Georgetown University School of Medicine C/O 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChristianTroy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread up for all of those accepted to G-Town.

Members don't see this ad.

I am glad someone finally made this thread. I have no idea where to even start in looking for housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've talked to a few med students... i hear it's best to find a townhouse with like 5/6 bedrooms to get cheaper rent... so of course i'm on the lookout for roommates... private message me and let me know what you're looking for in a roomie?

Sooo... I think in the other thread someone said that we should be getting FA letters this week? Can anyone else verify this? I am sure i will not be getting any money anyway.

As for housing... I am 85% sure i am coming to Gtown and would like to find potential roommate (guy or girl... dont really care).... PM me if you are interested.

hey everybody!!! I just got back from visiting gtown again this weekend... sooooo awesome. I'm 100% sold on the school, and declining all my other acceptances. I got an email today with the first housing lists, some 2 bedrooms and then a bunch of 4-6 ones. I definitely want to live close to campus, and probably in one of those 4-6 person townhouses with other first years (girls & guys). Send me a message if you're interested in lookin for roommates!

Did anyone get financial aid info yet? This is crazy..they were sure to take my hundred bucks quite promptly..

Did anyone get financial aid info yet? This is crazy..they were sure to take my hundred bucks quite promptly..

All financial aid awards were sent out on Monday. Everyone who had their paperwork in should get them by the end of the week.

Can any current first years please give their impressions of the new curriculum and also their overall impressions of G-Town after being there for almost a year?

Also, if possible, can you give us some pointers on the best books to buy for classes, etc.

Thanks so much.

I was looking at the match list for the '09 graduates and was amazed at how national the match was this year. Thought you guys might like to see the results. 32 states were represented in the match.

AL
AZ x 2
CA x 22
CO x 3
CT x 2
DC x 38
DE x 1
FL x 2
GA x 4
HI x 1
IL x 13
IN x 2
KY x 1
LA x 2
MA x 6
MD x 12
ME X 1
MI x 2
MN x 2
MO x 1
NC x 3
NH x 1
NJ x 2
NY x 24
OH x 2
OR x 1
PA x 10
TX x 10
UT x 4
VA x 4
WA x 2
WI x 2

Last edited:
Can any current first years please give their impressions of the new curriculum and also their overall impressions of G-Town after being there for almost a year?

Also, if possible, can you give us some pointers on the best books to buy for classes, etc.

Thanks so much.

Hey!

I'm not currently a 1st year, but I am just finishing up the SMP program here, which as you probably know take all all the same classes.

Overall, I liked the new curriculum, but it definitely had some kinks to work out. For example: They split the embryology curriculum up into bits and pieces to fit with the different modules, which seems like it would make sense. Except the modules weren't in the order that things developed. It was extremely difficult to learn embryology out of order. In my course eval I suggested that they change that so hopefully they will! Another example: In the Sexual Development and Reproduction (SDR) module, we were assigned to groups of four and then asked to write a review article. 12 pages long. Not a terrible idea, BUT they were then peer graded. So another group of four would grade the essay. This led to a LOT of people really ticked off. Essentially you could do really well on both exams but then get a lower grade because hypercritical classmates marked you down, blah!

There are some other gripes I have, but over all having the related classes grouped together has been good for learning.

In terms of books: Definitely don't buy anything before you get here. You will not need to buy a single text book if you don't want to. I read some in the Guyton Physio book, and a little bit in the Biochcem one, but could have easily not. All the info you need will be in the syllabus and the MNTS notes. I would suggest purchasing a few BRS books, as they are good to review before the test. THey have up to 30 questions at the end of each section which are helpful.

You will definitely want to purchase an Anatomy atlas as well. The program suggests, and uses, Grey's. Personally I think Grey's is terrible, so I would suggest Netter, but ultimately it is a preference thing.

If you guys have any other questions, if I know, I'd be happy to answer! Also I've been writing about my experience in the program on my blog (in my signature) so feel free to check it out. A lot of the posts apply to the medical school classes. Feel free to ask any other questions!

Thanks so much.

