Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted today as well, very heartbreaking. I submitted my application a few weeks ago, so it was relatively late. My stats are only a bit lower than the people who posted acceptances in the previous page.

I'm not too sure about how hopeful to feel, but their email and waitlist page seem reassuring. The photo on their waitlist page shows about ~40-50 people, perhaps that is around the amount that are moved from the waitlist to accepted?

I am also doing very well grade-wise in my last quarter, so hopefully they consider the increase in my GPA. However, this waitlist status does put me in a struggle in deciding what to do regarding this upcoming application cycle..

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted today as well, very heartbreaking. I submitted my application a few weeks ago, so it was relatively late. My stats are only a bit lower than the people who posted acceptances in the previous page.

I'm not too sure about how hopeful to feel, but their email and waitlist page seem reassuring. The photo on their waitlist page shows about ~40-50 people, perhaps that is around the amount that are moved from the waitlist to accepted?

I am also doing very well grade-wise in my last quarter, so hopefully they consider the increase in my GPA. However, this waitlist status does put me in a struggle in deciding what to do regarding this upcoming application cycle..

Yeah. I don't know what to make of it -- I guess we should be happy that we were not outright rejected. I know someone who applied the day before the deadline last year and was accepted. We might have just applied at the wrong time -- this is peak application time - most applicant from prev. cycle who are nervous about getting into med school are probably applying to SMP this time of the year as a backup.

Waitlisted :/

Yeah people with stats similar to me have been accepted as well -- I did apply really late. I was planning on applying to med schools this year but now I'm not sure anymore. Really starting to question my life decisions lol maybe I should stick to engineering.

I was initially waitlisted but then I emailed Amy with grade updates and I was accepted pretty shortly after. Also, many people are going to give up their seats at Georgetown. Email them and tell them you're serious about attending.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for that information, it really gives me hope. Ah, nothing like spending the whole day being sad and questioning our decisions..

Thank you for that information, it really gives me hope. Ah, nothing like spending the whole day being sad and questioning our decisions..

The waitlist page says: "If you are on the waitlist in late July/early August and are sure you will come if accepted, please let us know, as this will put you in our final select pool. "

Yeah. I don't know what to make of it -- I guess we should be happy that we were not outright rejected. I know someone who applied the day before the deadline last year and was accepted. We might have just applied at the wrong time -- this is peak application time - most applicant from prev. cycle who are nervous about getting into med school are probably applying to SMP this time of the year as a backup.

I think the problem is more that this is very very late in the cycle rather than it being peak application time. You are competing for a couple of final spots so it is likely going to be more difficult to get outright accepted.

I think the problem is more that this is very very late in the cycle rather than it being peak application time. You are competing for a couple of final spots so it is likely going to be more difficult to get outright accepted.

Yeah it is rolling admission -- important lesson to be learned here for med school cycle.

Hey guys I was wondering how long it took for Georgetown to mark that they received your transcripts on your applications? I sent mine about ten days ago, which I know is within the two week window they give for them to be processed, but I am just a little paranoid because I think the transcripts probably should have arrived by now. Thanks for any help you can give!

Hey everyone- I just found out I was accepted to the SMP yesterday after being on the waitlist for a little over 2 months! (3/13 was the waitlist notification)

I sent them an update immediately after receiving the waitlist notification which included ACT/SAT score reports (since other special masters-type programs had asked for them, so I figured it might be helpful information to have) as well as screenshots of AAMC practice MCATs- I was someone whose practice scores were light years better than the real MCAT turned out so I thought the practice scores might help to give an additional perspective on academic ability.

Then about a week ago I sent an additional update with practice scores for the new psych/soc. section of the 2015 MCAT (taking it in June ahh!) since that was never on a previous test. I also attached a copy of the draft of my new personal statement for the 2016 cycle since I completely overhauled the version I sent last year, and also included a statement of intent for the SMP.

Bottom line is it's definitely possible to be accepted off the waitlist so don't get too discouraged, and try to be proactive and communicate continued interest in the program since that seemed to help me. So excited for the fall and I hope this helps!

I have a question to people currently in the program..

I read that they release your grades to schools you applied to after the first semester. Does this not hurt your application to have schools wait for your updated grades before looking at your application? Would it not be better to just apply and not have the SMP program delay your application like that?

Also, do you know if this delay will occur with DO schools as well, or just MD?

Thank you!

I have a question to people currently in the program..

I read that they release your grades to schools you applied to after the first semester. Does this not hurt your application to have schools wait for your updated grades before looking at your application? Would it not be better to just apply and not have the SMP program delay your application like that?

Also, do you know if this delay will occur with DO schools as well, or just MD?

Thank you!
Whether an admissions office waits for your fall semester grades to review your application depends on the school. Three of the schools I applied to sent me interview invites well before the fall semester was over while a couple explicitly stated that they were waiting for my fall semester transcript. The best thing you can do is just to call the school and find out what they do.

