This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherPre-med

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a thread for this application cycle for the Georgetown SMP. I just submitted my application. Has anyone gotten in recently? How long does it take to hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't been able to find a thread for this application cycle for the Georgetown SMP. I just submitted my application. Has anyone gotten in recently? How long does it take to hear back?

Hi! I got in a few days ago. I submitted at the beginning of April, so about a 1.5 - 2 week turnaround.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, when did you guys recieve an email of your application being "under review"? I submitted my app last Friday 5/08

Hi, when did you guys recieve an email of your application being "under review"? I submitted my app last Friday 5/08
Hey, are all your letters of rec in? If all the materials are submitted you should receive an email saying "under review" within the week. If you don't, I would recommend you contacting the program.

Has anyone been accepted and is decided whether to go or not?

Has anyone been accepted and is decided whether to go or not?
Hey! I have been accepted, and also check the 2019 - 2020 thread. A lot of people are talking in that thread as well.

I have been accepted to the SMP program but I am wondering if anyone is choosing to opt out of in-person classes this fall due to COVID.

Hey guys, for those that have been accepted into the program, CONGRATS! I wanted to know how the waitlist is for GTDT? And which campus you guys are leaning toward? Also, has it been announced how classes will be working this year? Thanks!

I have been on the waitlist since early June and I am getting antsy and scared about it because I want this program so badly. Has anyone been admitted off of the waitlist yet? and do you know why it is taking a while to hear back?

I think I've seen waitlist movement. I'm seeing new people in our admitted student zoom info sessions. There are also still people deciding to go to GT over other SMPs. What are your stats and ECs? Who are you reaching out to?
I have been reaching out to the department like the main email that they us. My stat is a 3.4 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA and I also sent them my practice tests which was a 515. I haven't take the test bc of summer classes. But was planning on taking it in early August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT go to this smp. I graduated last year - just got into a medical school this year. Each interview they asked what an SMP was. It is honestly not worth the price. There are so many places that guarantee an interview. Most of my friends who got a 3.6+ GPA and 515+ MCAT did not even receive an interview from GT, let alone any medical school until this year. Basically guaranteed an acceptance if you are a foreign exchange student because you have to pay more to go to medical school.....

I’m kind of confused by your question. The SMP has no effect on your undergrad GPA. It looks as a masters. So your gpa there will be compared to anyone else who has completed a masters.

Do NOT go to this smp. I graduated last year - just got into a medical school this year. Each interview they asked what an SMP was. It is honestly not worth the price. There are so many places that guarantee an interview. Most of my friends who got a 3.6+ GPA and 515+ MCAT did not even receive an interview from GT, let alone any medical school until this year. Basically guaranteed an acceptance if you are a foreign exchange student because you have to pay more to go to medical school.....
What do you mean foreign exchange students? Are you referring to international students! Also, are you saying they get accepted to the SMP or GT SOM?

I personally didn't do this program, but I do know two people who did, neither of who got into medical school the first year after doing the program (both told me they did well in the program and on their MCAT, but who really knows). In addition, I work with a former teacher who was on the board of admissions who strongly recommend people stay away from this program, as I guess the leadership recently changed or something. This isn't to stay it isn't a good program, as this is all information I have heard from others, but figured I'd add my 2 cents.

For those in the SMP program now, or recent alum: Is it known when Georgetown SOM sends IIs to SMP students. Additionally, how significantly is their SMP GPA considered? Is there a cutoff GPA for receiving an II/acceptance?

I personally didn't do this program, but I do know two people who did, neither of who got into medical school the first year after doing the program (both told me they did well in the program and on their MCAT, but who really knows). In addition, I work with a former teacher who was on the board of admissions who strongly recommend people stay away from this program, as I guess the leadership recently changed or something. This isn't to stay it isn't a good program, as this is all information I have heard from others, but figured I'd add my 2 cents.
As a former GU SMP graduate and now GU M4, this information is terrible. Not sure where this guy applied but everyone I talked to knew what an SMP is. Even my residency interviewers knew what an SMP was, and one of them was a former SMP himself.

Leadership has not changed in the last 5+ years, and almost all of the professors are the same.

You can get great grades in the SMP but not get an interview; the faculty pay a lot of attention to people's behavior and attitudes. If they don't think you'll be a fit at Georgetown, they will communicate that to the medical school.