Hey,

Congrats on being accepted to Georgetown! I'm a first year here so I thought i could expand on what DrJD said. I REALLY like the new science curriculum - it makes a lot more sense to learn the physiology with the anatomy and microanatomy. And now that we've been through the system once a lot of the kinks have been worked out for next years class. A lot of schools have or are currently changing to a more systems based module, largely because it simply makes more sense to the students so we retain it longer.

According to the adminstration the mean class grades on our exams have been significantly better than previous classes. It has been argued that this is because we have tests fairly regularly (every 2-4 wks) and therefore it's all in our short term memory. While that may be part of it, with a test every few weeks no one has a chance to fall behind on the material. Either way I think learning the material in a systems based system is more logical and therefore requires less mindless memorization.

I don't know if you've been told but the non-science curriculum (ethics, evidence based medicine, etc.) has been revamped for next year as well and it looks like it should be awesome.

In regards to Gtown med as a whole I'm very pleased with my choice. The students are fabulous people, the school has a lot of resources and the city is simply amazing. There have been quite a few small hickups this year simply because we are the first class to try the new curriculum but for the most part the adminstration has been helping to get these things straightened out. While the entire class is pretty burnt out right now, I feel like the only people who are truly unhappy at Gtown are the few people who discovered this year that they might not actually want to be doctors.

I could probably write forever about the pros and cons of Gtown but i'd rather use my time to study neuro so if you want to ask more specific questions about your concerns (e.g., class hours, anatomy lab, living expenses, research opportunities, patient contact, etc.) I'll get back to you.

As for books, I agree with DrJD, you really don't need to buy them in advance and you SHOULDN"T spend any time this summer studying. They ease you in pretty well and you want your brain fresh and alert from a great summer holiday full of travel or something fun. [Note: it's also pointless to try to make a lot of money since you're going to be 100-200k in the hole by the end of this and you may as well enjoy your last summer of freedom]. Regardless there are some books that I found invaluble during the year that you might consider buying if you see them second hand really cheap or you just HAVE to study because that's the type of person you are:

-Gray's anatomy for students (it was really interesting reading that hit all the important things but I hear a lot of good things about Netter as well - especially for GI)

-The Developing Human: Clinicall oriented embryology (the most amazing book ever - a great overview and the only thing that might be worth some summer studying if you've never done embryo before)

-Vander's Renal Physiology (this book will save your ass when you get to renal second semester)

-Rapid Interpretation of EKGs by Dale Dubin (yeah this book looks silly but it walks you through EKGs in a slow, friendly, and fun way)

-The Color Atlas of Anatomy: A photographic study of the human body (a lot of us didn't discover this book until half way through gross anatomy but it was still worth the 70 bucks.)

-For physiology I had two books, one for the basic overview (Physiology by Costanzo) and one for the nitty gritty details (Guyton and Hall's Textbook Medical Physiology - or the big heavy red book).

-There is also a required histology book but i never bought it and never found a need because the lecture notes are so complete and there is a georgetown database of histology pictures online that they usually take the test slides from.

-I personally don't study from BRS or high yeild books normally but i know alot people who do and enjoy them.

Anyways, as i said there is no need to study over the summer but if you're going to anyways you might as well buy the right books - i hope this list helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about life a Gtown or places to live. The list that Gtown sends out every two weeks is a phenomenal place to look - that's where I got my apartment and it's a steal :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we will be getting our online access stuff? I havent heard anything from the school since my acceptance and was just wondering.

Also, is anyone else having trouble getting the credit report thing to work?

hey guys, I was just wondering where we do most of our 3rd year rotations? Are they mostly at Georgetown or can we go to other area hospitals?

See you in August!

Anyone know where to find the schedule for August? (i.e. dates for orientation, first day of class and white coat ceremony specifically?)

Thanks! Can't wait to see you all in August! :)

Thanks Ismile for your info! When did you sign your lease for your apartment? Would it be crazy to move in August 1st when orientation starts August 4th (i think?) ?

Hi to everyone else! I'm also looking for roommates for next year. I just signed up for the gtown med student housing email list but haven't recieved one yet. I would love to share a house with a few other med students so send me a message if you are interested. I'll be back in DC in early July so I can go check stuff out if needed.

