Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2016-2017 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isa41090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I didn't see an application thread for the Georgetown SMP, so I thought I would post one!

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank God! I was beginning to freak out because there wasn't one yet. @Isa41090 have you turned in your application yet?

@pollygon101 Yes I did! I am not complete yet though, I'm still waiting on my recommendations to come in! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@Isa41090 oh awesome! Yea I'm planning on hopefully turning in the majority of it by the end of the week. Did you use the AMCAS application or did you do plan B?

@pollygon101 I did Plan B -- don't have an AMCAS application! I was super confused about where to upload it though because there was no "additional document" space on the application, but I emailed them and they told me to upload it into the AMCAS section.

Awesome! I'd been looking for this thread. :) Has anyone else actually received a "complete" email yet? I got something saying my app is complete, but nothing about under review.

Currently in the SMP, let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
@Schwann Lake I definitely have questions, if you've got time to answer :) Would you mind sharing your approximate stats, when you submitted, and how long it took you to hear back? Also, if you needed finaid, was it possible to have federal loans rather than just private? And finally, how much work would you say you and your classmates are putting in so far? Is it possible to hold down a job and do this?

Thanks!!

@Schwann Lake I definitely have questions, if you've got time to answer :) Would you mind sharing your approximate stats, when you submitted, and how long it took you to hear back? Also, if you needed finaid, was it possible to have federal loans rather than just private? And finally, how much work would you say you and your classmates are putting in so far? Is it possible to hold down a job and do this?

Thanks!!

My stats when applying were 3.4 sGPA, 29 MCAT
I was complete on 3/20 and received a decision on 3/30. I was waitlisted and then got in mid-July. I have since retaken the MCAT and got a 515 (33-34). Both federal and private loans are options for aid, although I'm not too sure about the details on those.
We just finished our first med block, and I have to say it was very tough. For the medical school classes, I would say I put in at least 3-4 hours a day just studying and reviewing. The grad black is a little bit less stressful as there isn't as high a volume of material, but I still spend a portion of the day doing class work. I would absolutely not get a job during this program - your one focus should be to kick butt in this program and show medical schools your capability to handle medical school courses. The main campus schedule also tends to be a little unpredictable or inconsistent, so there's really know set schedule every week. The downtown schedule is definitely more structured, and you might be able to hold down a job? But I'm not sure. I believe @benjaminl1nus is in the DT campus and might be able to speak to that. There is an option to write for the medical note taking service for the graduate block, and you get a certain amount of money per lecture you write for. A lot of people do this though, so it would probably be a once a week (or less) kind of gig.

I hope that helps!

That's awesome!! Thank you. I just submitted a few days ago, but haven't received any notification about my app being under review.

Reactions: 1 user
My stats when applying were 3.4 sGPA, 29 MCAT
I was complete on 3/20 and received a decision on 3/30. I was waitlisted and then got in mid-July. I have since retaken the MCAT and got a 515 (33-34). Both federal and private loans are options for aid, although I'm not too sure about the details on those.
We just finished our first med block, and I have to say it was very tough. For the medical school classes, I would say I put in at least 3-4 hours a day just studying and reviewing. The grad black is a little bit less stressful as there isn't as high a volume of material, but I still spend a portion of the day doing class work. I would absolutely not get a job during this program - your one focus should be to kick butt in this program and show medical schools your capability to handle medical school courses. The main campus schedule also tends to be a little unpredictable or inconsistent, so there's really know set schedule every week. The downtown schedule is definitely more structured, and you might be able to hold down a job? But I'm not sure. I believe @benjaminl1nus is in the DT campus and might be able to speak to that. There is an option to write for the medical note taking service for the graduate block, and you get a certain amount of money per lecture you write for. A lot of people do this though, so it would probably be a once a week (or less) kind of gig.

I hope that helps!
Yeah that med block was ridiculously hard. 3-4 hrs/day?! You must have a high capacity to learn, lol. I did somewhere along the lines of 6-8 hrs/day.

