Georgetown SMP Class of 2006!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bayna5

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if there's already a similar post out there, but I just found out yesterday that I was accepted into the GT SMP program this fall. I’m really excited and I just wanted to start a thread so other people that will be attending in August could talk about housing, how to prepare, basically anything.

thanks!!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

bayna5 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if there's already a similar post out there, but I just found out yesterday that I was accepted into the GT SMP program this fall. I’m really excited and I just wanted to start a thread so other people that will be attending in August could talk about housing, how to prepare, basically anything.

thanks!!! :cool:

Yeah, there are a few ... but nothing too together

i'd be interested on putting people on my AIM or MSN Messenger lists. it will help to get it started now rather than later!

aim --> jkherson
msn messenger --> [email protected]

-jonathan

i think it's a great idea.

AIM - yellowhibiscus5

-dayna

Members don't see this ad :)
yo guys,

welcome - this year will fly by, but i think you guys will have a lot of fun and learn a ton. you'll have a good deal of support from your your big sibs (ex-physios - hopefully some of us who post on here!) during the year. but, if you need to know anything about the start of the program, dc, etc, feel free to pm/ask. good luck.

Hey guys,

I too am looking for housing. I live in Colorado, so am thinking of flying down to DC in the next month or so to look for housing. I would love to share a house or apartment with someone (F, 25). Thanks.

AIM-Genius4680

Hey all,
I'm looking forward to starting the program this fall after a year out of school. I'll add my AIM screenname too.
sevennever
If you see me online, give me a shout.

the negative 1 said:
Hey all,
I'm looking forward to starting the program this fall after a year out of school. I'll add my AIM screenname too.
sevennever
If you see me online, give me a shout.

Hey guys, i'm going to be applying to the smp program next year (i.e. class of 2010), and was wondering when all you guys applied for the program, and if you don't mind, what you're overall gpa, scicnec gpa, and mcat scores were. That would be extremely helpful. Thanks a lot!!!

docmd2010 said:
Hey guys, i'm going to be applying to the smp program next year (i.e. class of 2010), and was wondering when all you guys applied for the program, and if you don't mind, what you're overall gpa, scicnec gpa, and mcat scores were. That would be extremely helpful. Thanks a lot!!!

Applying next year would make you part of the SMP class of 2007. :)

I am a current physio (ie. class of 2008 by your standards :) ) and here are my stats when I was accepted into the SMP:

Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 33Q (8 VR, 14 PS, Q WS, 11 BS)

Sorry if I sounded like I was picking on you...I've been studying all day and the "class of 2010" gave me a good laugh. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.

You guys are going to be starting up in Fall of 2006? Isn't the current application phase (January 05 - June 05) for people who want to marticulate Fall of 2005?

jscarpachio said:
You guys are going to be starting up in Fall of 2006? Isn't the current application phase (January 05 - June 05) for people who want to marticulate Fall of 2005?

well, most masters programs at georgetown are 2 years long, so if you matriculate at georgetown smp beginning in august 2005, you'll be finished with the program in july 2006 and will be able to matriculate at a medical school immediately after (for medical schools' classes of 2010). so, you'll be finished with smp in 2006, but you'll be a member of the class of 2007. not really important at all - just a weird technicality. i think that's what premed meant (?).

jscarpachio said:

It goes by what year you graduate the SMP. Like in high school, I was the class of 1999 because I graduated in June 1999. Another example, Medstylee and I are current Physios. We started the program in August 2004, but we are considered the SMP class of 2005 because we are finishing this June (2005). I guess I'm the only one who found the previous post funny. I need a break... :oops:

gujuDoc said:
I think when a person mentions Class of 2010, they are mentioning it in terms of when they will graduate from med school, not start med school. So that would be the same thing as Class of 2007, if you are talking about it in terms of start year and not end year.

If someone applies to the SMP next year, he/she will start the SMP in Fall 2006, graduate in Spring 2007, and hoping he/she kicks butt and is accepted to medical school, will begin medical school Fall 2007, which will lead to graduation in Spring 2011. The SMP is a 1 year program and medical school is 4 years (unless you do a dual degree or special track program). Doing the SMP will not cut 1 year off at any medical school. Again, just technicalities... ;)

jscarpachio said:

Yes, you are correct. The current application that ends on June 1, 2005 is to begin the SMP in August 2005.

