCAT score.

Think about PCOM-GA and next door VCOM-SC and ACOM.

I'm a Georgia re-applicant with a science GPA of 3.64, regular GPA 3.71. I was wait-listed at Mercer, and I will be a re-applicant to MCG and UAB (my top choices), and others. My old MCAT was a 26 (horrible I know), and I just retested during the new April 2015 exam (I will post when I find out percentiles/scores). My extracurriculars are solid, as well as my two-year gap year work (nonprofit work in underserved high schools).

Do you all have any advice regarding my chances at UAB/MCG, and any recommendations for out of state programs I can apply to to have decent chances?

UPDATE - My percentiles came out today - 73-83%. Not exactly what I wanted, but an improvement. My actual score comes out June 16.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a 509, or 80th percentile!
Chem - 126
CARS - 127
Bio - 126
Psych - 130

In addition to your Georgia state schools apply to these schools and you should receive some interviews:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
California Northstate
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July.

In addition to your Georgia state schools apply to these schools and you should receive some interviews:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
California Northstate
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July.

Thank you for the recommendations!! I've already submitted my AMCAS, and everything was processed yesterday, so it's ready to go! The schools I've already applied to are:
MCG
UAB
Arizona Tuscon
USC
USC Greenville
MUSC
Wakeforest
UNC
Mayo
East Tennessee (Quillen)
University of Tennessee
Miami
Mercer

I can do research, but I think I'd only be able to add a couple more.

Reactions: 1 user
UAB,UNC, the Tennessee schools and the South Carolina schools are state public schools that give strong preference to their own residents and accept very few OOS applicants with your stats. Mayo is a far reach. You need many more schools from my list to increase your odds of an acceptance. Also strongly consider applying to several DO schools.

.Not exactly what I wanted, but an improvement. My actual score comes out June 16.
Be9azb

If you really can only apply to a few more schools you damn well better make them count. Because out of your list only maybe 4 are realistic. That's nowhere near enough. Strongly consider DO schools as well.