Hey GolfM.... I called the school the other day to ask when we would get our netID and password ect. They said they will be mailing out another packet to us all in early June (so now-ish) with all that info.

Hey GolfM.... I called the school the other day to ask when we would get our netID and password ect. They said they will be mailing out another packet to us all in early June (so now-ish) with all that info.

Hey! Thanks, i was just being to lazy to call. Hopefully we will get it soon.

Hey, does anyone know if there a facebook page for GUSOM 2013 yet??

Yep, it' called Georgetown School of Medicine C/O 2003

Hi, I am also going to be a first year student this year. Just wanted to post a housing availability

I currently have a 2bedroom 2bathroom apartment in Glover Park, about 10-15 minutes walking distance from campus and 3- 5minutes drive. It is a huge 2 bedroom 2bath (1100 square ft), but you would be sharing the apartment with 3 people. It is located on the 7th floor in a building owned by Archestone apartments.
http://www.archstoneapartments.com/Search_Results.htm?state=DC&market=76
I am looking for someone chill and neat. The rent includes all utilities, and the building has laundary room services, fitness center and a business center. Your room is partially furnished too. Parking is available for an extra $135 per month.
Please message me if you are interested or have more questions. The apartment is available August 8th.

Hey guys,

I just received my award letter for Gtown, and I have a few quick questions. It lists the Fed Direct Grad PLUS loan, which I am assuming is what I am borrowing through my lender. And then it lists "Fed Direct Loan - Med" twice. Does anyone know what this is? How do I know whether it's subsidized or unsubsidized? They never listed Institutional Aid either, so am I even really getting any aid? I am extremely confused!

Thanks in advance! =)

funfetti: I would recommend calling the financial aid office with any and all questions. They are usually very helpful. It sounds like your two fed direct loans are the sub. and the unsub. loans, the sub. one is going to be substantially smaller than your unsub. one but it should say on the sheet of paper. Either way call or email the financial aid office or David Pollock.

colina: I'm living in a basement apartment without a lease (yes, very legit), but i think signing the lease the week of orientation sounds a little stressful. A lot of first years end up living with upper level students who already signed the lease which makes things a bit easier. I hope it works out!

Thought this might be of interest to you guys. It's the class of 2013 academic calendar with all the class times listed. Don't freak out about all the class time! A lot of the spots are small group sessions of which there are multiple groups (so you would only be responsible for one of the small group session time slots). Just advance through the weeks or months if my link takes you to the middle of the summer. Looks like you guys start Gross with the Limbs portion! :eek: Fun times are ahead I can assure you... You guys also finish a week or so earlier than we did. Not fair.

https://calendar.georgetown.edu/ocas-bin/ocas.fcgi?sub=web&web=gbl&view=week&date=2009/8/3&viw=%9a%9d%9d%e8%eb%ed%ee&server=&xen=%ee%eb%ed%f5%e8%ec%e9%ed

Georgetown Medical Students seek two male, non-smoking tenants to share townhouse located 5 minutes walking distance from the Georgetown University Medical Campus. The two tenants will share a double bedroom which also contains a private bathroom and two closets. Rent is $900.00 per person plus a portion of the electric which is approximately $30.00 during the spring/summer months and $20.00 during the fall/winter months. Tenants have access to washer & dryer, living room, dining room, and a full kitchen with a double oven, stove top range, plenty of cabinet space and dish washer. Water, Gas and Cable Utilities are included in the rent. Tenants arrange for internet access on their own. Only "on street parking" is available at this time.

Contact the Property Manager to receive an application and photos: [email protected]

Does anyone know if the classes are recorded on streaming video for students to watch on their own time online? Or are classes only live--- thus making class mandatory?

Does anyone know if the classes are recorded on streaming video for students to watch on their own time online? Or are classes only live--- thus making class mandatory?

As of last year, all classes (except for gross anatomy lab sessions and small group sessions) are audio recorded. This means that roughly 90% of "stuff" you do your first year is recorded and uploaded the same day online. I believe they have installed video recording equipment, but I think the professors have been up in the air about having their lectures video recorded. So, there likely will only be audio recordings your first year. One can hope for video recordings in another year!