As for when you should submit your primary and secondaries as an SMP student, I would say that you should submit immediately. The SMP website has instructions and a suggested timeline: http://smp.georgetown.edu/acceptedstudents/haveyoudone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has any of the accepted+confirmed going students received information on FAFSA aid yet? I've been checking MyAccess and calling the GU financial aid office but I haven't been able to find out on when to expect to hear about this.

Has anyone opted to go with the downtown campus. I understand the track is new but any additional details about Biomedical Career Explorations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone opted to go with the downtown campus. I understand the track is new but any additional details about Biomedical Career Explorations?

i am doing the downtown campus. i feel like the learning style is more me, i dk. also, the location is better i think. the biomedical career explorations class is detailed in the admitted students chat transcript, if you're on the smp google group. plenty of info there

Hi folks, I was admitted to SMP a week ago (yay!) and I'm trying to figure out how to select GUMC as my preferred campus. If it matters, I submitted my deposit today as well. Please advise! ^.^

Hi folks, I was admitted to SMP a week ago (yay!) and I'm trying to figure out how to select GUMC as my preferred campus. If it matters, I submitted my deposit today as well. Please advise! ^.^
the downtown campus is already full, so you are guaranteed a spot at GUMC. since you just submitted your deposit, amy will likely send you the google form that allows you to select which campus you'd like.

@benjaminl1nus I figured a majority of the class would want to go for GTDT. personally I think I'd be better suited for GUMC. Thank you for letting me know! How soon did she send you that form after you submitted your deposit?

Admissions update on SMPs into GUSOM? Are acceptances still being passed out regularly for the summer or has it slowed down? Any word from the admissions office on this topic?

Admissions update on SMPs into GUSOM? Are acceptances still being passed out regularly for the summer or has it slowed down? Any word from the admissions office on this topic?
It looks like 25 SMP students were accepted to GUSOM already. I'm not sure if there will be much more movement.

It looks like 25 SMP students were accepted to GUSOM already. I'm not sure if there will be much more movement.
I'm not sure this is true... Where did you find this out? I have a friend currently in the SMP and they've said only ~16-17 SMPs from this year have gotten into GUSOM so far.

I'm not sure this is true... Where did you find this out? I have a friend currently in the SMP and they've said only ~16-17 SMPs from this year have gotten into GUSOM so far.
We just got an email about meeting and it was addressed to 25 students. It may be that a few of them are from the Gsquared program perhaps?

We just got an email about meeting and it was addressed to 25 students. It may be that a few of them are from the Gsquared program perhaps?
That could be!

Seriously regretting giving up my spot here. It was just too expensive, but best of luck to everyone attending, and also to those not. May we all reach our goals :)

Seriously regretting giving up my spot here. It was just too expensive, but best of luck to everyone attending, and also to those not. May we all reach our goals :)
i feel you. projected COA is nearly 80k. that is a ton :/

A couple over the past few days. Super exciting!! :) Probably around 18-20 now.

well hey there everybody. just got the email yesterday that I was accepted into SMP! Hoping to hear from financial aid soon since I left my leftover $50k in my other pant pocket. Seems like I may have applied an teensy bit later than others so its a tiny miracle I got accepted. Can't wait to meet everyone! I'm a MD resident but would love to move closer to GUMC. I lose all basic driving abilities when in DC. UMD 14' graduate if there are any other survivors out there.

Reactions: 2 users
In case anyone was wondering about the financial aid, I just got a response from Amy who told me that we should expect fafsa awards to come out in the new few weeks! Apparently it's awarded late because of all the movement from accepted and waitlisted students.

Waitlisted 5/19, just got accepted today! I am pretty excited for next year and cannot wait to meet everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted as well. 80k is a basically all my savings -- its a lot of money. I'm not sure if I will be attending. :/

Accepted as well. 80k is a basically all my savings -- its a lot of money. I'm not sure if I will be attending. :/
well i have $0 in savings, so I'm feeling a little more queasy about signing up for this program than you ;)

Loans will become your close friend over the next few years.

I spoke with a few adcoms at different med schools (including Georgetown) and the response I received was that I don't need an smp -- they all asked me to retake the MCAT and apply. So I'm planning to retake the MCAT. Will be applying next cycle. Good luck everyone!

Anyone else reviewing biochem before class starts? Trying to figure out material to study and what to gloss over.

Usually I'd be giving that advice too, but I've been having a fun three years since graduating :) ready to get to work!
fair enough. hit the high points then. krebs, ETC.

I've also heard that looking through some anatomy is worthwhile?

Anyone else reviewing biochem before class starts? Trying to figure out material to study and what to gloss over.
My personal opinion is that you should enjoy your summer break because the year is going to be rough. I had two gap years and I still felt burnt out by January. I think it's best to just wait until you are presented the material in class--professors write their exam questions based on what they present in class and include in their handouts. If you study too hard now, you definitely run the risk of learning material you don't need to know or glossing over specific facts professors may emphasize. I often think that the hardest part of studying is figuring out what you need to study...