Members don't see this ad :)
jkherson said:
Someone found a house for us SMP-ers to live in.

Anyone interested, email me: [email protected]

here is the place:
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~arakasi/39th/

looking for at least 4 more i think ???

-Jonathan

hey good luck yall. i was smp2003, and it was an extremely worthwhile program, i didn't get in until this year but the experience there was vital!!!

some advice if i may;

-if you have a good mcat and bad gpa the program is for you, if you have a good gpa but bad mcat you don't need the program! just study for the mcat and get some worthhile research done!(i was suprised to see some of these in my year)
-push the administrators to really get a good neuro prep prepared(ours was worthless).
-take the neuro prep seriously, the first years REALLY have an advantage over you all because they will have had the anatomy and you will have not
-don't get too caught up in the gossip
-its really tough but stay on top of classes and apps, its really a juggling act

AOne said:

this is really good advice!

also, about that house you guys found, i'd recommend that someone actually goes and looks at it in person before you sign the lease. a lot of places in dc turn out to be real holes. it looks like a good place though and that's not too far from campus. good luck.

AOne said:
hey good luck yall. i was smp2003, and it was an extremely worthwhile program, i didn't get in until this year but the experience there was vital!!!

some advice if i may;

-if you have a good mcat and bad gpa the program is for you, if you have a good gpa but bad mcat you don't need the program! just study for the mcat and get some worthhile research done!(i was suprised to see some of these in my year)
-push the administrators to really get a good neuro prep prepared(ours was worthless).
-take the neuro prep seriously, the first years REALLY have an advantage over you all because they will have had the anatomy and you will have not
-its really tough but stay on top of classes and apps, its really a juggling act

Some really good advice about the GPA/MCAT scores. I completely agree with you. You didn't like Neuro EC? Azzam was awesome!

I just got in yesterday. Does anyone know around how much money we can expect to receive through student loans, both federal and private? I am trying to figure out what would be a realistic amount of money to spend on rent, etc.

premed said:
Some really good advice about the GPA/MCAT scores. I completely agree with you. You didn't like Neuro EC? Azzam was awesome!

In '03 they had a very limited Neuro prep if any. I don't think '04's was even as comprehensive as ours.

Anyways, for the '06ers I would recommend that you get cracking on your AMCAS right now...even if you're taking the August MCAT. Do not put this off by any means. Just mention the SMP as one of your activities, or in your essay. And list the courses (you prolly got this in the admissions packet) as future courses.

Also, for the CA kids, unless you think you have a shot of getting into the UCs w/o the program (and if you do, why are you coming here?) you might as well tell em you're gonna be here. There's been debate on this in the past, but just tell all your schools you're here, it just makes things easier.

pm me if you guys have any questions

MustaphaMond said:
I just got in yesterday. Does anyone know around how much money we can expect to receive through student loans, both federal and private? I am trying to figure out what would be a realistic amount of money to spend on rent, etc.

Got my financial aid info about a week ago. I received $18.5K in Federal Loans (Stafford), and $5K in work/study programs (ironic, since we are not allowed to work :) ). I was quickly (same day) approved for a private loan for the balance of the amount I needed, based on G-town's expectation of how much I will spend. Here is the breakdown they gave me:

Item Cost/Yr.
Tuition $29,448
Athletics Fee $268
Loan Fees $554
Health Insurance $1770
Avg. Room and Board $12,750
Avg. Books $1060
Avg. Personal Exp. $3630
Avg. Travel $1200

Total $50,680

Hope this helps.

when did all of u guys apply? i applied the first week in march and the lady told me i was practically a shoe-in, but i still havent heard...

redsoxfan said:
when did all of u guys apply? i applied the first week in march and the lady told me i was practically a shoe-in, but i still havent heard...

I applied very early in the process... I'm pretty sure I beat the rush. I was, I think early January.

redsoxfan said:

I applied early march and i was accepted yesterday over email...check your junk mail boxes too. That is where I found my acceptance. Goodluck.

redsoxfan said:

You may be a shoe-in if you applied earlier. If you sent out your complete application in March and haven't heard back, I would call Ms. Cabiness. They mixed up my application with someone else's last year and I didn't hear back until I called them to sort out the problem. Good luck!

premed said:

Azzam IS most definitely AWESOME!! he was the light of the neuro lab!!