I'm in the DT campus and it's the same as the main campus - DON'T GET A JOB.

Good to know! I know I haven't even heard anything yet, but knowing how expensive the DC area is, I was wondering how people were making it work.

Yeah that med block was ridiculously hard. 3-4 hrs/day?! You must have a high capacity to learn, lol. I did somewhere along the lines of 6-8 hrs/day.

I'm in the DT campus and it's the same as the main campus - DON'T GET A JOB.
Lol 3-4 hours a day of useful studying. Definitely doesn't include passively staring at info and hoping it got absorbed

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying once I get my letters of rec in from professors this semester and after I revise my personal statement. I did not apply to medical school this cycle, I will next cycle obviously, but I am filling out AMCAS anyway and using that to send to the SMP app so I can learn the AMCAS system and put all my information in without actually sending it off for verification.

Edit: my stats are 3.3 gpa 512 MCAT

@Schwann Lake that makes sense! So how is the living in d.c. I know this may be early but was it hard to find an apartment/roommates? I think some one else asked this but do student loans most get cover living needs?
Also this may be a stupid question but can we use our personal statement for the academic statement of purpose?

Last edited:
I plan on submitting after grades post this semester. I'll have all my letters, PS, and work/activities updated by then with more hours, etc. Hopefully I hear back sometime in January

Submitted back at the beginning of the month @LFOGOOTW but I haven't heard anything yet. It's kind of making me worried, but I guess it's possible that they're waiting for fall grades.:)

Is complete and processing two different things? I was complete this morning!

That's my question too! On the FAQ page it tells me we will receive an email from them when our app is being reviewed... And I haven't received anything like that for the past month.

So I just got an email saying that my application is under review and to expect a decision 3-4 weeks from now! I was complete two days ago.

Me as well. I'm glad that they've actually marked everything as complete, but now I'm wishing I'd waited to submit until my fall grades were back

How early do they review the applications and give out decisions/acceptances? I know it's rolling so I should be applying as early as possible. I am in the process of applying to a couple other SMP's and this is most likely my top choice.
My main concern though is if my stats are up to par, or if I need a post-bacc first.
Stats for MD are:
~3.3 (low end) GPA and sGPA. MCAT: 519, but considering retaking due to equivalent of a 8 P/S score.
Decent amount of research, nothing special though, 1 summer SURF program, 2 years undergrad research, a bunch of poster presentations, 2 pending pubs as 3rd author at medium impacts. 2 years ED scribe. The usual clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Took me 5 years to graduate since I was unsure of my career path at the beginning.
Other somewhat-relevant info: CC transfer to a small private university (not in top 100), FL resident, SES disadvantaged, asian ("URM asian"), was a state record holder in a sanctioned competition (organization is an affiliate of a sport in the World Games) and some other stuff.
DO GPA is a bit higher, high end of 3.4 and low end of 3.5 sGPA. Also a 24 y.o. non-trad from CC to Uni (took most pre-reqs and upper levels at the Uni)
So I have ~130 credits from undergrad and I'm not sure whether doing a post-bacc would help or going straight to an SMP. I feel like the most I can get it up to is a high 3.3, maybe 3.4, but still puts me in the low end for MD.
I do feel I am a good candidate for an SMP. However, my last year I had a pretty big dip in my GPA, going from a 3.95 my junior year w/ 34 credits to a less than 3.0 senior year w/ 18 credits (damn physics and biochem + relationship problems). I've been out of school for 2 years, but took 2 courses in both my gap year winter semesters to try and increase my GPA while working as a ED scribe. Only bumped it up a tiny bit. I understand the SMP's workload is ridiculously intensive, so I'm wondering how admissions will see this drop in GPA. I have been working full-time as scribe and doing some hospital shadowing for more experience and also to show my commitment to these programs and med school in general.
So anyways, was wondering if any of you current SMP'ers or SDN'er in general can help me out with this and give me some feedback on the best course of action to take.