So my advice is that your studying habits during the academic year are going to be much more crucial to your success than any extra studying done over the summer. And getting burnt out early would be a much harder problem to deal with because we don't get much vacation time. FYI: Winter break won't feel like winter break because it's in the middle of the Cardiopulmonary (CP) module. The CP module is arguably the most important class because it's worth a whopping 5 credits and many people claim it's a major grade that GUSOM will look at when sending out interviews in the spring.

fair enough. hit the high points then. krebs, ETC.

I've also heard that looking through some anatomy is worthwhile?
I do agree that if you're crazy gungho and going to study anything over the summer, you should be looking at Grey's Anatomy. In particular, I'd get really familiar with the thorax and abdomen for the cardiopulmonary and gastrointestinal modules.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that you should enjoy your summer break because the year is going to be rough. I had two gap years and I still felt burnt out by January. I think it's best to just wait until you are presented the material in class--professors write their exam questions based on what they present in class and include in their handouts. If you study too hard now, you definitely run the risk of learning material you don't need to know or glossing over specific facts professors may emphasize. I often think that the hardest part of studying is figuring out what you need to study...

So my advice is that your studying habits during the academic year are going to be much more crucial to your success than any extra studying done over the summer. And getting burnt out early would be a much harder problem to deal with because we don't get much vacation time. FYI: Winter break won't feel like winter break because it's in the middle of the Cardiopulmonary (CP) module. The CP module is arguably the most important class because it's worth a whopping 5 credits and many people claim it's a major grade that GUSOM will look at when sending out interviews in the spring.

This is great advice, thank your for sharing. Quickly, is Thanksgiving break during a course as well?

This is great advice, thank your for sharing. Quickly, is Thanksgiving break during a course as well?
For Thanksgiving, you get three days off (Wed-Fri) so it's a slight break. This past year, the CP module did begin four days before Thanksgiving break but since it was early into the module, you get to enjoy the short holiday more.

For Thanksgiving, you get three days off (Wed-Fri) so it's a slight break. This past year, the CP module did begin four days before Thanksgiving break but since it was early into the module, you get to enjoy the short holiday more.
Thanks for the tips. Do you remember when the CP module final was?

Thanks for the tips. Do you remember when the CP module final was?
Generally, you're going to have an exam every two or three weeks the entire year. Most modules have at least two lecture exams (exceptions would include shorter modules like Renal) and gross anatomy exams when you're studying systems. So yes, you'll be taking a midterm just two weeks into the program in August!!

For CP this year, your first lecture exam will be Dec 17th and then the second lecture exam and anatomy exam will be on January 14th while winter break is scheduled for Dec 21 to Jan 1. The main reason why you'll be studying pretty hard over winter break is because you have your gross anatomy lectures and labs before winter break but the exam for that material is two weeks after the break... And if I remember correctly, there is a online histology lecture/workshop that you have to do on your own time over the break.

Just FYI: as SMP students, you won't be doing dissections and will be viewing electronic prosections instead. So for the gross anatomy exams, you'll only take the multiple choice portion which often has around 10 additional questions so the point worth matches up with the med students who take a table quiz in addition to MC.

Last edited:
Generally, you're going to have an exam every two or three weeks the entire year. Most modules have at least two lecture exams (exceptions would include shorter modules like Renal) and gross anatomy exams when you're studying systems. So yes, you'll be taking a midterm just two weeks into the program in August!!

For CP this year, your first lecture exam will be Dec 17th and then the second lecture exam and anatomy exam will be on January 14th while winter break is scheduled for Dec 21 to Jan 1. The main reason why you'll be studying pretty hard over winter break is because you have your gross anatomy lectures and labs before winter break but the exam for that material is two weeks after the break... And if I remember correctly, there is a online histology lecture/workshop that you have to do on your own time over the break.

Just FYI: as SMP students, you won't be doing dissections and will be viewing electronic prosections instead. So for the gross anatomy exams, you'll only take the multiple choice portion which often has around 10 additional questions so the point worth matches up with the med students who take a table quiz in addition to MC.
Where did you find the dates for exams?

Where did you find the dates for exams?
I'm an incoming M1 and we just got our calendars. SMP and M1 exam dates are the same for the modules they share. You'll get your Google calendar soon, they'll send a link out via the Google group! I can't remember exactly when it goes out but it probably takes longer since they need to arrange the graduate classes.

Do we have counselors / advisors we can talk to when we have questions regarding the amcas or retaking the MCAT? Or should we just direct all questions to Amy?

Do we have counselors / advisors we can talk to when we have questions regarding the amcas or retaking the MCAT? Or should we just direct all questions to Amy?
You'll be assigned a letter writer who could act as an advisor but in general, Amy or Dr. Susan Mulroney are your best resources for questions regarding topics like AMCAS, MCAT, and rec letters.

I'm an incoming M1 and we just got our calendars. SMP and M1 exam dates are the same for the modules they share. You'll get your Google calendar soon, they'll send a link out via the Google group! I can't remember exactly when it goes out but it probably takes longer since they need to arrange the graduate classes.
would you mind posting exam dates for the SMP/M1 shared modules ?