I'm glad to hear from batchild39 that the smp has improved with the neuro prep..

but for the CA 2006ers, I'm sorry to say that I doubt that the UC's will strongly consider the "preliminary" scores. At least for our year there was only one guy who i heard of who got into a UC(Davis), and that was 1st semester, so he probably didn't even need the SMP. But nevertheles, I agree with batchild39 sending the info won't hurt.

btw Ms. Cabines is awesome, a lot of spunk, but well intended :thumbup:

howdy all

Just found out yesterday I got admitted into the program. I'm pumped. Im still waiting on a decision from EVMS and RFU and if they both fall through its going to be a tough deicision.

Tooth

AOne said:
Azzam IS most definitely AWESOME!! he was the light of the neuro lab!!

I'm glad to hear from batchild39 that the smp has improved with the neuro prep..

but for the CA 2006ers, I'm sorry to say that I doubt that the UC's will strongly consider the "preliminary" scores. At least for our year there was only one guy who i heard of who got into a UC(Davis), and that was 1st semester, so he probably didn't even need the SMP. But nevertheles, I agree with batchild39 sending the info won't hurt.

btw Ms. Cabines is awesome, a lot of spunk, but well intended :thumbup:

You must be SMP04. I think it's still worth applying to the UC schools. I know of quite a few who received UC interviews this year although I have only heard of 1 being accepted.

i am so bummed. i called ms. cabiness earlier in the week and she told me that i was on the wait list... she added that i shouldnt expect to hear until LATE JUNE and if i have other plans, to keep them. i dont know what to do b/c i was sort of counting on getting in (based primarily on ms cabiness' words that there should be no reason for me not to get in). anyhow, right now i am waitlisted at 1 med school that begins late aug and accepted to RFU's AP program, which begins in July. now that g-town doesnt seem to be an option, it complicates everything. this whole waiting thing is making me insane...

in the other threads, ucla's own postbac has some sort linkage within itself, so i don't think the UCs look down on postbac or don't bother giving them a chance..

mR LaZy said:
in the other threads, ucla's own postbac has some sort linkage within itself, so i don't think the UCs look down on postbac or don't bother giving them a chance..

The UC post-bacs are great! However, most will not consider you if you aren't a URM. They are particularly keen on blacks and latinos, however I know of a chinese guy who got into UC Davis' post-bac program.

redsoxfan said:
i am so bummed. i called ms. cabiness earlier in the week and she told me that i was on the wait list... i dont know what to do b/c i was sort of counting on getting in (based primarily on ms cabiness' words that there should be no reason for me not to get in). anyhow, right now i am waitlisted at 1 med school that begins late aug and accepted to RFU's AP program, which begins in July. now that g-town doesnt seem to be an option, it complicates everything. this whole waiting thing is making me insane...

Red Sox I think I am going to be in your exact shoes later next week. I keep calling them and they tell me the decision is going to be made the 1st week of June. Ms. Cabiness and Dr. Mulroney both really made it seem I was a shoe in but I applied almost almost 3 months ago so they're obviously taking their time. Another GU SMP staff member told me 3 weeks ago that things for me looked "very favorable" but that was 3 week ago!! Things have been made very complicated, I just applied to the Drexel IMS this week, hopefully that will work better. Luck be with you!

Does anyone know how much of the GU SMP class has been filled up to this point? Have most acceptances been given out?

AHappyCalBear said:
Does anyone know how much of the GU SMP class has been filled up to this point? Have most acceptances been given out?

I don't know for certain, but I would be surprised if they are close to done yet. Remember, the deadline for application is June 1, and they still need to give time for materials to come in after that. They are probably just holding a good number of positions to make sure they don't overlook some amazing candidate who does not get accepted to med school and applies at the last minute.

I don't specifically recall your stats, AHCB, but what I generally remember is that you seem like you would be a good fit. My impression of Ms. Cabiness and the others is that they are not given to giving false hope. If they said you have a good chance, I would trust that. They have nothing to gain by telling you that you have a good shot when you don't.