I don't feel at all qualified to give anybody else advice on what to do, so perhaps you can try posting in the WAMC threads instead? Personally, I feel like if I had your stats, I would've just given it a chance, bought the MSAR, downloaded the DO equivalent, and applied to MD/DO schools that fell within my stats range. That's just me though! Good luck

Submitted my application recently and am waiting for my LOR to arrive at Georgetown. Sounds like they estimate that it'll take 3-4 weeks for them to make a decision once the application is marked complete? I was really impressed by the SMP program and would be really happy to go here.

I don't feel at all qualified to give anybody else advice on what to do, so perhaps you can try posting in the WAMC threads instead? Personally, I feel like if I had your stats, I would've just given it a chance, bought the MSAR, downloaded the DO equivalent, and applied to MD/DO schools that fell within my stats range. That's just me though! Good luck
Thanks for the response!
I thought I wold be better served at at SMP thread and I haven't seen many post about their stats for "SMP competitiveness" so I posted it here!
Anyways, still wondering if I am competitive enough if I apply, and send in my application this early. I was also thinking about re-taking Biochemistry (got a C+ in that class) at my local state university and a couple other higher-levels in the spring term to show I'm dedicated to schoolwork. Would that be a good idea? I'm actually 50/50 on applying to med school for the next cycle, since I am not in any rush to get into med school (even though I'm 24). If I do get accepted to the GT SMP, I will probably just apply to that school since they apparently keep the SMP applicants in a different pile from the other applicants. I just feel, contingent upon my success in the program, that I will be a much better applicant to a larger majority of schools if I apply after I get all of the SMP grades. At least, that is must my thought on the matter.

For the people that have applied already, what were your stats?

So my application was marked complete last Monday on the portal, but I didn't receive any e-mail about being complete. Have you guys received a complete e-mail?

I will post my stats once I get my decision.

Once they start looking at your application, you should get an e-mail saying that your application is under review. Just sit tight...

Great, thank you very much! Best of luck to you.

I'm also a student at the GTDT campus, feel free to let me know if you have any questions! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
What are the differences not listed in the website (looking for info based on student experiences) of the campuses?

Also, would sending in my complete application in mid January be considered late? My probable "best" LOR is from a professor who is currently out of the country and comes back early January.

It really depends on your learning style. From my understanding med campus is lecture based and you are sitting in the class with the medical students. While at the downtown campus you have a much smaller class size (22 students) and we watch/learn all of the materials before hand on our own, and then come into class and get a review or small group learning session that is lead by our team leader Dr. Castilla. We also have mandatory "clinical rotations" weekly. So we have the ability to shadow a doc during an overnight shift at the ER, shadow in the OR, work in simulation labs, volunteer in soup kitchens, etc. Overall I think the biggest difference is just your learning style! If you are the type of student who can complete work on their own time and come into class prepared, then you'll get a lot out of the downtown campus. I personally loved my decision and know that our class as a whole have been scoring higher on exams (go downtown campus!)

What are the differences not listed in the website (looking for info based on student experiences) of the campuses?

Also, would sending in my complete application in mid January be considered late? My probable "best" LOR is from a professor who is currently out of the country and comes back early January.

I think you'll be fine, I know of people who got in later on. My only advice is maybe apply earlier if you think your stats are lower than average.

I think you'll be fine, I know of people who got in later on. My only advice is maybe apply earlier if you think your stats are lower than average.

I listed my stats on a couple posts above in this thread. Would you think I am competitive based on what I have?

Is anyone planning on using their AMCAS application as supplement? If so can we turn in the application and then submit the AMCAS in after or do they have to be submitted at the same time?

Hey everyone I have been looking at this program for a few months now and really hope I can get in. I completed all portions of my application last week with my AMCAS attached within the application. Good luck to everyone who is applying!

Just realized that for I may be hearing back from this program right around Thanksgiving. Really hoping I'll have something to be thankful about!! Anybody else under review yet?