As a former GU SMP graduate and now GU M4, this information is terrible. Not sure where this guy applied but everyone I talked to knew what an SMP is. Even my residency interviewers knew what an SMP was, and one of them was a former SMP himself.

Leadership has not changed in the last 5+ years, and almost all of the professors are the same.

You can get great grades in the SMP but not get an interview; the faculty pay a lot of attention to people's behavior and attitudes. If they don't think you'll be a fit at Georgetown, they will communicate that to the medical school.
The last point is a good point! The people I know who didn't get in didn't give any reasons why they didn't get in anywhere, so the reasons for they didn't get in anywhere the first year after doing the program is probably a bigger reflection on them than anything. Also, this is all anecdotal, and of course, there are plenty of people who do the program who do very well :)

As for what I was told from a former teacher, I'm honestly not sure what time point he was referring to, so unfortunately I can't speak on that. Also, since that was just the opinion of one former professor, they may have had a bad experience that soured their taste for the program. Regardless, I am happy that you had a good experience in the SMP and are now a M4. Congrats, and best of luck to you in the future!

@DocJanItor Thanks for the insight. I just applied to the SMP and am wondering if any SMP students who applied the summer prior to starting (rather than after completing) received interviews from GU. Pretty much do you have to be in your gap year having already completed the program for GU to give you an interview, or will they see the first portion of your SMP grades if you applied in the summer and interview you.

@DocJanItor Thanks for the insight. I just applied to the SMP and am wondering if any SMP students who applied the summer prior to starting (rather than after completing) received interviews from GU. Pretty much do you have to be in your gap year having already completed the program for GU to give you an interview, or will they see the first portion of your SMP grades if you applied in the summer and interview you.
Nope, I went straight through. You apply in the normal cycle and they will send interviews out in March after you get done with most of your core medical school classes. You interview in April and admissions roll from late April to about June, but there have been rare instances of people being admitted up to the beginning of m1.

Nope, I went straight through. You apply in the normal cycle and they will send interviews out in March after you get done with most of your core medical school classes. You interview in April and admissions roll from late April to about June, but there have been rare instances of people being admitted up to the beginning of m1.
Thanks for the reply. Seems like most other SMP programs want you to wait until the following cycle... GU interviewing the same year as completing the SMP is a huge plus

Yup, and you don't have to repeat those class at Georgetown. Plus a tuition discount your first year.

• Love
I have a quick question. So if you successfully matriculate into MS1 at GUSOM after Georgetown SMP, how does your schedule look like? Since you do not need to repeat the courses you have taken in the previous year, I’m wondering what other courses are needed to be taken in MS1 after SMP.
I think this document uploaded to this forum a couple years ago may help answer a lot of your guys questions.

Attachments

• SDN SMP Rating.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 306
I'm an alumni of the Georgetown SMP and have had a completely different experience. All of the schools I've applied to and interviewed at have been very familiar with what an SMP is, specifically recognizing the Georgetown SMP for it academic rigor and history of success compared to other SMP programs. There are definitely some schools that are more SMP-friendly than others, but overall most schools recognize what the program proves about you as an applicant. Georgetown does a really good job of sending materials out to these schools that explicitly states what the program does (ex. the LOR describes the rigor of the program and how the grading structure works, comparing you directly to the GUSOM M1 students.)
I agree that its pricey, but any good Master's program is, and I believe it was well worth the cost. The soft skills it gives you are important to emphasize as well-- I greatly improved my study and test-taking skills, built strong relationships with professors and advisors, and proved to medical schools (and more importantly, myself) that I am able to handle the academic rigor of medical school. It was a really important building block year for me, and so much more than just a way to boost my sGPA for applications.
In terms of the GUSOM interview, they review their applicants holistically. They are definitely looking for a really specific type of candidate-- it doesn't matter if you got a 3.6+ GPA and 515+ MCAT if you don't have service to the underserved or research. While a large proportion of the SMP class is accepted to GUSOM, there are plenty of other amazing medical schools that SMPs are accepted at, and I think it is important to keep that in mind.

May I know which schools you applied to that were very familiar with the SMP? (I'm also an alum applying in the 2022 cycle as a 1st time applicant.)
The list that they provided us with have all been familiar with the SMP. I got a few interview invitations from schools on that list and didn't have to explain what the SMP was to a single admissions officer or interviewer.