We'll see you in DC in August :)

i think the biggest prob facing us is whether we hear before the RFU program starts in july...

I just got my formal acceptance packet in the mail, but there's no information about housing in DC. I've seen the online resources but it's so expensive for studios and one-bedrooms! Do any of the current SMPers on this thread have any good advice/resources for finding housing? I'm up for finding a roommate, but does Georgetown help you out with that (ie. matching up SMPers)?
Still on the waiting lists at Drexel and RWJ...

Here are my stats for those interested:
MCAT: 33Q
GPA: 3.21
BCPM: 2.8

AIM: Mercgarage

Mercgarage said:
I just got my formal acceptance packet in the mail, but there's no information about housing in DC. I've seen the online resources but it's so expensive for studios and one-bedrooms! Do any of the current SMPers on this thread have any good advice/resources for finding housing? I'm up for finding a roommate, but does Georgetown help you out with that (ie. matching up SMPers)?

I don't know what the current SMP'ers did for their housing, but as a SMP'er in your class who has been looking for a while, the best suggestions I got was looking on Craigslist.com, and the housing site on the Georgetown grad webpage. I'm heading out there tomorrow to start looking at places to live. :scared:

imrep1972 said:
I'm heading out there tomorrow to start looking at places to live. :scared:

You're going out to DC tomorrow? Are you moving now, or just visiting to look for housing?

I'm going later this month to look at apartments. I didn't want to just blindly sign a lease without seeing the apartment first. My family is coming too; we're making a sort of vacation out of it and visiting my aunt who lives there as well. It should be fun.

Housing there is so expenisive though! A one bedroom apartment is like $1100+, and that's for one in Virginia. Add another $100-200 for DC.

Happy apartment hunting.

tacrum43 said:
You're going out to DC tomorrow? Are you moving now, or just visiting to look for housing?

I'm going later this month to look at apartments. I didn't want to just blindly sign a lease without seeing the apartment first. My family is coming too; we're making a sort of vacation out of it and visiting my aunt who lives there as well. It should be fun.

Housing there is so expenisive though! A one bedroom apartment is like $1100+, and that's for one in Virginia. Add another $100-200 for DC.

Happy apartment hunting.

Yup, just checking SMP one more time before I leave for the airport :) I am just going for a "viewing" trip, like you are talking about. I don't have a family to bring with me, but my best friend has some free time and is making the trip as well. We're gonna try and see how much trouble we can get in over the weekend. :D I am not moving until end of July/early August.

I've seen everything you are talking about regarding prices. It is utterly insane. Chances are, we are going to be considering a lot of the same places, so if you have any general questions for me about what I saw, post of PM me, and I would be happy to answer. I will be back in town and on the net on Monday.

There was a 'housing weekend' last year for all gtown grad students (not just SMPers) sometime in mid July, I think. During this time a lot of people had open houses and was a good opportunity to look at apartments. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long, though. Also, if you are renting a room in a house, most people will want to meet you beforehand.

Most people in DC live in Georgetown, Foxhall, Burleith, or Glover Park. I think average rent to expect is about $900/month if you're sharing a place, but you can find deals (I pay $550/month including utilities). Definitely check out any place before commiting, many places I checked out sounded good, but turned out to be horrendous.

jmmmmm said:
There was a 'housing weekend' last year for all gtown grad students (not just SMPers) sometime in mid July, I think. During this time a lot of people had open houses and was a good opportunity to look at apartments. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long, though. Also, if you are renting a room in a house, most people will want to meet you beforehand.

Most people in DC live in Georgetown, Foxhall, Burleith, or Glover Park. I think average rent to expect is about $900/month if you're sharing a place, but you can find deals (I pay $550/month including utilities). Definitely check out any place before commiting, many places I checked out sounded good, but turned out to be horrendous.

I have to agree. I've just started looking, but there are definitely some places that are MUCH better than others. If you can make it out to see first-hand... DO IT!!

Mercgarage said:

Acceptance "packet"? All I got was a letter saying I was accepted and a piece of paper to return with my deposit. Is that what you're referring to, or am I missing something?

tacrum43 said:
Acceptance "packet"? All I got was a letter saying I was accepted and a piece of paper to return with my deposit. Is that what you're referring to, or am I missing something?

And could you tell me how long it took you between the email notification and the snail mail? I heard a week ago last Monday, and since I'm now graduated and at home I'm waiting for that real letter. :D

And more importantly: I'm 21F and looking for a female roommate (or a guy and another girl for a 3BR) to live in a 2BR in Arlington/Crystal City/Clarendon/Rosslyn/Ballston for around 600-750/month rent each. Somewhere within about six blocks to the Metro would be nice--they're all on the blue/orange line to Rosslyn. The area's safe and has a decent nightlife, and the amenities those apartment complexes come with are amazing (all with doormen, some even with pools and/or gyms). PM me if you're looking for the same. :)

silverdime said:
And could you tell me how long it took you between the email notification and the snail mail? I heard a week ago last Monday, and since I'm now graduated and at home I'm waiting for that real letter. :D
I was accepted over six weeks ago and still have not received the snail mail acceptance letter asking for money. However, when I called Ms. Cabiness three weeks ago she told me paperwork was really backed up and things are moving very slowly. Anyone else accepted over a month ago and still not gotten a letter?

the negative 1 said:
I was accepted over six weeks ago and still have not received the snail mail acceptance letter asking for money. However, when I called Ms. Cabiness three weeks ago she told me paperwork was really backed up and things are moving very slowly. Anyone else accepted over a month ago and still not gotten a letter?

I was accepted last week and got my snail mail today. 6 weeks sounds like a long time to wait for snail mail.

Tooth

got accepted 2 days ago through email. really stoked that i wont have to live at home for another year (graduated may04). hopefully this letter will come in sometime next week.

>>
ADVICE PLEASE:
im still on the Tulane waitlist and i hear movement is nil and wont pick up til late june early july (if at all...) when do you think i should start finalizing plans for GU SMP? housing, financial aid...HOUSING...
>>

that house looks great from the pics, btw. id totally be down for the house if i dont get into tulane.

info:
b.s in civil engineering (yep, ur heard rite) @Cal
3.4, 32R, good ec's in medicine

and own about 35 rejection letters from two years worth of AMCAS apps...(if anybody can beat that, let me know)
...and starting my third iteration of Personal Stating...

hope this thread gets read.

aim: vipered 000

whats the time difference b/w when GU classes start and tulane classes start, and which starts first? Obviously you'll drop GU in a sec to fly to Louisiana if Tulane calls, but u may have to break a lease. if the start dates are close together, you could always stay in a hotel fin DC for a few days so you dont have to worry about breaking a lease.

redsoxfan said:
whats the time difference b/w when GU classes start and tulane classes start, and which starts first? Obviously you'll drop GU in a sec to fly to Louisiana if Tulane calls, but u may have to break a lease. if the start dates are close together, you could always stay in a hotel fin DC for a few days so you dont have to worry about breaking a lease.

I disagree about staying in a hotel in DC. I think you should hold off until early August to sign your lease. Then pretend as if you were rejected to Tulane. If they happen to call, you will have to break the lease...but I think it is worth it at that point.

I just got into the SMP program three days ago. Going to head to DC at the beginning of July to try and find a place... Not really sure what to expect.

AIM: Gadzoks

TiggidyTooth said:
I was accepted last week and got my snail mail today. 6 weeks sounds like a long time to wait for snail mail.

Tooth
Turns out they sent me a letter back in April but I guess it got lost amid all the madness of moving.

to anybody thats flying there soon or have already found something...

lets just rent a big ass house and stuff as many people we can in there.

glover park is closest rite? and that link in the first few posts on this thread looked pretty good. it had walls...and a roof...and stuff, what else does an smp student need?

-e-dizzle.

thought id share after spending a day researching for good prices...

just bought a notebook so for those who are looking...

DELL and costco HPs seem to have the best deals...after all those damned slickdeals.net coupons and such included...

about $1000-$1300 gets you a 5 1/2lbs 14" with some good specs. pentM 1.3-1.6, 512ddr, 60gb, dvdcdrw, wireless lan, bluetoothin sob...

thats it, im just killin time avoiding my THIRD count em THIRD AMCAS.

come oooon tulane, give me some love here.

- HeMan

p.s. to all single attractive SMPing females, yes, i'd love to be your roommate.

i cook, clean, bathe myself...it's riDIculous.