Good luck! I haven't received an e-mail about being under review yet...application has been marked as complete on the portal for roughly 2 weeks now.

Still waiting on 2 LORs. My strongest LOR is coming from a professor who is currently on vacation out of the country and won't be back until early January. I just hope sending my application out around that time isn't too late.

Yeah I was reading some of the older threads. My top 3 are Georgetown SMP, Boston MAMS, and Loyola MAMS/SMP. I know it's rolling admissions so in case I get into this program early on I'd rather just accept it outright rather than having to choose b/w a couple other programs.

Yeah I was reading some of the older threads. My top 3 are Georgetown SMP, Boston MAMS, and Loyola MAMS/SMP. I know it's rolling admissions so in case I get into this program early on I'd rather just accept it outright rather than having to choose b/w a couple other programs.

I'm applying to BU MAMS too. They don't even send out offers until February, so I wouldn't worry about it. You have plenty of time. :)

Thanks! It took exactly 30 days from the day I submitted my app til I received the email from their office telling me app was complete and under review. So you may have a little while left to go. :cool:

No problem, and damn that stinks haha...will keep waiting I guess!

Since I'm taking a lot of the first year courses at Georgetown, would I be going into med school as a second year student?

I'm debating whether or not I should apply to the Georgetown SMP program, I already have multiple acceptances from DO schools (including my top DO so I'm done interviewing at DOs) and waitlisted at my top MD school (it's a miracle they even offered me an interview, but now that I've tasted what could be, I'm considering shooting for the stars). I'm very research oriented and I have yet to encounter a single DO in the field of research I'm interested in, which is why I'm having second thoughts about DO. I took the MCAT in September 2014 though, so I don't have much time and I'd rather not have to retake it.

Does anyone have any stats of the students who have done this program and the med schools they got accepted into afterwards? During college, I never dreamed of getting accepted into med school (DO or MD), let alone turning down acceptances. The internal conflict is real right now.

^ I would not if I were you. I'd probably just retake the MCAT and take a couple more science classes.

Yeah I would if I were you. An SMP is pretty much a waste of money if your GPA isn't below ~3.3. Exhaust your options before considering it.
You honestly have a decent GPA, provided you get a stellar MCAT score. Getting ~518+, along with above average ECs, will put you in the running for some low and mid tier schools. Study as hard as you can for the MCAT, take it, then go from there.
If you have a >90 percentile, you should be good provided you apply early and broadly. If not, think about taking any classes possible that are in the BCPM category. Doesn't have to be all upper level bio. CPM is also part of the sGPA and while it might not carry as much weight as upper level bio, it will still increase your sGPA provided you get A's in those classes.
People who do traditional SMPs usually have much lower GPAs, around ~3.0-3.3 and have a really good MCAT 30+ (usually higher). The point of an SMP is to show med schools your ability to handle med school classes, serving as a viable comparison to a lackluster undergrad GPA. It does not, in any way, make up for a less-than-stellar MCAT. While your MCAT is kind of decent, you lower GPA might be cause for a retake to get a higher score for better consideration during your next app cycle.

I am in a very similar situation to @itsallgood92 I am a senior and I have a 3.52 (after junior year) and after doing some calculations I will have a 3.6-3.63 after my senior year with sGPA being 3.5-3.53. My MCAT was a 503 (127/123/126/127), which I am obviously going to retake. I just heard that doing an SMP shows you can handle the rigor of the M1 courseload. I was also thinking of doing a post-bacc and increasing my gpa to a 3.7 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA. I just feel kinda lost on what I should do for my gap year. Any advice would be appreciated!

I would like to be at a 3.7/3.6 ballpark but that requires 30 units of Post-bacc classes (full year) which is what I would do. I was planning on retaking the MCAT in January but with school it was too much so I pushed it to April. Do you know if SMP's are looked more favorably than post-bacc? My worst fear is doing SMP and doing only ok in it and that can be lethal.

Nothing yet. I was scrolling through the admissions page and on there it says we could hear back anywhere between 4-6 weeks.