Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhenderson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Georgetown University
3900 Reservoir Road, N.W.
Washington D.C. 20007

Admissions: (202) 687-1154 http://www.dml.georgetown.edu/schmed/

Deadline: 11/01
Tuition: around $26,000
Number of Students: about 800

Average MCAT: 10.5

Please post any experiences you have with this school.

This is part of the big guide at http://www.studentdoctor.net

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown is a school in disarray. At my interview, the admissions and financial aid staff and the students were very concerned about the school's future. If you've done your research on Georgetown, you know that they're in a state of financial turmoil. They recently merged with a non-profit healthcare organization in DC and are HOPING that their problems will be assuaged.

This school, like GW, has an enormous price tag...and I don't see any real advantage of coming here over GW except for the name (Georgetown of course is known for its superior law school) and religious emphasis. The students made sure that I understood the value of that name...but you can definitely find better schools with better names. Georgetown also has an interesting way of incorporating religion and social/behavioral sciences into the medical curriculum -- they pride themselves on the ability of their students to take religious histories along with medical ones.

You'll get a sense of the overflowing "piety" when you hear Ms. Sullivan's talk during your interview. She's really into the Georgetown "philosophy"...listen to this woman: you'll get a better sense of whether or not Georgetown is right for you.

It's a large class size...I'm not sure about the grading system. The facilities are old and unimpressive...and the hospital had some sort of lawsuit against it a couple of weeks ago... You should definitely find out all you can about Georgetown before you apply there...it seems like the place is prone to scandal.

AAATCHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO00
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN '04